Possible Neuropathy?

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi folks, I have bene suffering from numbness in my left foot and sometimes in my right foot also when running ( recently re-taken up to help me shift some weight and consequently help my T2 and High BP. I get to 3 miles and it starts and I feel like I am running on a stump, sometimes 2 stumps if my right foot goes too. I saw my DN today and she said it is possibly neuropathy and to see my doctor about it. I will do that, but aren't the DN's supposed to do these tests? I'm really worried now, does this mean I have got it for life and will it get worse? Is there anything I can do to help it get better? Running has given me so much pleasure and I would be so disappointed to have to give it up now :(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi folks, I have bene suffering from numbness in my left foot and sometimes in my right foot also when running ( recently re-taken up to help me shift some weight and consequently help my T2 and High BP. I get to 3 miles and it starts and I feel like I am running on a stump, sometimes 2 stumps if my right foot goes too. I saw my DN today and she said it is possibly neuropathy and to see my doctor about it. I will do that, but aren't the DN's supposed to do these tests? I'm really worried now, does this mean I have got it for life and will it get worse? Is there anything I can do to help it get better? Running has given me so much pleasure and I would be so disappointed to have to give it up now :(
Hello,TracyC,
I had neuropathy when first diagnosed,and it was only when i found this forum and followed the great advice ,that my bs's came down from 26.6 mmols to todays average of 4.0 mmols.....once my bs got down to about 5.5 mmols all the neuropathy in my feet disappeared...and as i lost weight from 17 st 8 lbs to todays 12 st 8 lbs happy to say it has not come back( this over a period of about 14 months..so take control and you will beat this,
Ps i do lchf regime and portion control too, any q's please feel free,clive

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hello,TracyC,
I had neuropathy when first diagnosed,and it was only when i found this forum and followed the great advice ,that my bs's came down from 26.6 mmols to todays average of 4.0 mmols.....once my bs got down to about 5.5 mmols all the neuropathy in my feet disappeared...and as i lost weight from 17 st 8 lbs to todays 12 st 8 lbs happy to say it has not come back( this over a period of about 14 months..so take control and you will beat this,
Ps i do lchf regime and portion control too, any q's please feel free,clive
Thank you so so much for this post, it's really appreciated. When I first got my diagnosis I was very strict with my diet but these last couple of weeks I have let it slip a bit ( no where close to where it was before )...this post has given me the motivation I need to get back on track in a more serious fashion! I do worry because I had these symptoms long before my diagnosis, so I think I have been diabetic a very long time, so not sure exactly how much damage has been done before I even realised. I will give myself the best chance though. Again, well done... thats an amazing turn around you have accomplished, thank you for the inspiration!

Tracy x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Welcome,as i say most of the neuropathy can be reversed,and like yourself i'm sure i was diabetic for quiet a while before finally being diagnosed t2 , can recommend a very good book by Dr R. Bernstein : Diabetes explained 4 th edition , it has helped me understand the illness so much better,keep posting,clive

mike71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rainy days and Mondays
Hi all, I don't have or get numb but sometimes my little fingers and big toes will get cold, is this the start of neuropathy or just bad circulation?

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you can stand on one foot with your eyes closed for 30 seconds then your nerve function is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app