Post Exercise Snack?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
What does everyone use as a snack post exercise to stop themselves going too stop my liver kicking out to much nono juice please?
I was 4.9 so have just had 30 gram cheddar and a crackerbread and am about to have my 250ml bed time milk. I will test in about 30 mins but looking for ideas as still vague on post exercise snack ideas side.

Thanks
MID
:)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Cereal bar or maybe a banana or something, depends how long I've been working out for.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
protein, the period of 20 minutes after you stop exercising is the best time to eat, you muscles are desperately trying to find something to repair themselves and at their most receptive...... apparently

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ok thanks :) l took crackerbread and spread butter thinking carbs and 30g cheddar for protein just had my milk at 45mins.... bit late but better than not having it at all. So sort of there will do cheddar and milk in future. Just done and l am 5.7 at 45 mins post.

Thanks
MID:happy: *burp*

noorin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey..
I suggest you to take protein no matter in which shape you like to take.. or try milk or diet shake .. These would be effective for you and your energy level

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Opps sorry should have updated. On my nightly evening excercise l now have a protein drink l put in my milk. Yummmmm. I checked back and felt my protein intake was not up to full amount and with all the excercise l do l needed a boost.
On day with the PT l get home and eat a chunk of cheese but may change it to the protein drink as the night time excercise is definatly not up to isuall standard.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing wrong with what you are doing except when I do it I just drink water because I will get cramps later if I don't. There is nothing wrong with a 4.9. You can let it go down until your own homeostasis decide you need topping up, usually around 4.0. If you are just on Metformin, it is quite normal. Everytime your liver adds some glucose to your body via the process known as gluconeogenesis, you are losing a tiny bit of weight. And, since you lose weight in your liver and pancreas first, in the various triaglycerides and fatty acids there, it is benefical. People on stronger meds or insulin have to be very careful of course, but their meds act in different ways.

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Yorksman l didnt realise that did think the aim was to stop liver dumps but you seem to say no or not to worry so long as only sometimes post excercise on good diet?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good diet and exercise are very effective ways of controlling diabetes, probably as good as Metformin, better some people claim, but it is important to understand that 'liver dump' is perfectly normal and happens at regular intervals. It is nothing to do with diabetes.

All humans function within narrow ranges for many values, body temperature, glucose levels, salt and iron levels, hydration and so on. Nothing is ever constant and your body's own homeostatic processes attempt to keep it within strict ranges. Consequently, there are small fluctuations. Take body temperature for example. Below is a graph of how this fluctuates during the day:

Body_Temp_Variation.png

Blood glucose levels fluctuate in a similar way but are complex because we eat at regular intervals, ie adding to the total store and we are active, depleting the total store. Nonetheless, if you ate nothing and laid in bed for several days, your body will keep you within the same limits. For most type 2 diabetics on meds like metformin, the problem is hyperglycaemia, ie stopping the BG level going too high, because something is wrong with the insulin response. Most of these people do not have to concern themselves with hypoglycaemia because the gluconeogenic response is fine. Hypoglycaemia is a problem faced by those who take stronger meds or insulin. They do need to be careful. Normally:

At about 3.8 Glucagon is released.
At about 4.6 Insulin secretion decreases
At about 5.5 Insulin secretion increases
At > 8.0 the renal threshold for glucose is passed and the excess starts to be urinated out of the system.

The 'Happy Zone' is 4.6 to 5.5 but, because we eat and work and play the body has upper and lower limit safety valves.

Below is a graph of someone with diabetes showing how BG levels fluctuate when monitored by CGM and finger prick. Notice that meal times increase the overall level, too much in the case of a diabetic, because the insulin response is not adequate, but notice how it also starts to go up whenever it gets low, even when nothing is eaten.

EU140111enlite_graph.jpg

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Good points l keep thinking of liver dumps as the enemy but in a way they are a mix of both. l am paranoid about high l get upset if l go over 6.
l know l do go up that at times and it isnt recorded on finger prick for various reasons didnt check at right time etc. hence try be very strict with myself food wise.
Lowest l have recorded on me is 4.2 the other day and l felt fine usually a low of around 4.5 or 4.9
Need to stop beating myself up over it 6+
Since low carbing think highest was about 6.6 and usualy《 5.5

From the fact l am loosing weight l have to assume l am 3.8 a lot more than l realise and so that l go above 6 is not something to get upset over so long as l am doing the best l can with everything.

Thanks for the info has all go e into the grey matter to be further digested :)