Post Prandial Sleepiness.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before diagnosis. I used to become incredibly sleepy after meals. That no longer happens, though I do notice tiredness after a higher than usual carb meal.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their post prandial awakeness pre and post diagnosis as Hba1C improves?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Indeed, I have. Before I was diagnosed I had put it down to just getting older and a dozen google searches revealed no information so I was unaware of this possibly being a symptom of high blood glucose. As the months since diagnosis have passed (with the decreased amount of carbs in my diet) I have noticed a lessening of post prandial fatigue to the point that it is becoming far and few between that it happens and when it does I put it down to a raised carb count now.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I used to eat a carby lunch at my sons and fall asleep, which was rather annoying having driven for two hours to see the grandchildren. I never twigged that two slices of white bread were making me sleepy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Before diagnosis I used to drop off on the sofa after dinner almost every night. That has completely changed - much more energy. Now if I start feeling sleepy after dinner it’s because I’m tired rather than because I’m full of sugar (and my meter confirms it).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A symptom of RH is drowsiness, falling asleep, and the opposite lack of sleep.
I believe that fluctuations and both high and low glucose levels as well as any imbalance in your hormones will give you these symptoms.
Gone are the days, nodding off during the day and wide awake at night.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely! As Guzzler said I just put it down to getting older. Now my HbA1c is non diabetic I feel way less tired in the daytime but sleep well at night.