PPL stopped

Adie C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

ive been a type 1 for 47 years and my son 16 has been since 16 months. Question is he has just had his PPL stopped as he didnt get enough points. He cannot yet tell a hypo and his mum has to listen out over night for him so tk day he doesnt qualify i dont understand. Any ideas please

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Adie C Has he just turned 16? Was it only the diabetes he was receiving it for?

Were you given any reasons apart from 'not enough points'?

I'm going to move your post into the Benefits section further down the forum list and I hope you'll get more replies there : )

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi.

ive been a type 1 for 47 years and my son 16 has been since 16 months. Question is he has just had his PPL stopped as he didnt get enough points. He cannot yet tell a hypo and his mum has to listen out over night for him so tk day he doesnt qualify i dont understand. Any ideas please

If you mean PIP then appeal by asking for a mandatory reconsideration then if no joy go to appeal. Do ask for the statement of reasons ie the assessors report.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The requirements to qualify for PIP are very different to qualifying for DLA. PIP is points based on 10 daily living areas and 2 mobility areas, unlike DLA which could be awarded on basis of needing supervision / attention / watching over at night.

Reactions: 2 people

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My daughter now 13yrs was getting dla for 2 years then had to re-apply before her 13th birthday and was refused even though nothing had changed. Asked for a re- consideration which was also turned down so went to appeal and to be honest I couldn't believe the people we were dealing with the doctor couldn't read properly and the dwp representative had to be told 3 times to continue reading the diary we done you have to turn the page even the judge had to tell her to turn the page. We was refused again even with loads of evidence. They seem to think when a child turns 13 they can be responsible for changing needles, insulin cartridges, weighing there food and working out there insulin ratio even if they could they still need supervision insulin is a dangerous drug. Plus she needs supervision while out cos if she went hypo she would become confused and not know where she is. Sometimes she has no hypo awareness. I just don't think they understand diabetes. I'm not giving up they are doing so many cut backs that there's people who need it who have to fight to get it.