Pre-D Advice and What to expect from OGTT

Fopd

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
First post. 51yr M .Just wondering if OGTT can actually improve or once it is abnormal it only stays the same or gets worse.
I was diagnosed pre-d on 9/2016 with a Fasting of 5.6 and a 2hr OGTT of 10.6. My previous readings over the years were as below.I was never informed that I was borderline pre-d in the past even though ,looking back at these results I can see Impaired results 9 years ago.I take no medication{ for diabetes} and have no symptoms.All other bloodwork except HDL-C is normal.
Fasting Results 5/03 5.8 mmol/L , 3/08 5.0 , 7/2015 5.4 , 9/2016 6.4 Impaired then 2 weeks later 5.6 when the OGTT was taken.

HBA1C 10/07 5.4%, 03/08 6.4% (never mentioned by DR) 12/2016 5.0% and most recent 10/2017 4.8%

Just wondering where you think I am in the scheme of things and whether I can hope for a OGTT improvement.I have also gone low carb since 10/2016 and lost about 28kg.

DW

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Are you about to have another OGTT from your doctor?

As you follow a low carb diet it is wise to eat at least 150g carbs a day for 3 days prior to the test or your results won't be accurate. These are the instructions issued to doctors, although they may not pass the information on to you in the belief you eat a "normal diet" of more carbs than that. On a low carb diet your pancreas produces less insulin, because you don't need anywhere near as much. It becomes used to this. If you then suddenly give it a big hit with 75g pure glucose, it has a shock and won't produce enough insulin to cover the glucose. You are likely to fail the test.

If your other glucose markers have improved (HbA1c and self testing) I can't see any reason why an OGTT won't, especially with your latest glucose markers.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I doubt they will run another OGTT on you with your HBA1c well within the normal range.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was just thinking what the reason is for a further two hour OGTT?

Your Hba1c levels are in normal levels.
Your fasting levels are normal.

Do you test?

Best wishes

Fopd

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for the replies. My doctor did suggest another OGTT but I was a bit reluctant as I'm not sure of the implications(work and insurance wise) if I fail and am diagnosed T2. Yes I do have a test unit and generally is under 7 after meals. I have seen 10 after I had a generous amount of Fish and Chips so generally avoid high carb meals.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. My doctor did suggest another OGTT but I was a bit reluctant as I'm not sure of the implications(work and insurance wise) if I fail and am diagnosed T2.

He may well have suggested one to confirm you have reversed your pre-diabetes and lost any insulin resistance you may have had when diagnosed. If you are worried about failing the test, you must definitely "carb up" beforehand.