Pre-Diabetes and Menopause

Nancy

Hello -

I am 53 years old with a strong history of diabetes in my family. I have known for about 20 years that I was pre-diabetic. I have worked hard over the years to eat a good diet and maintain my weight but my A1C test (this is what we call the 90 day blood sugar blood test to show average numbers in the states) is creeping up and my doctor is suggesting it may be time for me to start on medication. I have often used a chinese doctor and herbalist for health issues and she is suggesting this could be due to menopause and that once I get through it my numbers may level out again. She says some people stay pre-diabetic their entire lives. Has anyone else noticed this during menopause or have any information regarding this?

Also, if I do start on medication, I'd like to know the experiences of others and what they found works best. I have an inherent distrust of the power the drug companies have in my country and their influence on doctors and often look to regulation in the UK to add to my research on issues.

This is hitting at a difficult time (menopause) and my feelings and mood about it swing wildly from thinking "not a big deal, I'll just deal with it" to feeling like there is a dark cloud hanging over me.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I am thrilled I found this informative site.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Nancy,welcome to the forum.I take it you are in the US then? Menopause is not a great time especially if you feel the urge to comfort eat when you are feeling down!!I can suggest that ,for your rising figures, you try cutting back on eating carbs.Now that is going to be real difficult if you comfort eat!!Another thing you could try is get hold of a blood testing monitor and test your blood during the day to see if your blood sugars are raised.Did the doctor tell you what your A1c was ,by any chance?
Have a good read round the forum and you will find a lot of help and advice about diabetes and diet.
Keep asking questions as well.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am past 60 and so post menopause. I find now that the carb cravings I had as a young woman in the pre-menstrual week are just not there any more. i can keep low carb far beter now.

Nancy

Re: Pre-Diabetes and Menopause (Toeing the Line)

Thanks very much for your responses.

My A1C has always been around 6.0 over the years give or take a point or two. My last one was 6.6. That is the highest it has every been. My doctor wants me to see if I can manage it over the next few months and have another test done. Yes, I am monitoring my blood. Sometimes it is in what they call the normal range two hours after eating (120) other times it's quite a bit higher (160 - 190).

My doctor wants me to stay off medication as long as I can because she said I will start fighting hypoglycemia if I go on something, but from what I am reading in this forum, there are drugs that don't give you hypoglycemia.

I don't know if it makes a difference in what drug they might give me, but I am, and always have been, very thin. With my new carb-counting diet I have lost weight that I really didn't have to give but am still in the phase of not being always being sure what I can/cannot and should/should not eat.

Any ideas you have for me is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Katharine

The low carb diet for diabetes is pretty straightforward.

Eggs and fish/meat /veg for breakfast.

meat and salad veg for lunch.

meat and salad veg for evening meal.

This is pretty strict but you can add in more fruit, legumes and grains if your blood sugars are coming in at the targets you want.

The site at http://www.dsolve.com will help.

The modules on Dr Annika's diet and how to Eat to Meter will be a good start for you.

SilverAndEbony

Katherine,

Your description of a low-carb diet shows exactly where my problem is with it.....
I don't eat eggs or fish at all and only a little meat. I don't eat much meat because I don't like it.

Back to Nancy's original question....
I have Type 2 and am 'enjoying' the menopause. I never considered how the menopause might be affecting my blood glucose levels. I get really bad night sweats and mood swings. When I'm feeling down I tend to want to eat lots of carbs, which I am consciously trying to control now. But how do I find a good low carb eating plan!