pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have you tried upping your intake of high-fibre foods like raw carrots? That, combined with daily walking (currently averaging around 12,000 steps) seems to be the best way to get morning readings well below 6, even with moderate carb intake. Also, I've learned to wait at least 30 - 45 min, or even an hour after arriving before I test. After all, when I get an FBS done at the lab, I've already been up at least that long.

Reactions: kumera

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 @ 7am "An elevated morning fbg shouldn’t be nearly as bad as a risk factor if it’s in isolation, it’s what happens over the full 24 hours that matters most" I think I'll cut down on testing FBG. Silly getting up at 6am just to prove I can have a great FBG ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and Jamesuk9

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You blood glucose goes up and down all the time. When you checked it could be on its way down or up. I can be 4.7 at 6am then 5.4 at 8am then back to 4s by 9am. But if I eat later or the food I eat is slower to release to carbs it will delay the cycle.

Depending on what food you eat will dictate how fast the body deals with it and could mean you've hit low 4s by 2am and by 3am the liver gets the message to release glucose as I'm too low and then it starts rise but as the body uses up the glucose it goes down again and the cycle repeats.
I wonder if I ever will get down to 4.7??

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 @ 7am "An elevated morning fbg shouldn’t be nearly as bad as a risk factor if it’s in isolation, it’s what happens over the full 24 hours that matters most" I think I'll cut down on testing FBG. Silly getting up at 6am just to prove I can have a great FBG ;)
It's actually the number we have little control over... I fast high, compared to many, but I move very little when eating and do drop during the day.... Hence the last A1C of 38.

No amount of exercise, weight loss or carb restriction seems to matter.

I'll have a new a1c result on Monday since I went low carb, I'm hoping it's improved but I'm not expecting by much.

Reactions: kumera

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm stuck now at 6.4 to 6.5 every morning, it won't budge. I had fewer carbs than usual yesterday, ate dinner earlier and did a spurt of exercise in the evening. It was 5 when I went to bed. The morning result...the same 6.4.
I give up on the fasting test.

Reactions: Prem51

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 :) Had vegies as late night snack, fish for dinner, no carbs, no fat, slept in as well. Strange, but good :D

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm stuck now at 6.4 to 6.5 every morning, it won't budge. I had fewer carbs than usual yesterday, ate dinner earlier and did a spurt of exercise in the evening. It was 5 when I went to bed. The morning result...the same 6.4.
I give up on the fasting test.
It's very difficult to keep the same FBG every morning. For me, already skinny, no bellyfat anymore, I have had great results with relaxing the diet, eating more carbs, with fat and protein, and having dinner around 7.30pm, getting quite full, no evening snack. That's when my FBG is at the lowest, plus it makes me happy :) Maybe the stress affects the number?? Testing your BG can be quite addictive, like weighing yourself 3 times a day when on a diet. Maybe just relax a bit, as long as the numbers are under diabetic level, you're eating healthy, exercises, who cares. You're doing a lot better than a lot of people :)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c result in 38 last time (June 2016) to 34 this time (5.6-5.3)

Discussed my concerns over fasting and high post prandial under carb load with my doc, she said just keep doing what you're doing, I wouldn't even consider intervening below 6.5 a1c

Just keep an eye on it she said, don't get too concerned.

Last edited:

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6am 5.9, 7am 6.1, went for 30min walk with my puppy, no food, then 8am 5.8? My BG usually goes up after exercise. Definitely harder to eat to the meter in the weekends.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get that too, but these days it's always goes low after exercise. Just had a party and knowing it was high carb, I decided to do some cardio and got 3.8mmol/l. I guess I was never high, or by body has given up.
That's very very good, I reckon having more muscle helps as well. I've only just started with the weight loss and diet and not really put much effort into exercise yet. Too hot here at the moment ;) I want to try out some weights and HIIT. Seems like both helps with the BG. But seriously, you're doing amazing :D

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my hba1c this week I'm taking a break from testing and concentrating on weight gain and my upcoming hospital scans for a few weeks....

Although I did take a sneaky pre meal check tonight 5.4@8pm

Reactions: Prem51 and kumera

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 ( But have just eaten a No Sugar Caramel sweetie and had my BP meds ) :banghead: