Pre-diabetes

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a1c 7.6% made you diabetic...lifetime remission is as good as it gets :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is pre-diabetes curable?

I see pre-diabetes as a warning state, rather than a condition per se. A significant percentage of those assessed as pre-diabetic don't go on to develop a diabetic status, even where they take no avoiding action.

That's just my view, and not said for provocation.

Reactions: 2 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would like to be reclassified as pre-diabetic.

No label ( sort of) but they still keep an eye on you. :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see pre-diabetes as a warning state, rather than a condition per se. A significant percentage of those assessed as pre-diabetic don't go on to develop a diabetic status, even where they take no avoiding action.

That's just my view, and not said for provocation.
agreed, and if you do look after yourself by NHS standards et al, two thirds of pre diabetics don't go on to diabetes,

no one likes a label

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

You are young and now have a golden opportunity to use diet and exercise to do the very best you can not to become D2 .

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are
Diagnosed Oct 2013 HbA1c 7.4% (57)

now in remission
-------------- Nov 2014 Hba1c 5.3% (34)

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever had one reading that was in the diabetic range ever.

NICE recommend two readings for a diagnosis.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @jack412 suggests once you are diabetic then you can be in remission at best from then on.

But people can be taken off the diabetes register. I understand that @AndBreath managed it only a couple of weeks ago.

I also understand that there is no fixed protocol about how and when people are taken off the register. It is up to your GP.

You may have to convince him to authorize hba1c and Glucose tolerance tests and pass those to manage it.

I am not sure that you would then have the same level of medical follow up as you go when on the Register,

Best of luck

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think I have asked this before, but; when you started testing did you ever see any diabetic level scores? Did your HbA1c used to diagnose you include any other tests, which might have included a fasting glucose score?

Within the guidelines, I believe there are parameters out with which a diagnosis can be made on a single test.

Reactions: 3 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't get my meter until a couple of weeks after so I've personally NEVER seen a diabetic reading from myself.

I understand that diagnoses can be made on a single test. NICE only offer guidance not rules.

If I was well into diabetes range I would not bother but my one and only reading is quite a low one anyway....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't get my meter until a couple of weeks after so I've personally NEVER seen a diabetic reading from myself.

I understand that diagnoses can be made on a single test. NICE only offer guidance not rules.

If I was well into diabetes range I would not bother but my one and only reading is quite a low one anyway....

I think it extremely unlikely that a non-diabetic with a few diabetic blood score episodes could produce an HbA1c of almost a whole percent above the diagnostic threshold. That figure isn't that borderline, in my view. I really dislike labels too, so I do empathise with that aspect of your posting.

If you want to do something about this Vinny, then I suggest you book an appointment with your GP, not the nurse. The GP. At that appointment discuss what you would like to happen, and be prepared to negotiate a structured approach if you don't get what you want immediately. By that I mean, "If I have another A1c score under x, can we review this again?"

I would suggest you open by asking what your practise policy is for individuals like yourself who have achieved a number of non-diabetic A1cs, and have a discussion. Going in telling them, straight up front you what you want may not get the approach you desire. Some people like to act on their "own ideas". Let's face it, at the end of the day, your GP will decide what he does or doesn't do, so no point falling out over it.

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.

I didn't expect my GP to suggest removing me from the register when she did, but it was the second time I had brought up the "what happens in the future" conversation, and she had clearly been doing some thinking and homework. For example, at the second discussion she was bang up to date with Prof Taylor's work, whereas on the previous occasion she had never heard of him.

At the end of the day you can also influence how people label you. How do you refer to this status with friends and family?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe

I tell friends and family that the GP told me I was 'in the diabetic range.'

He's right I'm sure - I just have a niggling doubt that won't go away!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe

I tell friends and family that the GP told me I was 'in the diabetic range.'

He's right I'm sure - I just have a niggling doubt that won't go away!

I'd advise you find a way to accept the initial result and move on in whatever way you choose because there is no way you can ever realistically challenge the initial test after this period of time. You have made too many changes to be able to replicate the tests you underwent last year.

For me, acceptance was all part of my embracing the changes I needed to make and resolving to make them effective for the balance of my life. The fact that my body appears more tolerant to carbs these days is nice, but pushing the envelope too far could move through a pleasurable experience to diabetic Russian roulette quite quickly.

I have only told a handful of people, aside from those closest to me, that I am diabetic. Whilst people may pass comment, most are only interested for the length of time it's being discussed, in my view. If I am asked why I might be passing on pudding, or whatever, I explain my body doesn't cope so well with carbs these days, so Im careful. I have never thereafter been encouraged to indulge. There are a good many conditions where food intolerances are at play. We had lunch on Sunday with friends who were telling us their little granddaughter, who is just under 3, can't eat sugar, gluten, fruit and a few other things. She's not diabetic (although over time, I'd be interested to hear how she does), but her diet is very close to a tightly low carbing T2. I didn't ask what her label is, as I don't really need to know. Poor mite.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Vinny James and I'm a type 2 diabetic.

I just wanna find an appropriate management technique.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

An a1c of 7.5 means you had MANY readings, over 3 months, over the diabetic diagnosis cutoff.

When they talk about 2 readings, they mean 2 fasting readings, taken on different days.

Sorry to be the bearer...