1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pre employment medical questionnaire

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Peppergirl, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I have to fill in a medical questionnaire and take it with me to interview in sealed envelope. OK to declare type 1 and high blood pressure (all controlled well) but its asking me if I give permission for my GP to release my medical records. It is also asking about time off work in the last 12 months. Do I need to declare this? I know that employers aren't supposed to discriminate but...I have suspected early onset MS (waiting for tests) but I was diagnosed with a one off neurological episode last year which I will have to declare. I took some time off work (signed off) for a couple of months, then my fixed contract ended (which I was wanted anyway). Now working in temp role since September 2016.

I suppose I've got no choice, but as I'm going for an office job (council), I don't know why it would need my GP records?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

No expert on such matters but I think giving permission to access your medical records will work in your favour, if you decline they might think you have something to hide @Peppergirl.

As for declaring your time off work, I would but would follow-up with an explanation why you needed to take time off.

Just my thoughts...........

3. Sparrow456

Sparrow456 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You really have to tell them because if they find out at a later date you can be sacked for falsifying your application form. Although they are asking to see your medical records they should not need to unless they need more information other than what you provide. It may of course be that as a council worker you would be eligible to join the pension scheme and then of course there is the insurance issues for any accidents you may have at work.

I am an ex-civil servant - I became ill and needed to take time off. I was sent to a "worker health assessment" to argue about how much work was responsible for the illness. They tried to make out they they were unaware of my existing health problems when employing me. I had of course photocopied my application form and a letter from my doctor so had evidence that they were fully aware from day 1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Peppergirl There are rules about what they can ask and advice about how to answer:

https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/interviews-questions-you-should-not-be-asked/

You should never lie, but do be aware of how much you need to volunteer. Having been the recipient of questions that aren't supposed to be asked, I'm always careful now.

I usually tick the GP records thing else they'll worry there's a reason why you haven't ticked it. They don't usually look. It's only permission in case they need to follow things up.

Good luck :)

5. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for replying

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, my company ask for permission to access records but in practice do not unless an issue arises with long term illness. For example we had a colleague with a degenerative disease, periods of sickness became more frequent and extended, eventually work performance suffered, at this point we asked for him to be assessed by a doctor of our choice. Even though we did in theory have access to his records we did not ever do so.
    So giving permission does not automatically mean they will rummage around.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook