Pre-Pregnancy

WhiteleyGirl

Hi all, currently going through prepregnancy since Jan 2016 hba1c was 84 came down to 55 in April then back to 59 in September (was expected) after getting the Mini med 640g insulin pump in August. Also did DAFNE in february

I go back to see pre pregnancy doctor on 7th January 2017.

Has anyone got any advice on getting that extra tighter control. Already on pro release metformin 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Also on folic acid.

Any advice would help want to do this so bad, need to get down to 48 to start trying. Still on the DAFNE blood targets in the pump.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Alison xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Alison,

I'm going to tag @azure as she always gives excellent advice on these matters. Best wishes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @WhiteleyGirl :)

My basic advice is to test lots and to spot where your BS is going out of range. Sounds obvious, but to do it systematically and continually is the answer.

First, check your basal rate is ok by doing a basal test as that's the foundation for good control. Then look at after meal spikes. In order to control those, advance bolusing is an excellent tool eg for me breakfast with a bolus just before eating will give me an 11 two hours after, but bolusing more in advance will give me a 6. You'll find different meals need different advance bolus times eg I need to bolus furthest in advance for breakfast.

Also, be strict about correcting. That's what you'll have to do when you're pregnant so it's good practice now.

My other two,tips are to keep active - even a bit of housework after a meal can help - and to actively try to relax eg by spending two or three minutes twice a day deep breathing. I found that very helpful as the whole trying to conceive thing can be extra- stressful with diabetes.

Good luck - you've done a great job already in reducing your HbA1C :)

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hi all, currently going through prepregnancy since Jan 2016 hba1c was 84 came down to 55 in April then back to 59 in September (was expected) after getting the Mini med 640g insulin pump in August. Also did DAFNE in february

I go back to see pre pregnancy doctor on 7th January 2017.

Has anyone got any advice on getting that extra tighter control. Already on pro release metformin 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Also on folic acid.

Any advice would help want to do this so bad, need to get down to 48 to start trying. Still on the DAFNE blood targets in the pump.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Alison xx

What was your result?