Predibetes

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello everyone,
almost four years ago I suffered a heart attack, unbeknown to me I had inherited heart disease from either parent, Familial Hypercholestaemia to be exact. So CHD and for some reason still unknown my liver makes bulk loads of triglycerides leave me with Peripheral Vascular Disease. Throughout the past few years I’m tested for diabetes, my hospital consultant was convinced I had T2 yet my GP didn’t agree, neither did he believe in borderline or prediabetes.
Now I’m all assorts of meds’ for High BP, Fenofibrates for the high triglycerides, beta blockers etc. Also recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia...

My first question is, has anyone’s diabetes been connected with high sugary fat lipids or similar? Again my GP told me they have nothing to do with diabetes ....

My second question is basically asking if anyone else has suffered with the ailments below, before diagnosis ?

For the past 6 months, I’ve been feeling so low, headaches feeling beyond tired.
Past 3 weeks the headaches are persistent, suffering with itching especially in the heel of my feet, but it’s like a deep itch that I can’t get to lol ( I’m guessing this could be FM ) seems thrush is an ongoing thing (sorry) also blurry vision as if I’m reading or watching TV and I have to keep blinking hard to refocus. My stomach has ballooned, although I’m overweight by 1 stone for my height, it wasn’t ever this huge :/... I don’t want to get too womany lol but I also have to take peri menopausal into account which may be causing some of these ??? Oh and the thirst I have is incredible, at least 3x a night I have to drink water along with potty visits.
I guess I was hoping it was lol part of getting older, when I decided to test my blood sugars on waking up and go the reading of 13.7, tested again after lunch ( ham sandwich) it was 24.0. I’m thinking maybe it was a tad high, explained to my New GP my symptoms and the readings I have. He took into account my previous diseases and was 99% sure that I have a form of diabetes, the past 3 days following, readings have been similar. I’m having my HbA1c bloods tomorrow to confirm.

I’m not surprised or shocked as I’m like a ticking time bomb, and if it’s just a matter of taking one more pill, I’m sure I can do this, obviously along side with healthy eating, which will be my biggest nightmare

Thank you for reading my book, I look forward to your replies

Michelle -x-

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We cannot diagnose you with Diabetes of any type, you're going to have to wait for the HbA1c results and your GPs diagnosis. The thirst, excessive peeing, blurry vision and higher blood glucose readings may indicate Diabetes but they can also be symptoms of other complex conditions. It would not, however, hurt to read around the forum to gain knowledge on general well being while you wait for diagnosis.
There are members who suffer with heart conditions and others with FM so it is worth having a potter around the site for more info.

Fingers crossed that your tests go well and a warm welcome to you.

SimonCrox

There is a link between high glucose levels and high cholesterol levels - they are both part of the metabolic syndrome (also includes high BP and large waist) which is all probably due to insulin resistance - the insulin does not work as well as it should. this is a well known problem.

With your symptoms and two glucose readings above 11.1 mmol/L, you almost certainly have diabetes; a proper blood glucose level from a lab or an HbA1c would be nice to dot i's and cross t's just in case the fingerprick tests were mislading, but I doubt it.

Best wishes

Reactions: Michelle_BBB

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Michelle_BBB - You've certainly been through the wars a bit in recent years.

You certainly seem to be describing lots of symptoms of diabetes, but annoyingly, many of those things are also symptoms of other things.

Your finger prick test results seem higher than ideal, for sure, but when you say you've tested after you've eaten x, or y, how long would that be after? Healthy people can see some fairly big rises in their numbers after a sugar or carb heavy meal, but their rises fall back fairly pronto too. Were your tests just after you'd eatne, an hour or several hours later?

It sounds like your new GP is looking to explore this for you, which can only be a good thing, and in your shoes, I'd be keen to see that through too.

Good luck with it all. Nobody wants a diabetes diagnosis, but if that is something that comes your way, there are plenty of things we can do to live good, healthy lives. It isn't usually quite as simple as taking another tablet, but there's lots of knowledge and experience on here, and members who would help you along the way.

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We cannot diagnose you with Diabetes of any type, you're going to have to wait for the HbA1c results and your GPs diagnosis. The thirst, excessive peeing, blurry vision and higher blood glucose readings may indicate Diabetes but they can also be symptoms of other complex conditions. It would not, however, hurt to read around the forum to gain knowledge on general well being while you wait for diagnosis.
There are members who suffer with heart conditions and others with FM so it is worth having a potter around the site for more info.

Fingers crossed that your tests go well and a warm welcome to you.

Hi Guzzler, I did mean to say I wasn’t looking for a diagnosis within the forum, apologies if it seems I came across this way...
I’ve only ever googled problems if I’ve been told there’s a chance I have it, and only use NHS website. I’m looking forward to surfing this forum, very informative

Reactions: Guzzler

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There is a link between high glucose levels and high cholesterol levels - they are both part of the metabolic syndrome (also includes high BP and large waist) which is all probably due to insulin resistance - the insulin does not work as well as it should. this is a well known problem.

With your symptoms and two glucose readings above 11.1 mmol/L, you almost certainly have diabetes; a proper blood glucose level from a lab or an HbA1c would be nice to dot i's and cross t's just in case the fingerprick tests were mislading, but I doubt it.

Best wishes

I’m just hoping with whatever medications I’m given should it be diabetes that these headaches will stop. Thank you for you reply

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Michelle_BBB - You've certainly been through the wars a bit in recent years.

You certainly seem to be describing lots of symptoms of diabetes, but annoyingly, many of those things are also symptoms of other things.

Your finger prick test results seem higher than ideal, for sure, but when you say you've tested after you've eaten x, or y, how long would that be after? Healthy people can see some fairly big rises in their numbers after a sugar or carb heavy meal, but their rises fall back fairly pronto too. Were your tests just after you'd eatne, an hour or several hours later?

It sounds like your new GP is looking to explore this for you, which can only be a good thing, and in your shoes, I'd be keen to see that through too.

Good luck with it all. Nobody wants a diabetes diagnosis, but if that is something that comes your way, there are plenty of things we can do to live good, healthy lives. It isn't usually quite as simple as taking another tablet, but there's lots of knowledge and experience on here, and members who would help you along the way.

I retested roughly 2 hours .... my new GP is wonderful. He has booked me in next Monday with the diabetic nurse, so results will be back, hoping it’s a yes or no and take this pill lol ... I know it won’t be easy nothing really is when it involves me lol but here’s hoping

Reactions: SimonCrox

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There is a link between high glucose levelsdidn't come across like that at all.high cholesterol levels - they are both part of the metabolic syndrome (also includes high BP and large waist) which is all probably due to insulin resistance - the insulin does not work as well as it should. this is a well known problem.

Best wishes

Sorry, but you are going to have to qualify you're statement that high glucose levels are linked to high cholesterol levels. Then you would have to explain exactly what is high and why you consider that a bad thing.

Best wishes

FYI In the
Hi Guzzler, I did mean to say I wasn’t looking for a diagnosis within the forum, apologies if it seems I came across this way...
I’ve only ever googled problems if I’ve been told there’s a chance I have it, and only use NHS website. I’m looking forward to surfing this forum, very informative
emoji3.png

No probs. We are not allowed to diagnose as we are not doctors. Its one of the rules. You didnt do anything untoward.

Reactions: SimonCrox

SimonCrox

Sorry, but you are going to have to qualify you're statement that high glucose levels are linked to high cholesterol levels. Then you would have to explain exactly what is high and why you consider that a bad thing.

FYI In the

No probs. We are not allowed to diagnose as we are not doctors. Its one of the rules. You didnt do anything untoward.

Thanks for comments.
Metabolic syndrome has been reviewed by the International Diabetes federation:-
https://www.idf.org/e-library/conse...worldwide-definitionof-the-metabolic-syndrome

briefly, to make the diagnosis, one requires a high waist measurement ( >94 cm males; >80 cm females) and 2 of the following 4:-

a: Raised triglycerides ≥ 150 mg/dL (1.7 mmol/L) or specifi c treatment for this lipid abnormality
b: Reduced HDL cholesterol : < 40 mg/dL (1.03 mmol/L) in males: < 50 mg/dL (1.29 mmol/L) in females
c: Raised blood pressure systolic BP ≥ 130 or diastolic BP ≥ 85 mm Hg or treatment of previously diagnosed hypertension
d: Raised fasting plasma glucose (FPG) ≥ 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L), or previously diagnosed type 2 diabetes.

The metabolic syndrome trebles the risk of heart attack or stroke, hence the drive to improve all these numbers, which improves outcomes.

I think that folk other than doctors can look at numbers and see where they fit in diagnostic criteria, particularly careful individuals

Is this OK? I know I have muddled up cholesterol with other lipids

Michelle_BBB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for comments.
https://www.idf.org/e-library/conse...worldwide-definitionof-the-metabolic-syndrome

briefly, to make the diagnosis, one requires a high waist measurement ( >94 cm males; >80 cm females) and 2 of the following 4:-

a: Raised triglycerides ≥ 150 mg/dL (1.7 mmol/L) or specifi c treatment for this lipid abnormality
b: Reduced HDL cholesterol : < 40 mg/dL (1.03 mmol/L) in males: < 50 mg/dL (1.29 mmol/L) in females
c: Raised blood pressure systolic BP ≥ 130 or diastolic BP ≥ 85 mm Hg or treatment of previously diagnosed hypertension
d: Raised fasting plasma glucose (FPG) ≥ 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L), or previously diagnosed type 2 diabetes.

The metabolic syndrome trebles the risk of heart attack or stroke, hence the drive to improve all these numbers, which improves outcomes.

I think that folk other than doctors can look at numbers and see where they fit in diagnostic criteria, particularly careful individuals

..... I’m unsure of my Cholesterol readings, I was put on statins to lower them and they are now in normal range... I also saw and endocrinologist who realised my Triglycerides were way above normal, 24.4 (from memory) and Feno fribrates have been brilliant with lowering them to a 7.2 although I was told this was still a high reading but for me it’s been a life saver... I just though one day, it’s all in my body and although separate issues, maybe it is connected with diabetes... I forgot to mention my Dad’s side of the family several of his siblings had diabetes ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for comments.

If all that is true, I have never had metabolic syndrome, but I am a Type 2 diabetic.

On my diagnosis my waist was larger than 80cm. and my fasting plasma BG was 7mmol/l. However, I did not have raised triglycerides, raised BP or reduced HDL.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced my intake of carbohydrates to deal with the diabetes symptoms - and all the clothes which used to fit around my waist - or more like equator, all fell off. My waist is 6 to 8 inches smaller now, and I can bend over without going dizzy or my ribs getting pushed out.
I have lost about 40 lb too, from my heaviest in the last few years - but the Metformin and statins I took have been very bad for my memory.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for comments.

Ok, firstly, cholesterol is a misnomer. The correct name is Lipoprotein. Secondly, yes, anyone can look up the numbers but thirdly, even the boffins know that the whole story is unknown. More people die of a heart attack having had low cholesterol numbers than high. The recommended number of <5 means that the average Ch level of adults in the UK of more than 6.0 and that level having been lowered three times in the last twenty years, suggests we all are burdoned with this substance that is essential for human life.
But my original question of your supposed link with diabetes was, I think, unanswered. As I do not wish to derail this thread perhaps we should delay this conversation until a more appropriate post comes up.