Pregnancy and HBA1C advise please!

katiesay

Hi everybody :)
I've just signed up to this and want to quickly introduce myself and ask for some opinions/advice please.
My name is Katie i'm 30 and was diagnosed when I was 10 with Type 1. I have been on the pump for approx 18months and think it's great. During my teens I didn't really take much care of myself and ended up a couple of years ago having major surgery on both eyes due to the high bloods I had been running for quite some time - hence now i'm on the pump!!!!
I've worked really hard to bring my HBA1C down from 14.9 to 8.3 and am happy with that and now considering having my first baby with my husband. Here's my question - the consultants at the hospital are putting the fear of god in me saying that they would not be happy with me getting pregnant until my HBA1C is at least 5!!! - Is this true? Is this possible?!?!?! I feel so under pressure now and in an effort to keep my bloods low i'm having hypo's all the time ... putting on weight ... feeling rubbish etc etc etc - I'm sure you all understand! :shock:
Sorry to witter on, on my first time here but need some advice deperately. :?
Many many thanks, Katie

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
katiesay said:
Hi everybody :)
I've just signed up to this and want to quickly introduce myself and ask for some opinions/advice please.
My name is Katie i'm 30 and was diagnosed when I was 10 with Type 1. I have been on the pump for approx 18months and think it's great. During my teens I didn't really take much care of myself and ended up a couple of years ago having major surgery on both eyes due to the high bloods I had been running for quite some time - hence now i'm on the pump!!!!
I've worked really hard to bring my HBA1C down from 14.9 to 8.3 and am happy with that and now considering having my first baby with my husband. Here's my question - the consultants at the hospital are putting the fear of god in me saying that they would not be happy with me getting pregnant until my HBA1C is at least 5!!! - Is this true? Is this possible?!?!?! I feel so under pressure now and in an effort to keep my bloods low i'm having hypo's all the time ... putting on weight ... feeling rubbish etc etc etc - I'm sure you all understand! :shock:
Sorry to witter on, on my first time here but need some advice deperately. :?
Many many thanks, Katie

Hi,

I've never been pregnant so i can be of little help but hoping my reply may prompt others into some sound advice for you.

Seems horrible the consultants are scaring you but to be honest they should be. Having a baby with a high hba1c can cause complications, for mother and baby. (i've had the speech many a time even though i've never had or planned to have a baby!)

I can understand the stress you are under, it must be very hard.

I've read what guidelines they recommend you to be when conceiving and pregnant so i know how tight they expect you to be.

You have already made great progress to come down to 8.3 though so well done.

Are you tweaking your basal rates alot? have you done fasting tests to check it's right? and made sure your ratio's are good? Stress definately won't help with controlling your BG's.

Just remember good control doesn't happen overnight, keep trying and you'll get there.

The most important thing is that when you do get pregnant that you are as healthy as you can be for your baby :)

good luck!

Pepsi Max

Hi, I am the same, T1 since 2005 & on a pump under a year. Recently considering having a baby with my husband, my hba1c is at 7.7 & I've to get it down. I'm hoping somebody can give me tips etc I jog 3-4 times a week, eat well but chocolate is my Achilles! TBH I'm terrified about having a baby especially after reading some other posts about diabetes & baby problem!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
You have not given the value of HBA1C -is it below 7 ,if it is slightly above this figure doctor will ask you to take these medicines .For other problems you can take doctor's advice and change or reduce the dosage.