Pregnancy and ketones

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I am 20 weeks today. I am new to animas vibe pump. I done set change yesterday tea time all ok. As night was going on my sugar was going steadily going up. I did another set change at midnight waited and it did come down a little so I assumed it was ok and went to bed. I woke at 3 to check it was 15 done correction and now I have just woke and it's still 15. I just checked for ketones it's 1.9 I'm sure I was advised if it's over a certain amount in pregnancy I need to attend a&e. I can't remember what the amount is does anyone know what's an acceptable level during pregnancy please?
I'm assuming that the second cannula can't be working but I can see insulin going through the tube. Very confused and stressed this morning.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Scarlet10 Change your set, correct with a pen (being careful if you already have insulin on board) and give triage a call for advice.

I don't remember what the ketone amount is but its best to check and get reassurance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be clear, you have to assume the old set is working if you corrected through it even if it probably isn't. But if you have no insulin on board from that or any other source, then even when you put your new set in, I'd still correct with a pen.

When I had highs in pregnancy, I always corrected with my pen even if I thought the site was fine because at least that way I didn't have any doubt the insulin would be there.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a good leaflet for sick day rules for pregnant type 1. It's saying moderate ketones (1.5+) should get an assessment. It's got some good guidence on correction doses too.

http://www.perinatal.nhs.uk/diabetes/projects/leaflets/Sick_Days_Type1.pdf

Do call your midwife or 111 for some advice. Or if corrections aren't working pop to a walk in centre / A&E , dka can come on quick in pregnancy.

It seems worth considering correcting from a pen while you get new cannula, reservoir, tubing set up, maybe with insulin from a fresh vial so you can be sure that's isn't the problem.

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will definitely use the pen in future to correct high especially while pregnant.

Reactions: azure

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
How are you this morning @Scarlet10 ? I hope you got sorted. I got admitted with DKA last May when I was about 27 weeks pregnant and it happened all very quickly. My pump wasn't working but it hadn't given me any error message so I only noticed that sugars were rising steadily and I couldn't get them down and when I changed the pump it was too late already. Hope you're okay xx

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw I am ok now thank you. It took three set changes before it worked. I didn't go to a&e but dsn told me if it happens again I must attend. I did manage to get ketones down by drinking lots within a few hours. I am just really worried now that something has happened to baby. How was you after your dka? Same thing happened with me and the pump.
X