Pregnant: Cow's Milk can trigger diabetes in babies, is this true?

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have been for a growth scan today at 28 weeks and seen the diabetes team. I was given a leaflet on induction which also had some information on the importance of breastfeeding. The leaflet went onto say that formula milk containing cow's milk should be avoided for the baby before 6 months as it can trigger diabetes in babies and if the mother or father of the baby has diabetes their babies are more at risk. Does anyone have anymore information on this or the studies that have been done? I am intending on breastfeeding but know how difficult I found it with my daughter and am now panicking abou this advice in case for any reason I struggle again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don´t know but babies can not process cows milk... and usually only get cow-milk in a very processed form where it is changed into a mother milk like way... like trying to copy human milk which is much different from cows milk, human milk is said to be much sweeter ..

and I would guess that cow milk has another kind of hormonal mix... maybe the calf need much more growth hormon than a baby and other kinds..
maybe non processed cows milk will create a metabolic problems in babies if they get it too early in life

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/bmilk-composition/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements/

http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/resources/mysteries.shtml

Last edited:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the leaflet come from a reputable source, I haven't heard of this one before, though my own babies were breastfed one of my grandsons and a granddaughter were given goats milk as they were cows milk intolerant

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh how I hate leaflets like this! Just putting unnecessary guilt onto new mums! I wouldn't worry too much right now. No two babes are the same and the fact that you struggled first time doesn't mean it will be the same for the next babe. Breastfeeding isn't just about you being able to do it, it's about the babe too. The next babe might be a natural at it (like my own 2nd). Relax, breastfeed for as long as you (reasonably) can and take it from there. If you need to use formula before 6 months then don't feel bad about it. Very many babes have had formula and not become diabetic.

Reactions: Freema

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @zand........don't let the scaremongers get to you.......if you and babe can connect to breastfeeding wonderful, if not then cross that bridge when you come to it, your not a failure if you have to bottle feed its just the way it is......relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy .......

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have been for a growth scan today at 28 weeks and seen the diabetes team. I was given a leaflet on induction which also had some information on the importance of breastfeeding. The leaflet went onto say that formula milk containing cow's milk should be avoided for the baby before 6 months as it can trigger diabetes in babies and if the mother or father of the baby has diabetes their babies are more at risk. Does anyone have anymore information on this or the studies that have been done? I am intending on breastfeeding but know how difficult I found it with my daughter and am now panicking abou this advice in case for any reason I struggle again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some of the above replies are not correct @Serenede

Yes, it is true that breastfeeding reduces the risk of both Type 1 and Type 2 (in different ways).

For Type 1, it's believed that it's the introduction of cow's milk that can potentially affect the immune system and/or gut.

Yes, it's also correct that if a parent has Type 1 any child will have an increased risk of developing it BUT that risk is still small - so an increase on a tiny risk.

If you had particular issues breastfeeding before, do speak to a midwife or breastfeeding helper or group before you give birth. I found the midwives fabulous and very helpful indeed, especially after the induction when you're a bit overwhelmed by it all. They helped get my milk in and my supply up and running : )

Don't worry about it. You're already planning to breastfeed :) It's natural to worry in pregnancy - about everything! It's called Being A Good Mum :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is we all know breastfeeding is best, for lots of reasons, but not everyone can. The most important thing is that the babe doesn't get dehydrated through not getting enough liquid. My first was born 10 weeks early and although I tried to wholly feed him myself I just couldn't. He did get some of my milk at every feed for 4 months but I had to top up with bottle. He developed asthma and ear infections. Was this because of using formula? Maybe, but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...e/news-story/ba33da2da3ca17ae1ee5d5754bf568b1

Yes breast is best, but bottle is OK too. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I breast fed my now teen, not as first ( she had to delivered 7 weeks early) but then only for a short time after, when we got home, she kept falling asleep as soon as she latched on and it took hours, so, hypo's for me, extreme tiredness and not feeling too good at times. She was topped up on a bottle, then it was all bottle, she is 16 now and hopefully she will not be affected by diabetes.

Reactions: Freema and zand

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this is relevant and allowed, if not please delete.

If you can, see if there is a branch of NCT near to you. Their breast feeding counsellors will be people who have experienced successful breast feeding themselves and know the tricks. For virtually every mother, the first few weeks of breast feeding are very difficult, baby not knowing how to latch on, mother getting stressed / distressed. Breast milk production works on a feedback mechanism of supply and demand. If you add supplementary feeds the demand goes down and so does production. The trick to successful breastfeeding is 'any time, any place' - breastfed babies do not tend to have routines, you cannot rely on a 4 hour gap, or a 3 hour gap, any gap at all. During periods of growth spurts etc, demand goes up, the key to managing this is to feed on demand, make sure you get plenty of fluids and sufficient rest.

If you are feeding very frequently, which is the norm in the early days, you will be told by inexperienced people that 'you do not have enough milk'. I was told by an ill-informed midwife that my first baby, 9lb 2ozs at birth, was 'starving to death'. If she hadn't been followed on the next shift by a lovely old Irish sister, who never left my side all night after I'd tearfully asked for a bottle of formula, I would not have succeeded in feeding that baby or his siblings.

My best advice, once breast feeding is established, is discover when you have plenty of milk (for me it was first thing in a morning) and fill a bottle of milk by breast pump for when you have little (for me that was early evening) to supplement with. But in the early days and weeks try to solely breast feed as the required action for a baby to successfully breast feed (with the whole of the nipple in the mouth and a chewing action) is entirely different to bottle feeding, just achieved by squeezing the teat between the tongue and roof of the mouth.

37 years ago I was determined to fully breast feed but got such hopeless advice from midwives I almost failed. My eldest son had a few supplementary feeds whilst still in hospital and he went on to develop eczema then asthma. I was determined to fully breast feed the next two, and they had no cows milk till after 12 months old and they also developed eczema and asthma. So whatever happens, don't blame yourself for the outcome, you can only do your best.

The best resource, all those years ago, was a book by Drs Andrew and Penny Stanway, called Breast is Best. It's advice is top notch. I managed to buy a second hand copy on Amazon for my daughter in law.

If she has finished with it (she is currently expecting her third baby and having fully breast fed the other two, I think it may be sitting on a bookshelf somewhere) I will pm you and if you like, I will post it to you. We won't see her till late April.

Good luck with everything and most importantly, don't beat yourself up.

Reactions: Freema and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I breast fed my now teen, not as first ( she had to delivered 7 weeks early) but then only for a short time after, when we got home, she kept falling asleep as soon as she latched on and it took hours, so, hypo's for me, extreme tiredness and not feeling too good at times. She was topped up on a bottle, then it was all bottle, she is 16 now and hopefully she will not be affected by diabetes.
Yes that's very similar to my experience. I also felt slightly hypo/faint from the tiredness even though I wasn't diabetic then.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breast milk production works on a feedback mechanism of supply and demand. If you add supplementary feeds the demand goes down and so does production. The trick to successful breastfeeding is 'any time, any place' - breastfed babies do not tend to have routines, you cannot rely on a 4 hour gap, or a 3 hour gap, any gap at all.
yes that's true, but some babies simply aren't strong enough to suck for long enough to increase the milk supply. My son started to give up as soon as he latched on because it was just too difficult for him. I settled with letting him have what milk I had (probably about an ounce per feed) and then topping up with bottle figuring that whatever I could give him myself was better than nothing.

The anytime any place thing worked well with my 2nd son who went on to refuse pureed food altogether and was fully breastfed for 6 months. Then he was ready for mashed food rather than puree which he loved. He would never take a bottle either, going straight onto a beaker :rolleyes:

I think you just have to work with what you have and do the best you can without beating yourself up.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this is relevant and allowed, if not please delete.

If you can, see if there is a branch of NCT near to you. Their breast feeding counsellors will be people who have experienced successful breast feeding themselves and know the tricks. For virtually every mother, the first few weeks of breast feeding are very difficult, baby not knowing how to latch on, mother getting stressed / distressed. Breast milk production works on a feedback mechanism of supply and demand. If you add supplementary feeds the demand goes down and so does production. The trick to successful breastfeeding is 'any time, any place' - breastfed babies do not tend to have routines, you cannot rely on a 4 hour gap, or a 3 hour gap, any gap at all. During periods of growth spurts etc, demand goes up, the key to managing this is to feed on demand, make sure you get plenty of fluids and sufficient rest.

If you are feeding very frequently, which is the norm in the early days, you will be told by inexperienced people that 'you do not have enough milk'. I was told by an ill-informed midwife that my first baby, 9lb 2ozs at birth, was 'starving to death'. If she hadn't been followed on the next shift by a lovely old Irish sister, who never left my side all night after I'd tearfully asked for a bottle of formula, I would not have succeeded in feeding that baby or his siblings.

My best advice, once breast feeding is established, is discover when you have plenty of milk (for me it was first thing in a morning) and fill a bottle of milk by breast pump for when you have little (for me that was early evening) to supplement with. But in the early days and weeks try to solely breast feed as the required action for a baby to successfully breast feed (with the whole of the nipple in the mouth and a chewing action) is entirely different to bottle feeding, just achieved by squeezing the teat between the tongue and roof of the mouth.

37 years ago I was determined to fully breast feed but got such hopeless advice from midwives I almost failed. My eldest son had a few supplementary feeds whilst still in hospital and he went on to develop eczema then asthma. I was determined to fully breast feed the next two, and they had no cows milk till after 12 months old and they also developed eczema and asthma. So whatever happens, don't blame yourself for the outcome, you can only do your best.

The best resource, all those years ago, was a book by Drs Andrew and Penny Stanway, called Breast is Best. It's advice is top notch. I managed to buy a second hand copy on Amazon for my daughter in law.

If she has finished with it (she is currently expecting her third baby and having fully breast fed the other two, I think it may be sitting on a bookshelf somewhere) I will pm you and if you like, I will post it to you. We won't see her till late April.

Good luck with everything and most importantly, don't beat yourself up.

AtkinsMo, I'm not a Mum, so have nothing meaningful to add to the discussion, but I thought yours was a particularly helpful post with some options to try to optimise chances of successful breastfeeding, and also demonstrate, I think, that doing x doesn't necessarily lead to a result of y for all people.

@Serenede - Good luck with your remaining pregnancy term and I hope your newborn brings you great joy. In the words of somebody, somewhere,.............. "Not long now!"

Reactions: Struma and Freema

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law lives in France and there she was loaned an electric breast pump to to build up her milk supply with a prem baby, so he was entirely breast fed with her own milk until he was strong enough to suckle. It takes a lot of commitment, but can be done.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:):)
The thing is we all know breastfeeding is best, for lots of reasons, but not everyone can. The most important thing is that the babe doesn't get dehydrated through not getting enough liquid. My first was born 10 weeks early and although I tried to wholly feed him myself I just couldn't. He did get some of my milk at every feed for 4 months but I had to top up with bottle. He developed asthma and ear infections. Was this because of using formula? Maybe, but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...e/news-story/ba33da2da3ca17ae1ee5d5754bf568b1

Yes breast is best, but bottle is OK too. :)

@zand I fully appreciate that some mums can't breastfeed. My comment above was purely stating the facts and answering the OP's question. I have no doubt at all that you did the absolute best for your son, especially as you had to cope with him being premature. Not easy at all :)

This is not the place for discussions about breastfeeding and formula feeding. Comments about the benefit of breastmilk are not criticising mothers who couldn't breastfeed (or chose not to) :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do they think that anyone would be daft enough to put cows milk in a baby's bottle?
I know back in the days when I was looking after my children we were spoken to like idiots, but with all the advice and assistance available even back in the 1980s we did get the message that babies should not be given cows milk until they were old enough.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They mean formula milk, Resurgam (which is made from cow's milk).

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I have caused offence, as all I was trying to do was be helpful and supportive and give realistic advice based on experience. I believe that it is still an issue that mothers are given inadequate and incorrect advice. Of course, every mother knows that not everybody can breastfeed and when you can't then an alternative has to be found. But, as in many areas of medicine, sometimes the advice given is not the best advice. I was giving the example of my daughter in law to demonstrate that other countries do provide more practical and realistic advice and support than does the UK. A friend's daughter, who loves in Holland, had superb post natal support, including regarding breast feeding, when her first baby was born (at home, which is very much the norm) there.

Reactions: azure

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If the original leaflet meant baby milk formula then there can be no truth in it - as there could have been very few babies in my own and the following generations who were not given it at some time. There should be an epidemic of diabetes in the entire population over 40 - but even though there was a lot of blame-gaming by the midwives and other advisers they hadn't thought of 'not breastfeeding will cause diabetes' back then.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the original leaflet meant baby milk formula then there can be no truth in it - as there could have been very few babies in my own and the following generations who were not given it at some time. There should be an epidemic of diabetes in the entire population over 40 - but even though there was a lot of blame-gaming by the midwives and other advisers they hadn't thought of 'not breastfeeding will cause diabetes' back then.

The rate of Type 1 has been increasing over the decades.

Studies have found that babies who have been introduced to cows' milk (ie formula) before the age of 6 months have an increased risk of developing Type 1 diabetes. Obviously that doesn't mean that every bottle-fed baby will get Type 1, but it does mean that breastfeeding can reduce the chances, as my consultant emphasised when my children were born.

So yes, there is truth in the leaflet - it's stating a fact: that breastfeeding can reduce the risk of developing Type 1, quite apart from the other health benefits, of course.

The leaflet is also correct in stating that children of parents with Type 1 have a slightly increased risk,of developing Type 1 themselves. But the risk is still small. There are threads about this in the Type 1 section for those who,are interested.