Pregnant: GD - Advise on improving fasting BG

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I have benefited lot via this forum and I know this forum is so helpful and feels like surrounded by loved ones when you need the most. I had GD during my first pregnancy but then maintaining after that and was categorised non diabetic as I was going through GTT every year and now as I am expecting my second baby; I have been diagnosed on my early pregnancy at 8 weeks which was very big surprise to me. I have been referred to hospital but yet paper work going on and I have not been called yet by hospital. But with my experience; I have bought Lancet BG testing meter and doing test since being diagnosed. My post dinner reading and sometime fasting goes high. As per my knowledge; the fasting for GD is should be equal and less than 5. I have always 5.3 and 5.4. But today I had 7.3 which shocked me.

As I am still waiting for hospital call and appointment with diabetes educator; this forum will be my first help. I am seeking advise from experienced people like you on
-what can I do on improve my BG fasting? and how high is it?
-can I do BG fasting test after morning walk?
-what can I eat on dinner to improve my fasting and post dinner reading?

I appreciate all of your suggestion!!!

Thanking you all!!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi everyone,

I have benefited lot via this forum and I know this forum is so helpful and feels like surrounded by loved ones when you need the most. I had GD during my first pregnancy but then maintaining after that and was categorised non diabetic as I was going through GTT every year and now as I am expecting my second baby; I have been diagnosed on my early pregnancy at 8 weeks which was very big surprise to me. I have been referred to hospital but yet paper work going on and I have not been called yet by hospital. But with my experience; I have bought Lancet BG testing meter and doing test since being diagnosed. My post dinner reading and sometime fasting goes high. As per my knowledge; the fasting for GD is should be equal and less than 5. I have always 5.3 and 5.4. But today I had 7.3 which shocked me.

As I am still waiting for hospital call and appointment with diabetes educator; this forum will be my first help. I am seeking advise from experienced people like you on
-what can I do on improve my BG fasting? and how high is it?
-can I do BG fasting test after morning walk?
-what can I eat on dinner to improve my fasting and post dinner reading?

I appreciate all of your suggestion!!!

Thanking you all!!!
Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

It may be that 7.3 was a one-off rogue reading and you will go back to the 5s - it's better to focus on trends rather than single results, but I understand with GD you have to be more careful than I have to be. Re the 5.3 and 5.4 - meters can be up to 15% inaccurate -/+ so your actual BG might be a bit lower. Is the fasting GD target equal or less than 5.0 or 5.9?

The only things I know of to reduce fasting BG are: eating less carbs in general, having a snack before bed, medication (but I am not "suggesting" that because it's a tricky one in pregnancy and is up to you and your HCPs), and waiting for the effects of a few weeks of low carbing.

I don't think a fasting test after a morning walk would be as accurate but I don't know anything about it really.

For dinner I would suggest low carbs like every meal.

Hope that helps and that I haven't put you wrong, as pregnancy is outside my experience.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much! Journey is going to be difficult... But I will try my best to keep in control...I will try low card dinner today and go for glass of milk as super and will see result tomorrow and post it...thanks heaps..appreciated your response...:) your story is really impressive and inspiring...

Reactions: 3 people

Pinkyn

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Fasting I found most difficult to control,
Mine held out by having a healthy high protein low/zero carb snack before bed!
Hope that helps!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I'd agree with the above - my BS is always up when I have had carbs late on. I tend to stick to high protein for my evening meal and keep the carbs I have in the day for breakfast and lunch.