Prison Service & Carrying Insulin Pen etc

Chris H1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi does anyone on here work for the Prison Service & if so what do you do with your insulin pen/blood test equipment at work? Just applied for a job with Prison Service & it wasnt something I had thought of until yesterday when I entered the prison where I was asked if carrying anything sharp (I hadnt got my insulin pen with me as was only going to be there 30 mins or so).

Any advice apprieciated

Chris H

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are duty bound to disclose any pre-existing medical condition and failure to do so would mean that you could lose your job at a later date sorry if this is not what you want to hear but good luck with the job and in the future.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know of a guy that has worked in prisons with injections and now a pump... It is possible but must be declared.

Chris H1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic I will be declaring my diabetes at the appropriate time just trying to organise myself for however the Prison Service deal with it. I did think about looking at the Libre Freestyle meter which would mean no need to carry sharps in test equipment till I saw the monthly cost which would take some convincing for my GP practice to provide.

Still hoping someone with type 1 who uses insulin pens & works for Prison Service pops up. If not when I find out the relevant info I will post it here.

Thanks for advice so far :)

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Any form of sharps or inhalers probably must be declared .
Anything that prisoners can use for self harm or as a weapon
basically .

Unsure of their protocol regards this with employing persons
with diabetes or asthma .
This would be a good question to ask though at interview .

Good luck with it all - don't ever give up with your dreams
or hopes .

Let us know how things go too .
As such feedback can help so many others here .

Chris H1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick update I didn't get the post I wanted but was offered another post & have taken that. I told them I was Type 1 Diabetic on 1st day (I didn't take anything in with me & I don't mention my Diabetes at interviews unless asked directly) & seems they haven't had situation before so first response was can you keep stuff in car to which I said yes but pointed out it wasn't ideal so current situation is health & safety + security will be speaking to the Prison Govener who can give permission for me to carry prohibited goods or I will be given a locker in the prisons sterile area (no prisoners) which I said would be the best option as I wasn't comfortable carrying my pen etc with in prison grounds. No decision yet so will update as soon as I have more info.