Problems at work!

mattyoasis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, im looking to get others thoughts on my current situation! I currently work as a team leader at well known supermarket, ive worked there over 5 years and never had a problem with my diabetes. Six months ago i was moved departements and had to start work at 530am. As you can imagine this caused havoc with my blood sugars.

After 3 months my doctor provided with me a letter advising my hours to be moved to more suitable time of the day. As a result my hours were changed to 2pm-11pm. Much better, but the aspect of the job has changed and i was required to get trained on a 3.5 tonne van to just in case one of our drivers broke down and needed to be rescued. Me taking the test was on condition that i would not be used as a delivery driver. Recently i have been forced to make deliveries resulting in my stress levels rising and blood sugars becoming unstable. ?Suffered 5 hypos in 48hours due to this. Been signed off work for two weeks for poor control but this appears to be due to stress of having to do something im clearly not comfortable doing. I am also in contact with the usdaw reps in store and strongly thinking about putting a grievance to my personell manager and section manager.

Any thoughts or advice? :cry: :cry:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Not wishing to sound harsh but if you have suffered 5 hypos in 48 hours I am surprised that a "well known supermarket" is allowing you behind the wheel of a 3.5 ton truck, do you not need a B licence to drive such a vehicle?

I'm pretty sure the DLVA would not allow me to be aiming a 3.5 ton truck down the road and I've not had a hypo for about 6 months (touch wood)

I would insist that the "well known supermarket" stop using me as a driver of such vehicles and if they dont like it tell them to speak to the DVLA, and if they try to dispense with your services it would be construed as constructive dismissal and any enquiry would find in your favour I'm fairly sure.

Is there a union rep you can talk to?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear you're talking with your USDAW rep (Sid Bonkers - that's the shop workers' union). Hope you get things sorted. When you say "suffered 5 hypos in 48 hours" what exactly do you mean? Hope you always test blood glucose levels before driving.

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
if you are not happy with driving and you are getting stressed ot resulting in hypos,you need to refer your mangement to the company 'Stress Management policy,which they should have in place , by law, HASAWA, 1974.and its relevant regulations combined with DDA ant the Equal Opps Act by which you have a right to be treated fairly and your job role should reflect the effects that may arise from your disability and your management should take that into account. what about your company's grievance procedure aswell which should at least record the issues you have in case you need to go to a tribunal. first law of labour relations - write it down and keep a record !! best of luck,manogwent :) :)