Problems experienced with Insulin Pump Therapy

sam.simmonds

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I am Sam Simmonds and I am a first year Furniture and Product Design student at Nottingham Trent University, and I currently have a research project, for which I am looking into Insulin pump therapy for type 1 diabetes. if you use insulin pump therapy and have type 1 diabetes, I would appreciate it if you could let me know what problems you have experienced with this, if any, including about the device you use or procedures you undertake, or about the therapy method as a whole.

Thankyou very much for your time,

Sam S

Last edited:
Reactions: RobyJaxx
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Tina
I've been diabetic 31 years and started using a pump 3 years ago.
The problems are if your cannula is pulled out by accident, while sleeping, getting dressed etc. At night if you don't notice, this causes high bloods and as you probably already know ketosis. BG goes up quick as only one insulin is used. Fast acting. You have to change the cannula every 2-3 days which is wonderful compared to injections all the time. The amount of insulin is tailored to you. That's all I really know. I would say give it a try and see if it suits you as that's the only way really.
Kind regards

Reactions: RobyJaxx

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sam. I have had a pump abd run a marathon with it so most things are possible. My canula is secure though this may not be the case for everyone. The main issue for me other than it is a great tool but no replacement for a working set of beta cells, is that I have to find sohewgere to put it. Its inly the size of a mobile but needs to be tucked into underwear or a pocket or a bulky pouch. It can be hard to secure doing high impact exercise . But overall my Roche pump is well designed and very robust which at £3k it shoukd be.