problems with metformin!!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed four days ago, started metformin 500mg Thursday afternoon, since then each evening I am suffering with bad diarrhea and stomach pains- last night was the worst and this morning I feel like a bus has hit me!! Considering not taking any today?? I am worried about this happening while I am at work too! I know General advice is to perciver for a couple of weeks but I feel shocking, far worse than before I was even diagnosed!!! Can this be right??!!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Don't stop, try and take the Metformin with your meal, and give it a week or so.
If you still having problems, you can possibly change to a Slow Release Metformin SR that may be better, or an alternative.
I had similar problems but they disappeared in under a week
Good luck

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hello, I do agree with the advice of randburg , give it a go with the metformin , make sure to take them with meals , which I am sure you are, may take a few weeks for your body to get used to them , if not ask for the SR ones....

I often get stomach problems so I may consider asking for the slow release one , I keep Imodium with me ....

Best wishes ....Kat

Don't leave the problem to long though, because you should not have to suffer with your health...

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Kat - I didn't know if Imodium etc was ok to take? Guess I need to stock up then!! x x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, I remember it well, as kat said, swap to SR, Even that will have side effects for a couple of weeks

Reactions: 4 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Immodium (Loperamide) should be absolutely fine.... I asked about this specifically. Obviously you should just check that it won't be contraindicated for any other medications you may be taking, but afaik its fine with Metformin. Incidentally, Sainsburys and Tescos both do their own generic version (Loperamide Hydrochloride) that is just as good and a fraction of the price of the branded version!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Immodium (Loperamide) should be absolutely fine.... I asked about this specifically. Obviously you should just check that it won't be contraindicated for any other medications you may be taking, but afaik its fine with Metformin. Incidentally, Sainsburys and Tescos both do their own generic version (Loperamide Hydrochloride) that is just as good and a fraction of the price of the branded version!
Thank you Marvin- I have in the past used generic versions from supermarkets for upset Tummy but obviously metformin wasn't in the picture then !!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I hope you are building up slowly, but this will be the problem on this pill. I have leaned to live with it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thursday, day of the shock diagnosis I took one, then two Friday and Saturday and that led to last night being awful and feeling shocking today!! Just haven't dared take one today - worried as in two weeks I'm supposed to go to two twice a day !!

Mushroom

Diagnosis was a shock for me so went on a diet. Was going to Germany that weekend so didn't need any side effects when would be spending hours in a car then at an exhibition. Lost weight - so wouldn't be prescribed it now anyway.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, some inspiration for me there - I intend to start LCHF this week, seems to be the way to go with most here!

Mushroom

Thank you for the 'like', Kimbo. For some people there are other ways of dealing with diabetes at an early stage than taking the drugs. Love LCHF. I believe it was the treatment for diabetes pre-drug era. It's the way to go. Take control. All the best. x

Reactions: 3 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo, welcome to the Forum. I also had problems with Metformin, it does take time to for your system to get used to it. Do ask for the SR if it doesn't get any better. LC/HF is great I have lost weight and had my Metform reduced by half and hopefully come off it altogether if my next HbA1c test is ok in August, which would be really good.

The advice on here is great, glad you found us and hope you feel better soon.

Take care and let us know how you are getting on.

Marilyn x

Mushroom

I told my DSN that I would not be taking the Met. I had to make changes. Weight loss and exercise has proved the point in my case, may not work for others but if you read enough posts about problems with control there is often a common theme. Seek advice (especially on this on this forum) but for me ultimately it was my own decision and up to me to make a change to diet and lifestyle. Got to do it yourself - don't expect the DSN to solve all problems.
If weight is a problem, start with reducing it. If the underlying cause is not addressed the medical profession's only answer is to increase or change medicine. That's all they can do. My nurse said that if she pushes the patient too hard to manage the diabetes themselves, they stop listening and then things just get worse. Felt quite sorry for her!

Last edited by a moderator:

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo, welcome to the Forum. I also had problems with Metformin, it does take time to for your system to get used to it. Do ask for the SR if it doesn't get any better. LC/HF is great I have lost weight and had my Metform reduced by half and hopefully come off it altogether if my next HbA1c test is ok in August, which would be really good.

The advice on here is great, glad you found us and hope you feel better soon.

Take care and let us know how you are getting on.

Marilyn x
Morning Mazda- and thank you for the welcome! I'm at work until 2pm today so won't be taking any metformin till I'm home, stocking up on Imodium on the way home too!! First day claiming for LCHF, Has weetabix for breakfast though till I can stock up on Greek yoghurt on wednesday's shopping trip, I'm guessing a small intake of carb is ok? I is it possible to go totally carb free-kick or is that too severe?!! Will be ringing go later for advice on the metformin but expect to be told to perciver for a couple weeks !

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I told my DSN that I would not be taking the Met. I had to make changes. Weight loss and exercise has proved the point in my case, may not work for others but if you read enough posts about problems with control there is often a common theme. Seek advice (especially on this on this forum) but for me ultimately it was my own decision and up to me to make a change to diet and lifestyle. Got to do it yourself - don't expect the DSN to solve all problems.
If weight is a problem, start with reducing it. If the underlying cause is not addressed the medical profession's only answer is to increase or change medicine. That's all they can do. My nurse said that if she pushes the patient too hard to manage the diabetes themselves, they stop listening and then things just get worse. Felt quite sorry for her!
Thank you mushroom, yes, intend reducing weight, aiming for LCHF as from today and keeping a food diary too, taking almonds and Brazil's in my bag to snack , if needed at work - maybe some cheese for "lunch" as I work through lunch till 2pm. Dare not take metformin till I'm home, picking up Imodium / generic version on way home too !

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo, I cut my carbs quite drastically, you can suffer with withdrawal symptoms, but it soon passes. Have a look at the attached link it explains all about LC/HF http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf I found this site very useful.

Weetabix does spike my bg, test and see how they affect you. If you are in a hurry in the morning boil a couple of eggs the night before and have them for breakfast until you can stock up. I find the best yoghurts are the Fage Total full fat ones which are only 3.8g carbs per 100g.

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Mushroom

Read my last post and seems a bit nutty/obsessed but LCHF has really worked for me. No withdrawals as I started radually and then went with low GI and then went onto no foods that are overtly carby - no pasta, potatoes etc. I wouldn't eat Weetabix at all now. Used to love toast and breab etc but don't even crave it now. I was addicted to starchy carbs and for me just a little was too much to keep to so near zero now.
Cheese for lunch is good. Very portable if you don't mind it warm. Have handful of almonds and apple with mine. I used the fitnesspal app and found I was only eating around 700 calories a day but it meant a 2 - 3lb weight loss every week so it was rapid sugar control and weight loss.
There is a lot of advice about taking Metformin with or after food and that seems to help. Good luck.