probs with metformin?

chrissieworne

Hi all.

I started Metformin 10 days ago, one in the mornings and I was fine, however 2 nights ago I also started an evening tablet and within a few hrs I got the worst bloating, wind and cramps in lower belly. No diarreahoa (sure i misspelt that one!) :oops: would the additional dose of met do that so fast? perhaps I should ask for the slow release? or should I give it a few more days do you think?

Thanks
Chrissie

FordPrefect

What you are describing is classic stomach problems associated with metformin. With most people it does get better with time failing that the doctor can maybe try you with m/r or s/r versions these release the metformin more slowly and thus you dont get the same same amount of problems with your stomach. As an added bonus you only have to take tablets once a day!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Chrissie,

I had exact same problems on start up. After a month I wandered how on earth anyone is expected to put up with the side effects and was on the verge of going to see my GP to ask for an alternative. After 2 months I had no side effects at all and been OK ever since. I dont understand the mechanics, but I do know that your body learns to cope in time.

Regards Steve.