Prof Roy Taylor of Newcastle University

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi @douglas99, I am comfortable with using "reversed" as my regime has not seen diabetic A1c's for 2 years. I know I could eat less and exercise more if needed, and would have done anything to obtain normal numbers.

I could not face a carb heavy meal, due to previously eating what I thought was healthy most of the time, just to end up with diabetes, e.g. punnets of grapes, home made pancakes with unsweetened lemon juice, bananas, oranges, over a litre of pure orange juice a day (I was doing these to excess as well as extra strong mints (had no idea how sugary these were)). I would have maybe 4 pints of orange and lemonade a year at networking, no other fizzy drinks and no sugar in tea or coffee. So mentally I hate mainstream carbs, I have researched rice, potatoes, pasta, bread and similar and they are not for me, and never liked really sweet desserts. I have no idea how many calories I consume, I think it is around 3000 - 3250 a day, as I normally do an extra large bowl of berries, nuts, yogurt, seeds and spices for breakfast. For my second meal my wife normally does a LCHF meal, and I follow with a regular size bowl of berries, nuts, etc again. In reality I am conceptually a failed vegan, I eat less meat, as it sits heavy with me and love fish.
HI I have read that tropical fruits are bad, have a high Glycaemic index, even a high Glycaemic load - pancakes are heavy carb. Good fruits I read are papaya and apple and cold country fruits, the odd banana especially if it is a bit green, and strawberries and blackberries. Pure orange juice and so on are really bad. Too much sugar, and fructose . You must be a big person to eat over 3000 Calories a day. Look up the Idiots / Dummies guide for Calories needed to maintain body weight.

Reactions: Freema

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Just discovered the work of Roy Taylor about reversal of T2D. Some interesting videos available on YouTube. Has anyone tried a 15% weight loss? Did it make a difference? How did you cope?
I tried it and it seems to be working out for me. This was nearly a year ago and my blood sugars are still , most of the time at least, ok or good. I found it a brutal diet, I've never dieted before in my life, I've never needed to . I had a BMI of 25 and now its 21. Having said it was brutal I figured it was only 8 weeks of my life and I didnt want to go down the medication route. I read a whole lot about this before I tried it and there really is a lot of info out there, I mean real science which pretty much implies that it does really work and then there's all these people here who it has worked for . Its not an easy route, at least it wasnt for me but I do feel it was worth it! Getting on the diet, getting good information and regular self monitoring I would recommend

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the people need to go BELOW BMI 20. Some need to lose 20% of previous weight.
But I'll be too skinny then :( In a way I think it's better when you are a bit heavier when diagnosed, then it's possible to lose the 20%

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
But I'll be too skinny then :( In a way I think it's better when you are a bit heavier when diagnosed, then it's possible to lose the 20%

Then you put weight back on, after you've cleared the internal fat.
Healthy eating, exercise, put the fat back on in the right places.

Give it a try.
You never know.

Reactions: JoycieW and Freema

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then you put weight back on, after you've cleared the internal fat.
Healthy eating, exercise, put the fat back on in the right places.

Give it a try.
You never know.
Actually pretty good advice, thanks :) Really quite scared of getting under 50kg but I suppose I should try. Would love to reverse the diabetes completely and I am pretty stubborn, so I'm sure I can do it!! Thanks again :D

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I tried it and it seems to be working out for me. This was nearly a year ago and my blood sugars are still , most of the time at least, ok or good. I found it a brutal diet, I've never dieted before in my life, I've never needed to . I had a BMI of 25 and now its 21. Having said it was brutal I figured it was only 8 weeks of my life and I didnt want to go down the medication route. I read a whole lot about this before I tried it and there really is a lot of info out there, I mean real science which pretty much implies that it does really work and then there's all these people here who it has worked for . Its not an easy route, at least it wasnt for me but I do feel it was worth it! Getting on the diet, getting good information and regular self monitoring I would recommend
Hi sorry and surprised you found it brutal. I was amazed how easy it was. I was determined to do it - and I had never dieted before. Cutting out the fast starches and then writing down everything I ate, with the calories and carbs - it was fun if time consuming. Being retired, I had the time to do it. Very little hunger pain - if I did occasionally feel a little empty well I chugged down some Coke Zero or a cup of black tea or a pint of water. Easy. Saw my trousers get loose. Amazed. Saw my fasting blood sugars zoom down to normal and even towards the bottom of normal range. GREAT. Wonderful to be alive and kicking at this time with the internet, the modern discoveries, the whole shebang. Imagine, not so many years ago pocket calculators did not exist, and the simpe calculations to work out one's dietary calory intake would have taken ages. Now all done in seconds, and the internet there to consult for the various queries.. SUPER times are here.

Reactions: JoycieW

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry and surprised you found it brutal. I was amazed how easy it was. I was determined to do it - and I had never dieted before. Cutting out the fast starches and then writing down everything I ate, with the calories and carbs - it was fun if time consuming. Being retired, I had the time to do it. Very little hunger pain - if I did occasionally feel a little empty well I chugged down some Coke Zero or a cup of black tea or a pint of water. Easy. Saw my trousers get loose. Amazed. Saw my fasting blood sugars zoom down to normal and even towards the bottom of normal range. GREAT. Wonderful to be alive and kicking at this time with the internet, the modern discoveries, the whole shebang. Imagine, not so many years ago pocket calculators did not exist, and the simpe calculations to work out one's dietary calory intake would have taken ages. Now all done in seconds, and the internet there to consult for the various queries.. SUPER times are here.

well I think you are lucky having felt it that easy.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I kept a diary on the diet too , the first few days / week were easy , fab in fact a kind of euphoria set in I guess as the sudden drop in calories hit me. After a while I got weak though. I'm an artist and setting up shows , humping big boxes of art work and display stuff around then talking to people, thousands over a week end was more than tiring on such a low calorie intake. My sugars dropped though . With me it took 3/4 weeks to notice the drop I was only testing ever few days ( at the advice of the NHS nurse) , now knowing what I do a monitor far more often 5- 10 times a day depending on how things are going. I've found a lot of things I used to think was healthy spike my sugars for many hours. ( Porridge for breakfast , 4-5 pieces of fruit a day, home made daily bread ,now all a thing of the past). The food thing is a learning curve. There are plenty of great new carb free foods I now eat. I do not regret either doing the diet or changing my eating style, but as I say it wasnt easy and remains a challange, but thats ok, in fact its more than OK.......

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
well I think you are lucky having felt it that easy.
Hi Freema - I suppose it is partly attitude. I told myself that however hard it was, I was going to stick with it as I was determined to do my best . My GP was so unhelpful and discouraging. I was really bashed down mentally.
It was a case of ' When the going gets tough the Tough gets going ' and I felt the only way to go was to fight. So when hunger or temptation arose I deliberately enjoyed the exercise of will power, the self denial , it was like enjoying jumping into cold water. Great when you pluck up the nerve to do it, and exhilarating after doing it. The diet which I had expected to be very hard, was in the end not that bad - I suppose you might say it was not easy, but it was not horrible , was far easier than I expected, and the low blood sugar readings were so helpful, reinforcing my enthusiasm.
I did slacken off now and then and got higher readings, and immediately felt guilty and lousy and determined to try harder. But really, any time I got stuck mentally , just eating a huge plate of vegetables and salads soon put me right. Recently , late at night , I was tempted to buy some chocolates . Into the all night mini market , read the labels on some choc bars, did a quick calculation, realised that little bar had more than six spoons of sugar in it , put it back on the shelf, and walked out with some sugar free gum. Another little triumph.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema - I suppose it is partly attitude. I told myself that however hard it was, I was going to stick with it as I was determined to do my best . My GP was so unhelpful and discouraging. I was really bashed down mentally.
It was a case of ' When the going gets tough the Tough gets going ' and I felt the only way to go was to fight. So when hunger or temptation arose I deliberately enjoyed the exercise of will power, the self denial , it was like enjoying jumping into cold water. Great when you pluck up the nerve to do it, and exhilarating after doing it. The diet which I had expected to be very hard, was in the end not that bad - I suppose you might say it was not easy, but it was not horrible , was far easier than I expected, and the low blood sugar readings were so helpful, reinforcing my enthusiasm.
I did slacken off now and then and got higher readings, and immediately felt guilty and lousy and determined to try harder. But really, any time I got stuck mentally , just eating a huge plate of vegetables and salads soon put me right. Recently , late at night , I was tempted to buy some chocolates . Into the all night mini market , read the labels on some choc bars, did a quick calculation, realised that little bar had more than six spoons of sugar in it , put it back on the shelf, and walked out with some sugar free gum. Another little triumph.

well we are all different and the condition we are in both physically and mental when we start what ever extreme we will do is of great importance... I think I was shell choked right when I got my diagnosis and then I just started and did 6 month of 1000 calories on a daily basis... it was quite easy for me... which it isn´t any longer .. and I still want to loose more weight..
am still thinking of what eating style and fitness I can do and get myself to do to loose the rest 10- 15 kg..
try reading this carefully a bit scaring actually ;https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/opinion/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger.html?_r=2

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well you seem to be able to use anger as a motivator too... I sometimes has that personality trait too..... some get only chaotic from anger and get stuck in a singleminded anger and sometimes even revenge-lust and others react more constructive and goal orientated, but no matter what it is in the core up to how well one manage to motivate oneself and what one can use as a motivator.. some need I think positive motivating from others and others can turn their will to prove others wrong into a motivator ..there are I guess many many different aspects that can motivate the individual and it is also of importance to find out what that can possibly be as we really need that knowledge to keep on doing the right choices and keeping up our spirites in this enduring effort and "fight" ...or carrier

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
well we are all different and the condition we are in both physically and mental when we start what ever extreme we will do is of great importance... I think I was shell choked right when I got my diagnosis and then I just started and did 6 month of 1000 calories on a daily basis... it was quite easy for me... which it isn´t any longer .. and I still want to loose more weight..
am still thinking of what eating style and fitness I can do and get myself to do to loose the rest 10- 15 kg..
try reading this carefully a bit scaring actually ;https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/opinion/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger.html?_r=2
HI FREEMA.
I read the link - it's worth pointing out that a diet restricting fats will cause more hunger pangs than a diet restricting carbs. The hunger sensation comes from the carb derived blood sugar levels falling. When eating low carbs and high fats, there are less hunger pangs , so I have found, especially after a few days. This is because the blood sugar levels are not shooting up and down. Of course hunger could be stimulated by the drugs [ medications ] being taken, and in my case I took no drugs at all.

Reactions: kokhongw

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI FREEMA.
I read the link - it's worth pointing out that a diet restricting fats will cause more hunger pangs than a diet restricting carbs. The hunger sensation comes from the carb derived blood sugar levels falling. When eating low carbs and high fats, there are less hunger pangs , so I have found, especially after a few days. This is because the blood sugar levels are not shooting up and down. Of course hunger could be stimulated by the drugs [ medications ] being taken, and in my case I took no drugs at all.

I think it is meant more like a warning of longtime low caloring .. as it seems people do want to eat much more later on when not low caaloring anymore and that one will both have a cronical lower metabolism and store much more fat than ever before... as if the body tries to compensate and be prepared for another great hunger catastrophe

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Seems to be an old wives tale.
It doesn't seem to have caused any problems for anyone on here that has actually done the Newcastle Diet, certainly I had no issues.

Unless you've seen any, and can help us by linking to them?