Prof Tim Noakes

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I'm suspicious of Noakes. In a few tweets today he said Cholesterol doesn't affect women and hardly affects men. I don't know if I believe this as others have showed strong sources saying otherwise.
Having read up on this, the research I have seen suggests that total cholesterol in the 5-6 mmol/l range is beneficial (ie decreased mortality) to men and women over 60. The benefit is more pronounced in women. There is also no real evidence that LDL is harmful, except for particular types that have become radicalised. HDL always seems beneficial.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having read up on this, the research I have seen suggests that total cholesterol in the 5-6 mmol/l range is beneficial (ie decreased mortality) to men and women over 60. The benefit is more pronounced in women. There is also no real evidence that LDL is harmful, except for particular types that have become radicalised. HDL always seems beneficial.

Just backing up Brian here. From two years' reading on cholesterol, that's correct. Not one study has ever found cholesterol lowering improved women's mortality: higher cholesterol consistently correlates to longer lifetimes for women.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is very interesting. It hadn't occurred to me before that a shorter lifespan caused by poor dietary advice would be of such interest to the insurance industry. So much room for litigation and suppression by the pharmaceutical and food lobbies. Perhaps things are changing.
A blog on HealthInsightUK called the Coming Clash of the Titans - Global Sugar vs. Global Life Insurance on the healthiest diet: http://healthinsightuk.org/2017/01/...t-diet-global-sugar-vs-global-life-insurance/

It's also very positive towards Dr Unwin @Southport GP's approach while panning the lightweight treatment it was given on the Food Unwrapped diet special.

Last edited:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I despair at the quality of 'diet programmes' on UK TV. There was an opportunity, and it got off to a good start, and it was interesting and engaging. Do the presenters make no attempt to understand their topics? The girl who picked up the piece of bacon (clearly with distaste) and pulled off the 'offensive' fat, utterly clueless! Here was an opportunity, and it was lost, droned in frippery and rubbish! Back to Prof Noakes videos for me!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Thanks @carol43 ! A very interesting in depth piece investigation and analysis.

I find it incredible that Vorster ever contemplated she could avoid using her own contribution in the joint authorship of the report she and her organisation used to bring the charges against Noakes, citing "Anon"....incomprehensible

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi John,
We probably get far more mercury from the fish and omega 3 capsules we take (if we do?) each day.
Teeth fillings could be a problem?
atb
Derek
What teeth? Mine went on permanent walkabout many years ago.

lindisfel

Expert
not for me only six teeth left no fillings.:)

Problem is you end up getting mercury from manifold sources so have no way to know how much is in your system.

I no longer eat tuna very often. But do salmon lower in Mercury than tuna but still has some.
It is interesting that Scottish salmon producers have upped their pesticide use considerably to kill resistant to poison sea lice. There is some suggestion the amount exceeds world health guidelines and is killing shellfish.
D.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is interesting that Scottish salmon producers have upped their pesticide use considerably to kill resistant to poison sea lice. There is some suggestion the amount exceeds world health guidelines and is killing shellfish.
D.
We haven't had a food scandal for a while.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like the instalments were posted out of order again :(

Part 39 - Ketosis in infants and adults continued:

Reactions: Salvia