Progress after 4 days

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I have to share this with you... I am so happy and amazed at the progress I have made since I joined this forum and decided to quit eating bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. It has only been four days, but I have watched my BG steadily rising over the last year from a monthly average of mid-5s to 6.22 in March (I check it every morning). In the first six days of April the average had already been 6.36. I could see myself moving from the prediabetic state to full blown Type 2 within the next year or so.

Reading many posts on this forum I realised that a big culprit are the starchy foods like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I gave them all up and have had none of these for the last four days. Every morning my BG has been lower than before; the average for the last four days is 5.63 (compared to the average for the first six days in April of 6.36). I also lost 2 1/2 pounds (without even trying) and with a BMI of 44 that is an unexpected and most welcome bonus.

I have got cakes and biscuits in the pantry and have absolutely no desire to eat them - a first for me. I have no sugar craving at all, no craving for bread (which I normally eat a lot of) and I feel so much better in myself.

I know it's early days.... but I had to share this with you; especially with any newly diagosed prediabetic members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 19 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations...

Your BMI was similar to mine at diagnosis and I am about 1.5 pounds from dropping out of the obese range so keep on going. I went from having 8 to 12 slices of bread a day to zero for a month and then I added one slice back in but made sure it was a low GI form (like rye). I also haven't missed it. I was never a big rice and pasta eater but potatoes (especially chips, roast and mash) I have never given up but reduced my intact to a very small amount (about 50g per sitting originally). It is the fat around the liver and pancreas that you need to get rid of and that goes pretty fast.

Keep it up and keep reporting the good work. It is the fat around the liver and pancreas that you need to get rid of and that goes pretty fast and the next time you see the doctor you will blow their socks off (that is such a weird saying)

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yay! Well done! LCHF rocks! Imagine how much you'll have lost in a month! Really pleased for you! Big hug!

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Well done, you have done so well to achieve what you have, keep it up and keep us informed x

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Keep going! I tried to do this while I was still pre-diabetic, but sadly failed....other health factors got in the way. I have been diabetic for 3 and a half years now. I sincerely hope you succeed where I failed. Your BMI is around the same as mine, so maybe we can encourage each other? One thing I did wrong which contributed to my downfall in this was that I didn't drink enough water to wash down any extra protein I was consuming. This resulted in water retention and extremely high blood pressure. I wouldn't like you to make the same mistake as me, so please remember to drink plenty.

Well done again, and as the previous person said keep us posted.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done! Keep going! I tried to do this while I was still pre-diabetic, but sadly failed....other health factors got in the way. I have been diabetic for 3 and a half years now. I sincerely hope you succeed where I failed. Your BMI is around the same as mine, so maybe we can encourage each other? One thing I did wrong which contributed to my downfall in this was that I didn't drink enough water to wash down any extra protein I was consuming. This resulted in water retention and extremely high blood pressure. I wouldn't like you to make the same mistake as me, so please remember to drink plenty.

Well done again, and as the previous person said keep us posted.
Thank you, Zand, for the recommendation to drink more. I actually drink very little (far less than I ought to do), but will try and make the attempt to drink more.

My blood pressure is always very low (latest in February was 100/84) and as I'm already 64 (and it has always been nice and low) I don't think I need to worry about that. I try and eat a lot of vegetables with it so that at least I don't suffer from constipation (again, never had problems with that so far), although yesterday I discovered something new.....

Equal amounts of quark with low fat creme fraiche, raspberries (defrosted), strawberries and desiccated coconut. Utterly delicious. Will be a breakfast favourite from now on.

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Your BMI is around the same as mine, so maybe we can encourage each other? .

Oh, forgot to say... yes, I would love to do that. Being new to this forum... how do we do that?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot go into the same room as shop bought bread without my BS rising but I have found that potatoes are not as bad as I first thought. Using my meter to check on the effect of potatoes I find that I can usually eat new ones without a problem. I can toss them in butter and get the fat as well.

Cutting out things with flour or sugar in them was not a problem but not having potatoes would have been. It might be worth doing the test on yourself.

Well done, by the way, didn't you do well.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BMI is around the same as mine, so maybe we can encourage each other? .

Oh, forgot to say... yes, I would love to do that. Being new to this forum... how do we do that?
We can either do updates on this thread or send PM's to each other. I will send you a PM and if you want to continue messaging privately that's fine by me (some people don't seem to like to do this), if you don't want to do this, just ignore the PM I send you and we can carry on publicly on this thread. It's up to you.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Gudrun, you have done really well in 4 days, you should be extremely proud of yourself. Keep us informed of your progress it will be encouragement for others to see how well you have done.

Marilyn

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I cannot go into the same room as shop bought bread without my BS rising but I have found that potatoes are not as bad as I first thought. Using my meter to check on the effect of potatoes I find that I can usually eat new ones without a problem. I can toss them in butter and get the fat as well.

Cutting out things with flour or sugar in them was not a problem but not having potatoes would have been. It might be worth doing the test on yourself.

Well done, by the way, didn't you do well.
I think I have to keep trying different things. For now I'll like to keep going without potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and see how it goes after a month (if I last that long). So far it's been far easier than I thought. And so far, I THINK I feel better in myself, but that could just be wishful thinking. I need to test and test again what works best for me.

I used to love potatoes and may introduce them again later, will have to wait and see...

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done Gudrun, you have done really well in 4 days, you should be extremely proud of yourself. Keep us informed of your progress it will be encouragement for others to see how well you have done.

Marilyn
Thank you Marilyn, I am very proud of myself, especially as I have not even been tempted to eat the cakes and biscuits (Mr Kiplings) in the pantry. I almost forgot about them.

I think perhaps the reason why I have managed to do so well over the last 4 days is that I eat lots of other things I liked, rather than deny myself every good thing (because WW, Slimming world, etc. told me they are bad). I have felt encouraged by reading that fat can be good and so the food I eat tasted better than what I had attempted before.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gudrun, No one could have had a sweeter tooth than me, I used to eat high suger cereals, cakes, chocolate, biscuits, sweets etc. and the more I ate the more I wanted it is almost like an addiction to sugar. However, I was only diagnosed in Feb this year and my sweet tooth has gone, I no longer crave sweet things. I have lost weight, gone down from a size 14 to a size 10 and I am very happy with my BG levels. Have a good look round this site and on the internet you will be amazed what yummy food you can eat that won't affect your BG.

Keep up the good work.

Marilyn

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I think I have to keep trying different things. For now I'll like to keep going without potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and see how it goes after a month (if I last that long). So far it's been far easier than I thought. And so far, I THINK I feel better in myself, but that could just be wishful thinking. I need to test and test again what works best for me.

I used to love potatoes and may introduce them again later, will have to wait and see...
Hi Gudrun. Have you tried Puy lentils? They work well for me. Pan fry salmon in garlic butter. Add in lentils, some spinach leaves and lemon juice. Very filling. Tastes yummy!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Gudrun, No one could have had a sweeter tooth than me, I used to eat high suger cereals, cakes, chocolate, biscuits, sweets etc. and the more I ate the more I wanted it is almost like an addiction to sugar. However, I was only diagnosed in Feb this year and my sweet tooth has gone, I no longer crave sweet things. I have lost weight, gone down from a size 14 to a size 10 and I am very happy with my BG levels. Have a good look round this site and on the internet you will be amazed what yummy food you can eat that won't affect your BG.

Keep up the good work.

Marilyn
I think, Marilyn, that is exactly why I have started and maintained the last 4 days without starch, while still eating really good and tasty food. In the past I denied myself too many foods and usually only lasted a day or two (or less) before I binged on sweet things. The old rebellious me always surfaced with a vengeance..... 'Nobody tells me what I should eat or do' (I'm sure you know what I mean). There are a lot of members here who are teaching me that you can eat a lot of good, healthy (and fatty) foods.

I don't eat particularly high fat now, but don't deny myself something because it's got fat in. With not even a hint of a guilty conscience when I eat the skin of chicken I enjoy my food much more.

I can't really figure out why I haven't got cravings for sweet things, or especially bread, but long may it last.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Gudrun. Have you tried Puy lentils? They work well for me. Pan fry salmon in garlic butter. Add in lentils, some spinach leaves and lemon juice. Very filling. Tastes yummy!
I have eaten lentils (and like them), but have never heard of puy lentils. Does any supermarket sell them? Will try it out

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't really figure out why I haven't got cravings for sweet things, or especially bread, but long may it last.

I don't really know the answer to that but I was wondering if a person with a full tum needs to have cravings at all. The old way of dieting made you think about food most of the time but this new way gives you time off.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I find with LCHF too - I can go for hours without even thinking about food. Quite a shock to the system after all the years of grazing and snacking.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Very odd... perhaps the body needs more fat than I used to give it (unless it came in the form of fat within chocolate, cakes, biscuits).

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Very well done Gudrun, the mutual support and gentle nudging on this site is amazing isn't it?