Progress after 4 days

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well done Gudrun on your walk and fab news about your bs. I went for an hour's walk after my lunch and my bs was 4.5 before lunch, 6.1 2 hours after lunch. I thought it would have been lower after a walk. It is good to test but I also remember how confused I was by the results!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
well done Gudrun on your walk and fab news about your bs. I went for an hour's walk after my lunch and my bs was 4.5 before lunch, 6.1 2 hours after lunch. I thought it would have been lower after a walk. It is good to test but I also remember how confused I was by the results!

I am still new at all this. So far it all is very encouraging. If I get results like yours (the BS higher after the walk than before), no doubt I'll worry. But I know that if I come onto this forum and talk about it, someone will put my mind at ease again.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The boys on the exercise threads are saying that steady exercise drops blood glucose (walking, slow jogging, rowing), and intense exercise ( sprinting, weight training, intervals), raises it. Very interesting reading. And translated into my overweight unfit bod, I would say that gentle trundling will lower, while hills, flights of stairs, kettle bell swings will raise it. Of course exercise does raise the metabolic rate, so even if levels rise, they will drop again more quickly than if sedentary.

May have to test my brilliant theory. If I turn out to be completely wrong, I'll let you all know. Lol.

Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The boys on the exercise threads are saying that steady exercise drops blood glucose (walking, slow jogging, rowing), and intense exercise ( sprinting, weight training, intervals), raises it. Very interesting reading. And translated into my overweight unfit bod, I would say that gentle trundling will lower, while hills, flights of stairs, kettle bell swings will raise it. Of course exercise does raise the metabolic rate, so even if levels rise, they will drop again more quickly than if sedentary.

May have to test my brilliant theory. If I turn out to be completely wrong, I'll let you all know. Lol.

we did our walk the other way round today and it involved walking uphill towards the end of the walk. Maybe that made a difference.

My bg before tea was 5.7 and 2 hours later 5.7 so that was good:)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
we did our walk the other way round today and it involved walking uphill towards the end of the walk. Maybe that made a difference.

That, at least, won't be a problem for me... I find going uphill extremely difficult (got ME). Flat walking or slightly undulating is all I can do without collapsing in a heap at the end.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

That's very interesting, Brunneria. I wonder what the science behind it all it.

I do avoid hills, too many stairs, and heavy exercise, so shouldn't run into problems of my BS being raised.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Flights of stairs will not raise it - that is gentle. There is a japanese paper I read that showed that the people walking 230 steps about an hour after eating had much better control. Found it quite interesting and weaved it into my routine for those days when I can't exercise. Have been known to be seen walking up and down the towers at work whilst on calls. It doesn't need to be fast just anything that makes the muscles ache a little

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I climb 6 flights of stairs a couple of times a day at work, and believe me, at my weight and fitness level, that counts as heavy lifting! Lol. But I take your point.

And the steps after eating - very useful, thank you. Puts a whole new perspective on the post-prandial stroll...

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is very interesting, Andrew. Thanks for that link. I do climb one flight of stairs a lot (live in a semi with the bathroom upstairs), and have no problem with that. Climbing more than one flight may be more exhausting, but I think I'll incorporate this into my substitute for a pudding.
Yes when I do it I do 20 flights, 260 steps. Used to take me 20 mins but now do it in under 10 min's but it doesn't seem to have the same effect on my blood glucose as I am so much fitter than I was.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes when I do it I do 20 flights, 260 steps. Used to take me 20 mins but now do it in under 10 min's but it doesn't seem to have the same effect on my blood glucose as I am so much fitter than I was.

Does that mean the level of fitness has an effect on BS? I thought it was the actual exercise only. That would be very interesting.

Everybody in my family developed diabetes in their 30s and 40s (apart from one niece, they are/were all diabetic with T2). I moved away from Germany when I was 27 and changed my lifestyle (eat differently, walked a lot, etc.) In my late 30s I started to train karate and trained for 5 years. I have always, always put down the fact that I have not developed T2 like the rest of my family in my 30s/40s to the fact that I was so much more active than them (and eat differently).

I developed chronic fatigue/ME 20 years ago and since then I am much more sedentary and just go through phases where I can walk a mile a day or so, but can't do it regularly. Now I am prediabetic, but considering the diabetic fate of the rest of my family I am very pleased that I managed to hold T2 at bay for such a long time.

So is it level of fitness that has helped me not to become like the rest of my family? Because, surely, the genes are likely to be there.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Gudrun All I can tell you is that I can now reduce my glucose levels from 9 to 5 in about 5 mins but it takes more physically demanding exercise to do it. My rate of use has increase but the trigger point seems to have gone up as well. I will still use it at lower rates but that is much slower. Maybe all I have got is a second gear now whereas before I only had a first gear

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Gudrun All I can tell you is that I can now reduce my glucose levels from 9 to 5 in about 5 mins but it takes more physically demanding exercise to do it. My rate of use has increase but the trigger point seems to have gone up as well. I will still use it at lower rates but that is much slower. Maybe all I have got is a second gear now whereas before I only had a first gear

I like to know more about this. Will try and find some research next week. I always like to understand what's happening and why.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like to know more about this. Will try and find some research next week. I always like to understand what's happening and why.
I think it is because my muscle mass has increased so my muscle glucogen store is larger so unless I push it harder I do not exhaust them and therefore the slower uptake at low levels of exercise. Eventually it will kick in but takes longer and then faster (may be)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful information! Thank you Andrew.

I really do need to walk to work every day. I am so lucky to live so close to work, but in rain or bad weather Mr B sometimes drops me off. It is only with access to information like this, and a blood glucose monitor that I can appreciate all these fantastic subtleties - and be motivated enough.

I've been low carbing for years, but I've been working blind - basing everything on how I feel. But that leaves out so much of the picture. Now, armed with this wonderful site, the input of all the contributors, and a way to actually measure the effect of food, activity AND knowing how I feel... What a difference!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my fasting bg was 4,8 this morning. after breakfast of berries, full fat yoghurt and a cup of tea (1 1/2 hours) my bg was 5,9. lunch was almond pizza and a cup of tea. i did the same walk as yesterday but the other way round and after 2 hours it was 6. Maybe it was the food yesterday not the walk that put my bg up. more testing I think...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can't get Optifast in the UK, so I use an alternative, Shake that Weight. I have an incredibly healthy meal at night, with lots of veg, homemade soups etc. from the recipes they give on their website. I wanted the drastic reduction in calorific intake to try to reverse the diabetes - but the weight loss has been great and I intend to keep going. But everyone must do what works for them!
I am visiting the UK in May and plan to bring my own Optifast with me as I have a gastric Band and will need it after a long flight is it illegal to do that does anyone know?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate that we've been brainwashed about fat etc by diet fads and companies. I used to do slimming world but now the thought of a green day (full of carbs) repulsed me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App