Progress after 4 days

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Yes, I remember green and red days and it never made sense to me. It's all brainwashing, as you said, to get our money. What I loathed was the attitude of 'don't ask any questions.. just do as we tell you'

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know! And the leader is not qualified to make such claims.

But the docs also need to change their advice too. We've been told carbs are ok and fat is bad. So wrong!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi Gudrun, I was wondering how much you have reduced your carbs by? I want to lose weight as well (about a stone) and I'm thinking of reducing my carbs to help with this and my glucose levels. I got my first meter last week and so far my average FBG has been 8.5. I'm very much in the early stages and would appreciate any advice you could give me. Yesterday I only had carbs at breakfast and lunchtime and my FBG this morning was 6.7 :)

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Gudrun, I was wondering how much you have reduced your carbs by? I want to lose weight as well (about a stone) and I'm thinking of reducing my carbs to help with this and my glucose levels. I got my first meter last week and so far my average FBG has been 8.5. I'm very much in the early stages and would appreciate any advice you could give me. Yesterday I only had carbs at breakfast and lunchtime and my FBG this morning was 6.7 :)

Hi Diamum,

to be honest, I do not measure my carbs at all. I saw the dietitian and her advice just wan't helpful (follow the Eat Well Plate and reduce portions), and I then started to follow the advice on this forum on Low Carb, Medium Fat eating on 6th April.

I stopped eating all bread, pasta, potatoes, rice and obviously anything made with flour or sugar (like biscuits, cake, chocolate, etc.). I eat pretty much whatever I wanted otherwise. Probably a bit less fruit (apart from strawberries, raspberries) and quite a bit more fish (salmon and mackerel).

Within just a few days my fasting blood sugar levels went down. It has been steadily rising since I started to measure it every morning and in March was an average of 6.22. Now my average fasting BS level is 5.2. I have a few times introduced some crispbread (3 slices with cheese, for example) when I felt particularly hungry and once or twice had a biscuit since the beginning of April. I also had new potatoes a couple of times, but I believe because I gave my pancreas 'a holiday' none of it raised my blood sugar levels again.

I initially lost some weight quite quickly (about half a stone or so), but then got stuck. I am now losing weight again, but slowly. Mostly because I am very busy at the moment and don't really have time to eat / be at home near the fridge. I've got a lot of weight to lose, but my main concern is bringing the BS levels down.

I have increased the fat slightly, using butter and a bit more olive oil than I used to, But generally, the best thing you can do is to cut out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry and obviously sweet things. Exercise is also very good in bringing down the BS levels. Try it for a few days and let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Jan McGee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That, at least, won't be a problem for me... I find going uphill extremely difficult (got ME). Flat walking or slightly undulating is all I can do without collapsing in a heap at the end.

I have M.E. too Gudrun, and a BMI of 44. I am also just starting out on this journey and am hoping reducing carbs will help weight loss too.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have M.E. too Gudrun, and a BMI of 44. I am also just starting out on this journey and am hoping reducing carbs will help weight loss too.

We're very similar, Jan. I've got a BMI of 43. My ambition now is to get it below 40 by August.