Protecting cannula when swimming

missiemilla

Hi!

This is probably a silly newbie question but how do you protect your cannula when you have a bath or swim?

And how do you stop the insulin leaking out of the cannula tube?

I'm using accu-chek rapid-d link and have tried covering with a waterproof dressing, but found that when I got out, inside the dressing was damp and most of the tubing was empty. So then I had to replace it anyway in order to prime.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Should have a cap to put on the cannual, can.be ordered with your consumables from accu chek, rapid d caps. Pump should be in stop mode when off you, so when in stop mode, press the menu button on pump 3 times and tick button to choose infusion set priming. Prime till insulin comes out of tubing, this can be done without changing everything. re~attatch, and start pump, all done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

missiemilla

Oh wow, thank you, that was exactly what I needed to know!
Just rang Roche and they're sending me the protective caps now.
I'll have to tell the nurse - she was the one who suggested the dressings so guess she had forgotten there are proper caps available.

Ahhhh, I can have a bath again now :)

iHs

I hope that Accu Chek do the decent thing and put the blue rubber caps in an envelope with 1st class stamp but doubt that this will happen as more likely they will be sent using a box delivered by courier service Grrrrrrrrrrrrr and charge the CCG Grrrrrrrrr