Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting! The other day I was watching a program about animal rescues (could have been called that) and they were testing a cat for 'Feline Aids' :shock: .......never knew they could get that and took me by surprise.

Nigel

Cowboyjim

You have to own one to find out the parallels with human illnesses... ironically we had a cat that got diabetes... our tom has a thyroid problem and is on pills pending an op... good job he was insured... now don't get me started on bunnies and pedigree dogs! 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
When we lived at the edge of a forest 6 cats used to sit outside our kitchen window until we fed them. We were devastated when they all died of feline aids. Now the illness has more or less died out in Switzerland where I live.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
These were wild stray moggies so we couldn't get hold of them. And they were probably infected when they came to us as you don't see they are ill until the very end. There's no cure. Our own cats weren't vaccinated as we didn't know much about these things then and one of them died
too :( When we knew about the vaccine it was too late. But strangely enough the other didn't get ill - she died years later from cancer.
I haven't known a cat that had diabetes but know its possible and that sometimes they need insulin.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My brother is a vet in Surrey and told me several years ago that dogs get T1 and cats get T2.
He has a number of diabetic patients. their outcomes d3epend on how careful their people are with them.
Hana

Cowboyjim

Indeed things have changed a lot in our experience in only a few years. That cat with DM was old anyway - a stray that like some do just appeared in our garden (in a shocking state...) we think she was a Burmese so...? We did the best for her but she eventually went blind.
I do wonder about pet food too... full of cereal... but I think we have discussed that elsewhere.
For bunnies too care has vastly improved thanks to practical anaesthesia. We have had several from the RSPCA and all have been neutered OK. This is essential for a load of reasons but mainly because females are very prone to cancer of the girly bits. MW the vets have very happy happy ka ching! 8)