Protein at bf

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of us have troubles with bs rising after protein at bf??

Latest experiment. Just half an avocado with tie bits of onion and celery the last two days. Prior to that always added 1 measly ounce of turkey or smoked salmon.
Last two days took 1/2 unit of novolog and dropped 10(us, .6 U.K.?) and stayed right around there for two hours.
When I had the protein, I took one unit, then an hour later either 1/2 or 1 and then 2 hours after that another 1/2.

Today without protein I took half ( so half my normal as I woke up a tad low) but it took two hours to see even the slightest rise. So being Saturday I took another half as I'm going to get off my bum and start my day ( 2 hours later haha)

I think I gluconeogenisis like there's no tomorrow.

I can eat SOME at lunch and more at dinner with the same 1/2 unit and no further injections. Obviously I process protein better later in the day. This is making me think a veg diet shows promise in reducing bs however I could never get enough protein as beans and soy are not on my list. Nor is dairy. So I guess I'll stick with protein at lunch and dinner only.

Just curious as to who else needs to not eat protein early in the day. Perhaps all the BP coffee drinkers!!!
It's no hardship for me to just eat guacamole!!! I just want to make sure I get enough protein daily.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Kristin251 I take almost as much insulin for 2 boiled eggs for breakfast (0g CHO) as I used to take for a small bowl of porridge (20g CHO), before I went low carb. So yes, I get hit by protein.

It confused me that my DSN was surprised to hear I bolus for eggs. They 'don't recommend taking insulin for foods that don't contain carbohydrate'.

Which is why I hang out on here more than I hang out there!

;)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find i need to bolus for protein at breakfast of its a very low carb meal but not of the meal has some carbs present. So eggs alone us, eggs on toast no. Took me a while to figure out the pattern

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find i need to bolus for protein at breakfast of its a very low carb meal but not of the meal has some carbs present. So eggs alone us, eggs on toast no. Took me a while to figure out the pattern
Interesting. I don't eat toast or carbs to speak of for that matter. For many reasons other than D
@Kristin251 I take almost as much insulin for 2 boiled eggs for breakfast (0g CHO) as I used to take for a small bowl of porridge (20g CHO), before I went low carb. So yes, I get hit by protein.

It confused me that my DSN was surprised to hear I bolus for eggs. They 'don't recommend taking insulin for foods that don't contain carbohydrate'.

Which is why I hang out on here more than I hang out there!

;)
I hear that!! And I've heard no bolus for veggies. Lol. I went up 50 (us) from romaine lettuce and a no carb fatty dressing when I was low and no other options to speak of. A large radish raises me 10 US. No glucose drinks/tabs needed here haha.

I just guess my body deals with protein much better as the day goes on but I do still need to bolus for it. Just not nearly as much as at bf. Good to know I'm not alone!! Do you have any idea how much protein you eat a day?? I find it cumulative as well. I find if I top over 40-45 per day my fastings and the next day will be higher.
I take more than 1/2 my daily insulin between bf and lunch.
Today I was running low on half my usual insulin. The power ( or not) of protein!
Can you take your whole bolus at once or do you need to split it for eggs?

No worries though. As stated on most threads I'm on, no hardship eating avocado!!!

Are you an avocado liker? I wonder what would happen if you had one egg and some avocado?? The fiber really helps in the morning. As far as I know haha....

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have any idea how much protein you eat a day?
LOADS I'm afraid! I used to eat loads of fruit and starchy carbs (as per standard advice), but since finding it much much easier to balance my blood glucose - despite unlimited access to insulin - with low carbing, much of my diet is made up of protein, with the surprises that holds.

I start with eggs for breakfast (I bolus as if for 15g CHO) and one for a morning snack (no bolus), then a massive salad for lunch (20g CHO) with probably two things out of a selection of other stuff like homemade kefir cheese, half an avocado, some pate, ham, another egg or a chunk of hard cheese, then supper is always homemade and very very likely to feature homemade cauli mash, cauli rice or cauli cheese, and always with meat or fish - I do fish or chicken curries, chilli, sausages, bolognese, stews, mixed grills, omelettes, salads, all sorts! Plus something to follow, usually homemade FF yoghurt with a helping of sugar free strawberry jelly. Or at weekends, homemade low carb lemon cheesecake or chocolate mousse. My evening meal CHO count is generally between 40g and 55g CHO.

But it's protein a go go! I'd say my diet is two thirds veg, and the remaining third is split probably 60/40 between meat and dairy. For what it's worth my BMI lies between 20 and 21, and my sugars are very stable indeed (bearing in mind that - I hate to admit it - my diabetes seems very much to be my main focus in life). :banghead:

One of these days I'll do the protein maths....!

:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update.

Ran low all day yesterday with half my standard insulin between bf and lunch. Low enough I needed a snack. Then I even had to drop lantus from 2 units to 1.
Had half an avocado no protein bf today and ate then boluses 1/2 unit as I was 69 at fasting. One hour later 67. Snack time.
I knew protein effected bs but this is ridiculous!!

The only changes I made to my meals were 1.5 avocado instead of jus the one. All else the same.

When we talk protein should be .8g per kg does that include all veg protein too? Anyone?