protein powder shake for breakfast?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 43917

I really want to find a protein powder that I can use to make a shake for breakfast. But I've never used protein powder before and I don't know where to buy it from and what brand to get - can anyone help with suggestions? Also, what do you normally blend protein powder with? Thanks in advance for any help.

A

Anonymous

What's the reasoning behind using a protein powder? What are you hoping it will do ?

D

Deleted member 43917

I just thought it would be filling and provide a breakfast of some substance that would be low carb, as well as have health benefits to make sure I get enough protein.

craigieboy001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this is the stuff i'm using

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280640714879? ... 1423.l2649

quite good as good level of protein and low carb as well (which is a big bonus)

you can either use water or milk with it, i found using water never really made it too thick and didn't always fill me up. when i used a small carton of skimmed milk though it was like a proper milkshake.

i've used chocolate mint flavour (which was really nice) and started using raspberry (which isn't a bad flavour but just prefer the chocolate mint one) there are a few flavours to choose from but over all a good protein shake a litle less expensive than the likes of maxi muscle.

there are loads of others on the market though

Craig

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've done it in the past without too many problems, but honestly you're better off getting your protein from whole food than from a recovered waste product from the dairy industry.

Some people make the mistake of eating too much protein on a low-carb diet. Remember that any that isn't used in repairing and building your body will ultimately get converted to glucose in your blood. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek say that you should aim for between 0.6 to 1.0 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is enough for repair and rebuilding and to meet your brain's minimum glucose requirements, without elevating your BG levels later in the day. I'd save my protein allocation for meat and eggs, which as well as filling me up, provide a host of other nutritional benefits.

There is some suggestion that whey protein will spike your insulin, which is why people on ketogenic diets (like the Atkins induction) often avoid it. I usually eat some left over meat from the previous evening's meals for breakfast (some cold steak or a duck breast). The combination of protein and fat is enough to keep me satiated until lunch-time.

Whatever way you look at it, a low-carb protein shake is a better option than cornflakes or a bagel...

D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks craigie and borofergie for your replies. Borofergie - I appreciate what you are saying about eating too much protein. I'm still finding my way with a low- carb diet and sometimes just want to tuck into a sandwich, but know I can't because of the repercussions on my sugar levels - I've been trying to find things that will fill me up but not cost so much which I guess is why I thought protein powder in a smoothie could be a good idea for breakfast.

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
Shakes are a good breakfast when you haven't much time. They don't cause me to spike at all. I get mine from H&B, they are low carb and I usually add a glug of cream to make them even more satiating.I usually wait till they're half price, flavours are choc.(which you can also make into a hot drink), Strawberry, Banana and vanilla

Jane :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
apple123 said:
I've been trying to find things that will fill me up but not cost so much which I guess is why I thought protein powder in a smoothie could be a good idea for breakfast.

Eggs :idea:

Spiral

I also have issues with too much protien - about half of what you eat will be converted in to glucose, but I often have a protien shake for breakfast. Since starting to low carb I don't feel like eating first thing - I used to be permanently hungry when I ate carbs. I have baaaad dawn phenomenon on some days and need to keep my numbers down I can hit 7.8 on an empty stomach on some days. I can take a shake with me to work in a container for when I'm ready to eat at about 8.30, if I don't eat I will be derailed because I will get hungry before lunch time and that will throw me out for the rest of the day, especially if I eat my lunch before lunch time and have for go foraging mid afternoon.

I use a brand of protein powder called Pulsin', which I buy at a local independent healthfood shop. Soy powder costs £12 per kilo, Whey powder is £24 per kilo. I have both in the cupboard. They are GM free and additive free - most of the other ones I have seen have stuff added that increased the carb count. The price for the protien poweder is much better than H&B.

I have adapted a recipe I found in a Rose Elliot low carb recipe book (Fabulous Frappucino) and have seen various other recipies. This recipe makes half a litre, enough for my and my son. This recipe is a little vague on quantities, you need to adjust the quantities until you get a taste and thickness you like.

good quality instant coffee to taste -
sweetener of your choice to taste
hot water to disolve the coffee
double cream to taste
top up to 500ml with cold water
protien powder to taste
silken tofu - 1/4 block of the tetra pack one sold in Sainsburys gives me the texture I like.

I make up the 500ml before adding the protein powder. I mix it carefully in to the liquid with a balloon whisk before adding the tofu and whizzing it with a stick blender until all the lumps have gone. If you leave it, it will settle out and needs a very good shake or stir before consumption.

i have also used coconut and soy milk instead of water, but this can increase the carb count. I have also used cream cheese and lemon instead of tofu and coffe for a cheesecake flavour! I have made chocolate and peanut butter using cocoa and smooth peanut butter. I have used yoghurt and raspberries... the list can go on. The thing I have found with whatever brand of powder I use is that you need to blend the powder carefully, otherwise it can get very messy :shock:

A

Anonymous

I bought some protein shake mix this morning as something I might have when I get back from the pool. It's quite expensive but when I made it up with the suggested quantities it made rather a lot, so I'll probably half the amount and add some red fruit. It's fairly bland but not unpleasant but it did fill me up.

I realise that it's probably better to get my protein naturally, but it's nice to have alternative options.

Fraddycat

I've been having a skinny shake (from Amazon) for breakfast from time to time. I make it with Soya Milk because its not filling enough when I make it with just water. It does keep me full till about 20 past 11 when I have a handful of almonds.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use 2 dspoons each of ground almonds & coconut flour, made up with boiling water. I have it at b'fast supplemented with milled flax seeds & oat bran, & at night supplemented with low cal drinking choc. I always take a multivitamin/mineral supplement to ensure I get adequate nutrition. Sometimes I use soya or cows' milk, & m'wave to boil. Add cup-a-soup for lunch.

Gr Almonds 26 g - carb 1.7, prot 6.5, fat 14.6, fibre 1.9, kcal 164
coconut 18 g - carb 1.2, prot 1.0, fat 11.2, fibre 1, kcal 109
Total - 44 g - carb 2.9, prot 7.5, fat 25.8, fibre 2+, kcal 273

Whey powder 60 g in water: - carb 11.3, prot 42, fat 1.2, fibre -, kcal 227

I don't get hungry, & I have plenty of energy for tennis & table tennis. I'm not trying to lose weight nor body-build. I maintain a BMI of about 26.