NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
This is my review of PTS Diagnostic's home HbA1c testing kit "A1CNow+"

I don't remember where/when I first heard about the A1CNow home kit for testing HbA1c, but it was a while ago. Then, it was produced by Bayer, at least as early as 2010. It was acquired by PTS Diagnostics within the last few years. I like the idea of checking my HbA1c at home, so I started checking for kits on Ebay. Last week I ordered one, with ten tests. It cost CDN$185 including shipping (110 UK pounds). There are temperature storage requirements, so how would I know if a test kit bought from some random person on Ebay had not exceeded the max temp? Fortunately, there's a temperature sensitive label on the box with a dot that turns red if it has been in an environment over 122 F/ 50 C, which would ruin the test kit. Mine was fine. If stored in the fridge, the kit will last until it's expiry date, which for mine is a year from now. Stored at room temp it will last 4 months.

Having received the kit, still in the factory sealed box (see photo below), in the post last week, I gave it a try. I read the instructions carefully (see photo below), then went to work. The amount of blood needed is about the same you need for a regular glucometer, so I just used my lancer and got a sample into the thingamajig. First test: all seemed fine, the meter started counting down from 5 minutes, then after 5 minutes..."error". I thought I did it correctly, but maybe not as it was my first try.

Attempt number two: got the blood sample in the thingamajig, shook it up, but some of the fluid leaked out (I think I didn't insert it properly). I got the test going anyway, but didn't expect it to work. After 5 minutes: "error" again.

Third attempt: this one went perfectly, and after five minutes: 5.7%/38.8 mmol/mol (see photo below), which is about what I expected. Maybe a little better than I expected since my last lab test was 5.9%. Of course, I have no idea how accurate it is other than what the company claims, which is "99% accurate". I am getting my six-monthly lab HbA1 done next month, so I shall do another A1CNow+ test and compare results.

So, I used up three tests to get one result. However, all in all, I'd say it is an ok piece of kit if you have money to waste and really want to test your HbA1c on your own. I'm not yet convinced it can replace real lab tests, but it would be nice if it could (I know the lab tests are paid for by the government, but I don't like the inconvenience and waiting for results).

Here's a video of how to use the A1CNow (I really should have watched this myself before using it):

Box.jpg Instructions.jpg Result.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that @NoCrbs4Me I have seen these advertised on eBay and a few others on the forum have used them.

I have been tempted but it would either be these 10 HbA1c tests or 2 Libre sensors. I really couldn't justify both in addition to my Accu Chek cassettes and Codefree strips. At one time they used to sell a much cheaper package containing just 2 tests. They seem to have disappeared. But it's a good job you didn't have such a package!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm going to ask my gp practice to buy one! Wish me luck!?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to ask my gp practice to buy one! Wish me luck!?

I am chuckling at this! Why would they buy you one when they already provide you with an HbA1c check that will cost them a lot less than this one? However, I wish you luck!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for that @NoCrbs4Me I have seen these advertised on eBay and a few others on the forum have used them.

I have been tempted but it would either be these 10 HbA1c tests or 2 Libre sensors. I really couldn't justify both in addition to my Accu Chek cassettes and Codefree strips. At one time they used to sell a much cheaper package containing just 2 tests. They seem to have disappeared. But it's a good job you didn't have such a package!
I'd opt for the two Libre sensors, it's an interesting thought the way you have weighted the cost of both the Libre and the home HbA1c test kit @Bluetit1802.

The way I see it, two Libre sensors have the ability to monitor BGL's tightly and ultimately reduce your HbA1c through improved observation of said BG values/trends. Although the HbA1c home test kit maybe handy, it wouldn't help me in any way to improve my management of my diabetes...

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, Ive been using MySugr to track my daily readings for around 5 days and it's telling me approx A1C of 5.3 I may buy one of these and compare.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd opt for the two Libre sensors, it's an interesting thought the way you have weighted the cost of both the Libre and the home HbA1c test kit @Bluetit1802.

The way I see it, two Libre sensors have the ability to monitor BGL's tightly and ultimately reduce your HbA1c through improved observation of said BG values/trends. Although the HbA1c home test kit maybe handy, it wouldn't help me in any way to improve my management of my diabetes...
For sure I wouldn't recommend this unless you weren't concerned about the cost. It might be good for someone newly diagnosed that wants to see changes in their HbA1c more frequently than 3 months. Like the lab HbA1c test, it's really just to confirm that you are managing your blood glucose levels as well as you can with regular strips or a CGM.

I also buy freestyle libre sensors once in a while, but I get my glucose meter strips for free. Since I virtually never eat carbs, none of that testing helps me management my blood glucose levels. In fact the free style libre has the opposite effect because I like to see what carious carby food does to my levels when I have a sensor going.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I totally agree. My Libre has been invaluable to me, but interim HbA1c tests would merely be curiosity and of no real benefit. Apart from anything else, I pay very little attention to my HbA1c because whilst they are a useful tool for diagnosing diabetes, I don't believe they are in any way useful for determining tight control. I'm in the variability school, and as long as my glucose deviation is good, and my finger pricking and libre give good results, I am happy. The HbA1c will never show anyone the sort of dangerous swings they may be having, it just shows the average of the highs and lows.

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=14131

It is also an unreliable marker for anyone whose red blood cells do not live for the standard 120 or so days - either short lived or long lived. And how do we know how long our red blood cells live? We don't without extremely expensive special tests. So basically, we don't know if our HbA1c results are actually too low or too high.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree. My Libre has been invaluable to me, but interim HbA1c tests would merely be curiosity and of no real benefit. Apart from anything else, I pay very little attention to my HbA1c because whilst they are a useful tool for diagnosing diabetes, I don't believe they are in any way useful for determining tight control. I'm in the variability school, and as long as my glucose deviation is good, and my finger pricking and libre give good results, I am happy. The HbA1c will never show anyone the sort of dangerous swings they may be having, it just shows the average of the highs and lows.

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=14131

It is also an unreliable marker for anyone whose red blood cells do not live for the standard 120 or so days - either short lived or long lived. And how do we know how long our red blood cells live? We don't without extremely expensive special tests. So basically, we don't know if our HbA1c results are actually too low or too high.
I do find that the HbA1c test result tends to be more biased towards the latter 4 weeks or so in terms of "how you've been getting on". So you're exactly right @Bluetit1802 with regards to the shelf life of your blood cells and the glucose stuck to them.

Out of curiousity, is the HbA1c routine blood test less frequent for a T2 rather than a T1?

I often find the HbA1c is a bit of a medal round your neck in terms of control. The problem with that is that "any numpty" on insulin can have a cracking HbA1c if they're having chronic, recurring hypos. It's in no way an accurate measure of control, unless backed up by hundreds and hundreds of regular BG records.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used these in the past and have never had an error message. The test results are also +/-0.1% of my lab results. With each package I "calibrated" my assessment of accuracy by doing one of these on the same day I had my labs done.

They are still available in UK, and the listing still shows a Bayer box. All of mine have been Bayer kits, although I guess it's probably a year or so since I've used them.

http://www.millermedicalsupplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=a1c

I have bought one package (of 5) from Miller, and the rest (10 packs) from BHR Pharmaceuticals, but they don't seem to have it listed currently.

When I was trying to fine tune things, pre-Libre availability I used to do an A1c test each month.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For sure I wouldn't recommend this unless you weren't concerned about the cost. It might be good for someone newly diagnosed that wants to see changes in their HbA1c more frequently than 3 months. Like the lab HbA1c test, it's really just to confirm that you are managing your blood glucose levels as well as you can with regular strips or a CGM.

I also buy freestyle libre sensors once in a while, but I get my glucose meter strips for free. Since I virtually never eat carbs, none of that testing helps me management my blood glucose levels. In fact the free style libre has the opposite effect because I like to see what carious carby food does to my levels when I have a sensor going.
I'm looking forward to your comparison between your new gadget and the lab results @NoCrbs4Me. It'll be interesting to see how close they are.

I can understand the temptation to have a slice of white toast or a bag of chips just to get rid of the flat BG profile that a ULCHF T2 diabetic may have;) Are you in permanent ketosis just out of curiosity?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm looking forward to your comparison between your new gadget and the lab results @NoCrbs4Me. It'll be interesting to see how close they are.

I can understand the temptation to have a slice of white toast or a bag of chips just to get rid of the flat BG profile that a ULCHF T2 diabetic may have;) Are you in permanent ketosis just out of curiosity?
Probably mostly in ketosis, unless I experiment with some carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of curiousity, is the HbA1c routine blood test less frequent for a T2 rather than a T1?

On diagnosis we are supposed to have 3 monthly tests until the nurse is satisfied our levels aren't rising and our medication (if any) is OK. At that point we should move on to 6 monthly blood tests. Once our levels are pretty much normal or static at an decent level and our meds aren't causing problems, we move to 12 monthly tests. This is basically what NICE says. Not all surgeries follow this as well as they ought. I'm lucky. My surgery follows the care pathway exactly.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On diagnosis we are supposed to have 3 monthly tests until the nurse is satisfied our levels aren't rising and our medication (if any) is OK. At that point we should move on to 6 monthly blood tests. Once our levels are pretty much normal or static at an decent level and our meds aren't causing problems, we move to 12 monthly tests. This is basically what NICE says. Not all surgeries follow this as well as they ought. I'm lucky. My surgery follows the care pathway exactly.
I'm glad you have a good clinic. I'm also lucky that I have an excellent team looking out for me, it's a shame that we often hear on the forum that it's not the case for everyone...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably mostly in ketosis, unless I experiment with some carbs.
There's some serious stir over the past few years about the potential benefits of a ketosis diet. It interests me very much but unfortunately just doesn't work with my lifestyle...

I'm glad that it's working for you - as I see time and time again with fellow diabetics on here:)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Update: lab results from 19 April 2017 are back.

Lab: 6.0 %
A1CNow+: 6.0 %

Spot on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoCrbs4Me

I bought some of these way back when they came in batches of 2.
Think they worked out at £16 each
In those days, there was no temperature sensitive spot.

Like you, I followed the instructions and got 2 errors. Which left me spitting mad, cos that was both tests ruined.
Then I read the instructions with a magnifying glass, and noticed that there was (in miniscule writing somewhere obscure) a comment about storing the kit in a fridge, but letting it come up to room temperature before use. Since I hadn't done that, and now think that was the reason I got 2 x Error!

Always meant to buy some more, but the prospect of now having to buy them in 10s, and lose all that fridge space, for months, doesn't appeal.

I too like the idea of spending the money on Libre sensors, instead. ;)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, you definitely need to read the instructions carefully. I did and still managed to messed up two tests.

Fortunately for me, I have lots of fridge space (no veg cluttering it up) and can afford the A1cNow+ kit, as well as FreeStyle Libre sensors.

Unfortunately for me, when I have a FreeStyle Libre sensor running I'm far too tempted to try some carby junk food to see how my blood glucose levels react. It's very entertaining, but too much experimenting has raised my HbA1c from 5.7% to 6.0% in the last few months. Since I normally eat zero starchy/sugary food, I really have no need to run a FreeStyle Libre sensor. And since I can get lab HbA1c from the government every 3 months if I so desire, I have no need for the HbA1cNow+, either.

I think both the FreeStyle Libre and A1CNow+ kit would be great for someone newly diagnosed with type 2 who starts a low carb diet. They could immediately see how meals and other things affect their blood glucose levels using the Freestyle Libre and also track their HbA1c more often than every three months and get feed back on how well their new diet is working to lower their blood glucose.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I normally eat zero starchy/sugary food, I really have no need to run a FreeStyle Libre sensor
Could you not raise your bg by eating too much protein, or even too much sawdust, as Dr B claims?