Pump and sex

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
My friend and I are both using a pump. I have been using mine for 2months now and my friend has just started on hers. We had a discussion earlier on what to do with the pump during sex. We're both female and feel this is somewhat of a difficult question to ask a health care professional. Anyone got some advise to share?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to discuss this with your own HCP.....yet you feel OK discussing it with complete strangers on here.....??? :?

Anyway....
You might not like the idea of having something attached to you all the time. But most people get used to it. And you can disconnect the tube for short periods (for example, while you're having a shower, going swimming, getting dressed, or having sex.

It's usually OK to disconnect for about an hour, though you may need to take some extra insulin when you reconnect it again. So no marathon sessions then....... :D

I am sure we have others here who will also offer advice as I am not a pumper.

Ken

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
It's not really an embarrassment issue for me, it's more of a question I'd want to talk about it with someone who actually has experience with it. Although I realise HCP's during training with the pump are expected to wear it, it's not like they depend on it, so taking it off for a couple hrs is no issue in that circumstance.

I'm therefore appealing to anyone who has experience with it and maybe found a handy solution? I know there are longer tubes you can get and I also know you can take it off for up to an hour, but I can't be doing with clock watching and then when the hour is up having to stop and say, 'Sorry, hour is up', checking BM and reconnecting. Surely there is a more practical solution?
For ladies, I was thinking more like, hooking it onto a bra, assuming of course that you want to keep it on. I have enough trouble remembering to unclip it from my belt when I pull my jeans down to go the loo before I pull on it too hard.

Angelicus

Dislikes
Btw, completely unrelated, but just noticed you're from West MIds - I was there this weekend just gone. Stayed in Chipping Norton. Beautiful it was. The weather just made it better.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
West Midlands covers a massive area. Was really sunny here too. So sunny I borrowed young son's BM Convertible and blasted round with the top down half the day.....puts a grin back on yer face I can tell you !! :D Does nothing for the hair style though....... :lol:

Chipping Norton... as you say, a beautiful area......all that Cotswold Stone. Looks fabulous in the Sun.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Going back to your question........you could always keep a few bottles of Lucozade handy.....it has been suggested here before, just can't find the thread/post. Where there's a will.......there's always a way !

Good luck.

Ken.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't found the pump a problem sometimes disconnect, others don't, haven't yet had to stop to reconnect half way through (but there again getting old now!!), don't forget you're using carbs up and you can always test and do a bolus correction after if needs be. Just have fun!!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I haven't had to disconnect yet and frankly, I've hardly noticed I'm attached!! :wink: it's caused a couple of giggles as we've had to quickly shove the pump out of the way and then the tube got tangled but as soon as it did we were both aware, had a giggle and carried on! :lol: I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, give it a go and have fun practising :lol: :p 8)

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I managed to get pregnant wearing my pump so I guess that's my answer!!

Sometimes I take it off if things are moving slowly enough iykwim but if it is mad, spontaneous sex that you don't have time to think about, then I have left it on. Yeah it sometimes gets in the way but we have a laugh about it then chuck it out the way. If I do take it off, even without insulin for short while, I tend to go hypo after sex anyway!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
HI Angelica

Well thanks to you for making this post .... I am a newbie to this forum I must be honest, but for me having sex attached to "justin" as my pump is called (yeh I know cornie, but at least it has a name, rather than it!), anyway ... the thought for me of being attached to my pump during sex is well limiting to say the least! Yeh I could get longer leads and all that but thats one of the joys of being able to take it off when you're having fun ....

Plenty of people as you've seen Angelica have kept it on at this time, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, take it off, have fun and put it back on when you're ready, as long as its not 3 hours later?! Just give a bit more a bolus when you reconnect, it works for me, but then everyone is different.

Have fun!

Falinx

Hiya,

i've been on a pump for a few months now, plus using the CGM function and sex was a major issue for me as i'm in my mid 20s!
Luckily my boyfriend is very understanding, and doesnt find it a problem. Sometimes i stay attached with it in my bra, othertimes it gets unattached and thrown on the bed to be found later! If you dont let it be an issue, then it shouldnt be - just make sure it doesn't "get wet" haha! :)

odonnellp10

i am a male and i have a pump its been 4 years now.i have no problem with having sex with pump .i just disconnect and when i reattach it automaticly give me the insulin i missed and my endo told me i could disconnect up to 4 hours but if i feel bad put it back on.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I'm male.... i take my pump off when i have sex.... it's never been an issue.... given the exercise you need less insulin anyways :mrgreen:.

Slinger

i have disconnected each time having sex ranging from 1 hour upto 3.5 hours and never any problems. since im also a smoker (i know its naughty) and so is my wife
, after sex we want a smoke and we never smoke in the house except for a small room where the back door is, so whilst having a smoke i test my bm and treat as normal.

ste