1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pump cost comparison for private funding

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by tim2000s, Jul 1, 2015.

1. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As much as I know a pump would benefit me. I'd never in a million years qualify:

-No hospital admissions for hypoglycaemia,
    -Reasonable A1c
    -No complications

I still suffer the same highs and lows as every other type 1 diabetic, pay my NI, etc.

Pretty unfair that there's not a part funding option available. Would be better for those who are interested in further improving BGL but have the condition fairly well managed as to not meet the NICE eligibility criteria.

Grant

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Grant, have you checked the Input website? NICE are not the only guidelines. There's also the ABCD stuff on which far more people qualify. There's more here: http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

ABCD recommends that insulin pump therapy is also considered in the following situations:
    • Pregnancy
    • Acute painful neuropathy or symptomatic autonomic neuropathy if
    conventional treatment fails to enable adequate blood glucose control
    • Hypoglycaemia unawareness
    • Extreme insulin sensitivity
    • Needle phobia
    • Severe insulin resistance with poor blood glucose control
    (especially if type 2)
    • Specific quality of life issues:
    – Pathological fear of hypoglycaemia
    – Marked glycaemic excursions/dawn phenomenon
    – Excessive number of injections for optimised control
    – Impaired exercise capacity, abnormal eating behaviour or an unacceptable number of sick days
    – Shift work or frequent travel across time zones
    – In children: sub-optimal school performance, exclusion from aspects of a full school life; behavioural problems (for example, mealtimes); adverse impact on family dynamics

Mine was obtained on the grounds of marked glycaemic excursions/dawn phenomenon, with Glycaemic Variabilty stated as the cause, along with excessive number of injections.

3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you don't ask you don't get, I have all the qualifications you have for a pump and have been pumping for quite a few years now.

4. tim2000s

Staff Member

As @CarbsRok says. The first and foremost qualification for getting a pump is the fight you put in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. GrantGam

Yeah I'd definitely qualify for the excess of injections for good control and DP messing up that good control. That's for sure.

Thanks for providing that extra insight!

Grant

6. tim2000s

Staff Member

Then you can get going with a pump (and also low carb, but decent amounts of protein) and get traces that do this!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  7. GrantGam

@tim2000s, have you any idea of the costs for the Medtronic Paradigm Veo?

8. tim2000s

Staff Member

Which model?

9. GrantGam

I'd imagine the latest in the 5 series, it has the smaller reservoir?

I had a phone call with a Dr from my diabetic clinic yesterday, and we went over some aspects of pumps, etc. She said they normally issue the Paradigm Veo to adults. I never got an exact model number so I can't be certain, but I'd hazard a guess at the newest 5 series.

The reason I ask, is that an Animas pump (possible the Vibe model) is also offered, although typically allocated for pediatric use. Although the aim is to ultimately obtain NHS funding, knowing the private funding cost differences between the two would be handy should I be leaning towards a specific pump. The costs between NHS and private may be different, but at least I'd have a rough idea if one was significantly pricier than the other.

FYI, currently waiting on a response from Medtronic but just thought I'd see if you were aware:)

Cheers.

#69 GrantGam, Oct 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. tim2000s

Staff Member

I've never asked about the Veos. To be honest, I don't know if the NHS is offering them any more? THey certainly don't in our area. I imagine you'll be quoted similar to the 640G by Medtronic. Used ones can be bought online for anywhere between about £300 and £800. Current market value is on average about £600.

11. GrantGam

I guess I won't know for sure until I meet with the Dr in charge of pump therapy for my region. According to IPAG, it seems as though the Veo is still offered. Whether they are now superceded by the 640G, I'll just have to wait to find out. For now I can assume the consumables cost for the Veo will be there or there abouts the same as the 640G?

http://www.ipag.co.uk/pumps-available-in-scotland/

Thanks again.

12. tim2000s

Staff Member

They use the same consumables, so it will make no difference. If you go with a 1.8ml reservoir, it will cost more because the 3ml and 1.8ml reservoirs are the same price and I have no issues with using them for a week (which is safe and was proven in research years ago using the exact same reservoirs).

The Veo 554 is about 1cm smaller in length than the 754, but I'm not sure why you'd opt for one of those, given Smartguard in the 640G?

13. GrantGam

Is that a typo or am I missing something?

I genuinely don't even know if the 640G is offered in my region though. So it's not a case of dismissing the 640G. I was told that the Veo is the pump of choice for adults where I live.

I'm pretty sure the Veo is compatible with enlite sensors and supports smart guard?

14. tim2000s

Staff Member

For me, because I can get 6.5 days out of the 3ml reservoir, I use them at half the speed I use the 1.8s. As a result I use fewer of them. I ignore the guidance (from Medtronic) to replace the reservoir every three days as independent research has been done that proved that Novorapid remained stable in a pump reservoir safely for 10 days.

I therefore use fewer 3ml reservoirs, which cost the same as 1.8ml reservoirs, as I would 1.8ml reservoirs.

The "Smartguard" on the Veo is only "Suspend on low". On the 640G it's predictive so it suspends before you go low, and due to the algorithm it uses, it's pretty good with limiting lows across the board. It means you can be more aggressive on your meal boluses pretty safely. I wrote something about it here: http://www.diabettech.com/artificia...d-smartguard-into-the-glastonbury-2016-wilds/

15. GrantGam

Ah I see what you mean, thanks for clearing that up for me:)

That's pretty clever suspending before going low, it's a shame the Enlite sensors are fairly pricey.

Will be waiting patiently for my appointment with the regional director (I think that's his title); to see where we go next on this pump journey. Won't get my hopes up too much, but it's still exciting all the same.

Thanks for the input, @tim2000s.

16. asa35

asa35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@tim2000s , this is very useful information, thanks for your research. I realise this was last year, but as I'm trying to decide on a pump (my first one, so very confused with everything at the moment!!!), this is good for me. My pump will be funded through the NHS and I've narrowed my choices down to the Animas Vibe and the Medtronic 640G. I'm leaning a bit more towards the 640G because I prefer the layout better and the menus are easier to navigate (the Vibe layout does appear more old fashioned in the layout). My only issue is for the CGM costs: currently, Animas offer the Dexcom G4 starter pack @ £250.00 with replacement sensors @ £50.00 ea or £186 per 4 (not sure if they charge c&p). I can't seem to get an answer from Medtronic at the moment for their CGM costs, but from your details above, what are Monthly Consumables????
    Any help with this would be appreciated as I seem to be going around in circles at the moment and I need to make a decision asap for which pump I want.
    I do also currently use a Libre, and a possible option is to stick with this and manually enter data to the pump.
    Many thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook