Pump or not to pump

D

Deleted Account

I have been pumping for just over a year and it has certainly helped my BG control.
The value for me is the variability of the basal dose throughout the day rather than assuming you need the same amount when sleeping as you do when exercising.
However, @Vaper I notice you say you work different shifts. This is likely to mean that your "day" and "night" will change depending upon which shift you are on. I use the Animas Vibe pump which has only one daily regime. For me this can cause some challenges during the weekend when I may get up later, exercise more and go to bed later. So, if you are considering a pump, I would ask how they cope with changing shift patterns.

finn99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a pump (myLife OmniPod) for about 3 years and I definitely think it's an improvement on injecting, although there are some negatives. You don't need to take time out at all to inject and you can be much more flexible with what you eat, and activities due to the temporary basal rates you can use. However, pumps can be inconvenient if they come off at a bad time, or you react badly to the adhesive, as I have before. Probably the best thing for you would be the fact that you can change insulin delivery based on your shift hours, although not all pumps can do this. I do think that it would definitely be worth having a trial with pumps to see if it makes a difference.

Sponge12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have recently been confirmed type 1 after initially being diagnosed type 2, I have been forced off work by company doctor as my bg levels are too erratic for the last 4 months. Safety first on the railway. I'm seeing the hospital for my first appointment next week and I'm thinking I would like to move away from injections and on to a pump as I work both day and night shifts and would be able to keep in range easier and safer around the trains as I work at track level with the trains. Does anyone have experience of the pump or any advice please.
I have a pump and also work shifts. I find it much easier. Than pen. Wasn't easy at first. But now would not go back to pen. It's great.

Sponge12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been pumping for just over a year and it has certainly helped my BG control.
The value for me is the variability of the basal dose throughout the day rather than assuming you need the same amount when sleeping as you do when exercising.
However, @Vaper I notice you say you work different shifts. This is likely to mean that your "day" and "night" will change depending upon which shift you are on. I use the Animas Vibe pump which has only one daily regime. For me this can cause some challenges during the weekend when I may get up later, exercise more and go to bed later. So, if you are considering a pump, I would ask how they cope with changing shift patterns.
I have a animas vibe. And it has several different basal settings. I've adjusted mine. And it works fine for me..,