Pump sites!!

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I’ve just put my set in my arm for the first time ever! I really want it to work out as my stomach is fed up of needles now. I’ve had lunch and bloused and now my BG is 19.8 :arghh: I’ve even taken the needle out and checked - insulin is definitely coming out. I don’t understand why it’s not working

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quick update - BG is now at 17.5 so is coming down. The insulin must be absorbing but possibly slower? I have no idea as I was told (when on MDI) that it is quicker absorption in the arm:confused: - I may be wrong.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh @myarnton1 - sending hugs!

My tummy doesn't like sets on the right side, thanks to decades of injecting there as my 'favourite place!'

I've never tried my arm.

If you're looking for somewhere else, I can recommend the sides and back, from a little below your tummy button to perhaps just below the waistband of your trousers (I wear my jeans on my hips, mind, not my waist, so we're talking lower than the true waist).

I much prefer my sets there - basically on my spare tyre, although I'm slim so it's not even all that fleshy - than round the front.

Haven't ever tried arms and legs, but I guess that's a couple of places for the future!

:)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't see any significant difference in absorption throughout all the sites I use, which are upper thighs, stomach, bum and only once or twice, my upper arm.......

i would give your arm a chance....;)

Reactions: myarnton1

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Snapsy I needed that hug - haha. Yes stomach is my favourite place too so I’m trying to give it a rest for a little while.
Oh, I’ve never tried it there either, I want to I’m just a bit nervous that I put it in the wrong place.
Thanks for the advice x

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novorapidboi26 No, I haven’t seen a difference in different pump sites either. See - I try to be a good diabetic and look where it gets me:hilarious:. I’ve moved it to my thigh now, but I will try my arm again when I do a set change.
Thank you!

Reactions: novorapidboi26

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m similar to @Snapsy and use my ‘love handles’

May be a daft question but did you fully prime the pump and do your extra unit? It may be something as simple as that instead of it being the site it’s self.
I have tried my arms before and didn’t see a difference in blood levels. It was sore though in comparison to fatter areas!

Hope you feel better soon x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I’ve never used my arms so cannot comment - however I believe @himtoo has so tagging him for his input :)

Reactions: himtoo

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've never used arms either but do find that I have different basal rates for different sites. Maybe try experimenting with that. Either that or there may just be a smaller area there which does work. I have been using my bottom or lot but need to switch as it's starting to get less effective. I did half way up my back today on my side which was surprisingly comfortable and very effective.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @myarnton1
sorry you are having issues with stomach:(

I really prefer my arms as having been diabetic 45 years my arms are the place I have done the least amount of injections over the years
( so with a pump I know they haven't been overused at all )

ok -- they can be a bit more difficult to get a comfortable spot -- and yes -- they can be more prone to being bumped
I would persevere if you can.

BTW -- your baby is GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m so sorry I didn’t see these responses. Thank you all for your amazing advice as usual!
I will persevere with my arms, I’ve noticed they are more difficult to find a comfortable spot.
Thank you so much @himtoo! I will agree, she is beautiful:happy:

Reactions: himtoo

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found putting in line with underarm bit lower, better than outside as suggested. Have found that very little difference wherever I put eg high waist, and just below rib, of stomach ( If enough flesh of course)

Reactions: myarnton1

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I’ve just put my set in my arm for the first time ever! I really want it to work out as my stomach is fed up of needles now. I’ve had lunch and bloused and now my BG is 19.8 :arghh: I’ve even taken the needle out and checked - insulin is definitely coming out. I don’t understand why it’s not working

I have used my legs, stomach front and sides but the best efficient site has been my back, but I have two frozen shoulders but certainly the best sites, and comfortable too.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ooooh @Bud1979 how high up on your back?

Mid back and not too far in, as I mentioned I’ve got two frozen shoulders so my movement is very restricted, easier on the right side ( of my back ) but my front right side is useless or is that just me ?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mid back and not too far in, as I mentioned I’ve got two frozen shoulders so my movement is very restricted, easier on the right side ( of my back ) but my front right side is useless or is that just me ?
Cool - thanks for your reply! My own front right side is also completely useless - being left-handed that was always my favourite, easiest-to-reach spot for my decades of injections! Like you I prefer round the back, and I always go for quite low down.
:)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see any significant difference in absorption throughout all the sites I use, which are upper thighs, stomach, bum and only once or twice, my upper arm.......

i would give your arm a chance....;)

Hi mate

Can you please message me privately?
I would like to ask some questions and for help and advice.

Cheers

Andrew