Pump stopped working

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, this evening Medtronic pump started to alarm and completely stopped. Being a Friday evening, I can't get advice from my DSN. I keep pens as a back up, after being on a pump for 4+years, I'm struggling to remember the basal amount. I have been giving myself small injections, BG now at 19. Has this happened to you.

Reactions: deborabaratto

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi ann !!!!!!!

yaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! shrieking out loud on your behalf

ok serious info

take your total basal rate on your pump and multiply x 1.2 -- this will be hopefully pretty close to what you were on when on MDI

( this is meant to be your basal insulin dose -- not a bolus insulin dose -- if that makes sense )

PM me if you want to talk it through further

xxxxx

Reactions: GrantGam

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sorry for not asking you first -- I have moved your thread to the insulin pump forum ---there is a fair bit of urgency in your thread / request !!

and anyone on a pump may view this forum first !!

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks himtoo, the pump is completely unresponsive. I have managed to find an old basal setting from an old spreadsheet. It's 15, although I think the DSN, increased it slightly. Medtronic are hopefully getting a pump to me tomorrow, although not the 640, that will be delivered later in the week. I've injected so far 14 units of Lantus, but if I remember rightly, Lantus is slow acting. I also injected 7 units of Humalog to cover my meal. It feels strange after the pump. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
it is the weirdest feeling -- I totally get it !!!!!!

you have done your lantus so that is it for tonight

my sorry and tired old advice :D--- keep testing every 2 hours throughout the night and correct as per your own set of sensibility and targets ( sorry -- not much sleep tonight )

yes -- lantus is your slow acting !!!!!!!

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey! That happened to me just a few weeks ago - I had to start Toujeo (Glargin), and my doctor advised me to take what I see to as total daily insulin (I used to take 12 as basal and 2 as bolus, so I started with 14). But I had to adjust, now I'm taking 22.
Which basal insulin do you have?

Reactions: himtoo

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi deborabaratto, I have Lantus (Glargine) as a back up. Myself and hubby have just done a short walk and BG now 9.9. I will have to keep checking overnight. Crazy for years was on MDI, but now I can't get my head around it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
totally agree with you @Ann48
I had a mini pump meltdown yesterday evening ( my PDM ) stopped working , my omnipod pump alarmed and I was left with no insulin at all for about 45 minutes

called the omnipod peeps and they helped me reset my PDM -- and was back pumping soon after -- but I had the fright of my life thinking what am I going to do ????

I have written out a worksheet of "things to do " for the future !!!!!

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hi deborabaratto, I have Lantus (Glargine) as a back up. Myself and hubby have just done a short walk and BG now 9.9. I will have to keep checking overnight. Crazy for years was on MDI, but now I can't get my head around it.
I see. Im so sorry this is happening to you!

But try to stay calm, at least you have a back up insulin! If your blood sugars haven't come with fast acting insulin in 2 hours, it might be good to take another small shoot, because Lantus will start acting only 6-7 hours after the first dose, so you can be uncovered for some while.

As I live in Brazil, and it's 21:00 now, I'll be up for a while, so if you need help with anything, I'll be here :)

Sending lots of good energy to you!!

Reactions: bobcurly and himtoo

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Medtronic were very helpful, we tried to reset, I did an aqua aerobics class on Wednesday and I think water may have got in. The pump is completely waterproof,so shouldn't have been a problem.its been working since then, until this evening.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
:(( I hope they change as soon as possible! Mine got bugged at the beginning of the month and they still haven't changed it (mine is Accu Chek)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Ann48 this happened to my 640g last year mine had a meltdown - I called the Medtronic team and we did a reset which involved taking the battery out and waiting for it to power down and it worked fine afterwards, they are pretty quick to replace next day though so hope you get this sorted today - keep us posted on how you get on ?

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Juicyj,

Pump won't reset, Medtronic are sending the Veo 554 today,as the 640 is unavailable till the end of next week. Checked BG in the night it was 14.9, this morning 12.7. I think it was the time it took for Lantus to kick in.
Thanks for your feedback.