Question about any pump / specifically omni pump

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello.

I am new to the whole pump side of diabetes and was just wondering if anyone who has used them if they are more useful/stressful than manually injecting insulin.

I have been recommended to have the omni pump as my blood sugars when I wake up every morning range from 15-20mmol which has caused pins and needles and numbness in my foot (more explained here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pins-and-needles-and-high-blood-sugars.124543/)

Anyhow the questions I have is.

Do you get used to feeling comfortable wearing one? -as i work in retail and I fear people asking me the question of what it is a million times a day and it getting me down.

Is it easy to use or is it stressful?

Does it help with hbac1?

Does it improve morning sugars from being high?

Most importantly does it hurt?

is it worth it?

If i have any more questions I will post them below.

Appreciate any answers.
Thankyou

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Coreylewis21 :)

You get used to wearing a pump very quickly and don't even notice it.

It's easy to use - it's just another insulun delivery system. The basics are pretty simple.

It can help with HbA1C and it can smooth sugars out even if it doesn't (same HbA1C but less highs and lows)

YES! It's fantastic for high morning sugars! You can set the basal rate to cover those exactly as you need. It's a major benefit of a pump :)

No, it doesn't hurt.mi don't feel my pump at all.

Is it worth it? Well, I think so - definitely! My pump changed my life and I love it! Ive had a pump 13 years. My current pump is an Animas Vibe :)

Tagging @noblehead and @himtoo as they use the Omnipod.

Reactions: Gemma2

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Coreylewis21,

I used to have the Omnipod although I'm now on a tubed pump.

My diabetes team persuaded me to try Omnipod as they thought it would help me and it really did!!

I was terrified at the idea of a pump. I thought everyone would be able to see it and make comments etc. but honestly no-one knew unless I made a point of telling them/showing pod through my clothes.

After a few days, it became part of my life and I barely noticed it ie feel it on you. It doesn't hurt (apart from very occasionally when cannula goes in...strangely found this reassuring as knew cannula had gone in properly!) and the Omnipod is tubeless with a remote control so you can give yourself insulin discreetly without anyone knowing what you're doing.

It improved my hbA1c and, looking back before I started pump, has definitely given me a much better quality of life.

I think you should definitely go for it and hope it helps you. You must always carry your pens as back up. My consultant said if I hated it, I could go back to my pens...In less than a week I wished I had not been so stubborn and agreed to them starting me on a pump earlier as they had wanted.

Best of luck :)

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hi and welcome.

Sorry about the pins and needles. It could be that whatever issue is causing that can be causing the high blood sugars. It doesn't have to be, it's just a suggestion.

Regarding the pump... I was on injections for 12 years (approx) before I was able to get the pump. I fought tooth and nail to get it and can certainly say it has made my life much easier!!! I LOVE the pump in comparison to injections!

My pump is old, (I'm due for a new one) so it's not particularly comfortable as I've long lost the clip to attach it to my waist band. I love putting it in my jeans pocket though - it's comfy all right there. I don't have experience with the omnipod, but I do understand there's no wiring with that.

I find it easy to use and certainly less stressful than injections. It takes a little to get used to it, but after that - it's just part of my life, part of me, and I'm grateful to have it on me all the time so I can bolus any time, any place without much hassle.

Regarding morning highs - because you have the option of setting your basal rates at an hourly rate, you can make your basal rates as high as you need them, for the times you need it. Many people have higher rates in the early morning. It's not just a flat rate to last 12 hours so you have the flexibility to adjust as your body needs.

With regard to HbA1c - many people say it helps them. I've struggled to get my diabetes in control. I've had issues with taking my insulin too, so for me, personally, the pump offers me flexibility and simplicity but it didn't cure my emotional problems. I'm working on lowering my A1c now, after 8 years of pumping.

I still dislike inserting my site, still get nervous each time, but it hurts way less than when I was on multiple injections and had to take insulin so many times each day.

With regard to your job - either you can place it in a place that you cover up, so nobody sees it. Or, you can joke about it. I wear the Dexcom CGM on my arm and when people ask what it is, I tell them it's my experimental wifi hotspot using my body's heat for energy. You may be surprised at how many people have believed me. I have compiled responses and will post it on my blog.

Is it worth it? For me, it sure is. I'm one happy pumper.

But everyone is different.

Coreylewis21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@azure @mariposa84 @Just_Me_Rachel

Thankyou all for your responses, I think I can relate to you all on how you felt and I am pretty nervous too, I have always been put off the thought of wires everywhere and for the last question as you have wires on your pump does it affect you to sleep?, because it's what has always put me off like a medium size thing attached to me i'd feel i'd find it impossible to sleep in certain ways or i'd feel i'd always catch it on something??

also Rachel the wifi hotspot made me lol, gonna use that in the future if I get one haha.

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Coreylewis21 I'm extremely clumsy and I don't find the pump a problem at all. Mine has tubing but I just tuck it away and it never causes me any issues. At night I don't even notice it. I clip the pump to my PJs or wear it in a waistband or sometimes just drop it beside me and I don't have any problems.

The tubing is very thin and comes in a variety of lengths to suit. Also, if you have the Omnipod that doesn't have tubing.

The pump doesn't affect my sleep. It moves with me and is small and comfortable even if I lie on it :)

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Thanks Corey ;)

I clip my pump to my waistband using an old, battered pump pocket. It's clumsy, so I don't love it, but soon as I get my new pump it will be better. Agreed with Azure - the omnipod has no wiring and depending on where you place it you may not feel it.

I just got used to it, even with my old clumsy pump pocket. I'm careful where I turn in the night with the Dexcom, but usually worst that happens is I get a compression low.

It's not a big deal and it's certainly better than injections for me!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there Corey !!
I have had the omnipod for nearly 2 years now -- and it is the best thing ever for me-- I don't notice it -- and nobody else does unless I show it to them on purpose.

as for control -- it has helped me eliminate my dawn phenomenon ( rapidly rising BG at waking up time )
I have less hypos and bolusing in public is the same as other people on their mobile phones -- people just think I am texting

my Hba1c has been steady at 6.4-6.5% since pumping

it is hard work though -- lots of testing and carb counting needs to be accurate ( all your settinfgs and carb ratios are pre- set into the pump so it does all the bolus calculating for you -- which is why we need to know our carb count accurately

definitely worth investigating !!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Coreylewis21

Is it easy to use or is it stressful?

No not stressful, quite the opposite in fact compared to injections.

Does it help with hbac1?

Undoubtedly it will, your waking bg levels of 15-20 will be history once you start on a pump, you can adjust the basal rate to deal with the DP.

Does it improve morning sugars from being high?

As above, if you wake on good bg levels you can better manage your levels throughout the morning.

Most importantly does it hurt?

The pump has an automated cannula insertion, most of the time you don't feel anything but sometimes you do feel it, but I wouldn't say it's painful.

is it worth it?

Absolutely YES, pumps are not for everyone but very few people hand them back and return to MDI. Good luck.

Reactions: himtoo