1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Question about Dads driving

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Lulu9101112, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No the main problem is my dad lives in the Netherlands and I don't have any contacts of my dutch family. (e.g step mum, dutch grandparents etc...) plus I don't know the dutch police and don't live in the Netherlands. So as I said what's point of telling as since my dads got rental car his licence plate will just change next time he visits uk? and he's leaving sunday. It's not like police would deal with it in one day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

What does your step-mum think about it @Lulu9101112 ? You mentioned you were worried about your very young half-brother. Could your step-mum say something?

• Like Like x 1
  3. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When he leaves on Sunday, tell him not to return to the UK until he learns to drive without touching his mobile phone! Seriously, you need to tell him you don't want to see him if he drives with his mobile a distraction and that hopefully you won't have to report him to the police next time, because that is what you'll do..............right? Ask him for your half brother mothers contact details so you can check up on him.

As a father myself, if my kid turned around to me and said that, that would be a big wake up call and I'd know I've been an complete idiot and stop immediately, no if's buts or questions.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here's a link for the Dutch police.

It took only two minutes to find that info.

You need to grab his mobile phone and throw it out of the window if he starts texting.

Remember if you are with your "father" while he is texting you could be charged with Aiding and Abetting if he gets caught texting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seriously

Seriously · Guest

Aiding and abetting?

Edited by moderator to remove insulting remarks to another member.

#45 Seriously, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  6. Lulu9101112

All I thought that can happen if the driver gets caught texting/using mobile is £200 and 6 points on license= license taken away.
    What's aiding and abetting? Also as I said I don't know my dad car/number plate in Netherlands?

7. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tipetoo

Condoning a offence.

In Australia if you get into a car knowingly with a drunk driver who is over the limit of .05, then you are condoning a offence and are just as likely to get demerit points taken off your licence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lulu9101112

Well that's Australia.
    Drink Driving is different to using mobile whilst driving as well.
    I'm in UK. (Plus I'm 18 and don't have licence yet)

10. Tipetoo

Not if you kill someone while doing either one, or both at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, how about writing him a letter and sneaking it into his luggage so he finds it when he returns to the Netherlands or in his hand luggage? Write down the most important reasons and say how much it is troubling you and why. Include how much it would affect the whole family especially you and your step brother if he caused an accident and hurt another family whilst texting, include a couple of family pics. Tell him how much he means to you and how much you are looking forward to seeing him in a few months but find it hard when this is upsetting you so much.
    You are young and he should be the responsible adult. When you learn to drive in the next few years you can do your bit to be the best driver you can and be proud of it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Seriously

Seriously · Guest

Do you have one example of 'aiding and abetting' while using a mobile phone?

Anywhere in the world would do.

Edited by moderator to remove disparaging remarks

#52 Seriously, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  13. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager I was done for aiding and abetting a guy who drove without insurance.
    I was fourteen and was asked did I know he had no insurance.
    Being 14 I naively answered yes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Oddly enough.. If you got your provisional & went out driving under instruction/supervision with your dad & he was using his device? He's liable to the same points & fine..
    In this senario the safest thing you can do as a driver is find a safe place to pull over & park, then switch off the engine..

Here's where I Doug it up.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/breaking-the-law-without-realising/

15. Lulu9101112

I know but I don't even have a provisional. I know as my older brother has provisional and you can't even use or touch a phone whilst supervising a learner driving.

16. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Speaking to your step-mum or another relative is good. The idea of a letter is good too.

You don't need your dad's registration number to inform the police in the Netherlands. His name and address might be enough.

Using a mobile while driving is as bad as drink driving, and it should be seen that way.

You've had a lot of helpful suggestions here so one or more of them must be suitable for you to try. You're an adult - don't be afraid to politely speak to your dad.

For me, it's not so much about the law, it's more about the fact that your dad and others like him are putting other road users at risk. You know he's doing this so you have an opportunity to speak up and hopefully stop him and protect not just yourself and your half brother but other adults and children who might be in his path.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan Prediabetes · Legend

Refuse to go in the car when he's driving..... texting is worse than calling. He probably thinks it's OK to text at the lights but as long as the key is in the ignition and the engine is running it's illegal. Why don't you print out the rules and leave them on the table....
    Odd times I've done it if my lights have just gone red cos I know there are three more lots of traffic to go before mine change again.
    Police are too understaffed and underfunded to worry about a driver texting at the lights.....

Just happy being me

18. Sable_Jan

What's the rental car got to do with it?

Just happy being me

19. Lulu9101112

Update: Guess he learnt as he doesn't do it anymore. Well.i don't know if he does in holland (but I don't think he has as he's been using his bike more as step brother is just learning to ride :p but when he comes over he doesn''t anymore

20. Sable_Jan

Never assume.... my friend's son was almost killed and his fiancee & unborn child died in an incident of a car veering over in front of him from opposite side. The poor man had had a heart attack and was probably dead before he crossed the centre line....

And foreigners DO get confused. It doesn't matter what you KNOW ... there may be many years of driving on the opposite side to us and sometimes autopilot moments happen....

But that's getting off the subject....or actually, maybe it's not....it just serves to show your Dad should always be alert, not texting

Just happy being me

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook