Question about Metformin

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hello everyone.

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes at the beginning of December following the two hour fasting test.

I suspect I have also PCOS due to symptoms I have (the GP agreed) and have been put on Metformin 500mg x 1 per day.

I've no idea what my readings were or are, I don't think it was anything severe as the GP mentioned maybe coming off Metfotmin one day but I really do have to work on losing weight and better diet,

I've noticed most people on metformin are instructed to up their dosage every so often until they're on 3 or 4 tablets a day. I have only ever been told to take one (with breakfast) at my initial appointment when I was diagnosed and that's been it.

Is it heard of to only need 1x metformin per day long term or should i have had my Doseage upped?

I did have an appointment booked with the diabetic nurse before Xmas but it was cancelled as she unexpected left the practice.

I was just wondering if it's the norm to be on just one metformin for this long ?

Thanks in advance.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never taken Metformin, but I do believe plenty of people here have a low dose. Others will be along, but can you tell us how many mg the one tablet is?

Also, I urge you to contact your surgery and ask for a print out of your blood test results. You really need to know what these were, which tests you had altogether, and what your levels were. You need to know how you stand now, and how much you have to do to lower them. You are entitled to these.

Meanwhile, I'll tag @daisy1 to post her very useful information for newcomers.

Reactions: Melbel and Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a
hello everyone.

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes at the beginning of December following the two hour fasting test.

I suspect I have also PCOS due to symptoms I have (the GP agreed) and have been put on Metformin 500mg x 1 per day.

I've no idea what my readings were or are, I don't think it was anything severe as the GP mentioned maybe coming off Metfotmin one day but I really do have to work on losing weight and better diet,

I've noticed most people on metformin are instructed to up their dosage every so often until they're on 3 or 4 tablets a day. I have only ever been told to take one (with breakfast) at my initial appointment when I was diagnosed and that's been it.

Is it heard of to only need 1x metformin per day long term or should i have had my Doseage upped?

I did have an appointment booked with the diabetic nurse before Xmas but it was cancelled as she unexpected left the practice.

I was just wondering if it's the norm to be on just one metformin for this long ?

Thanks in advance.

I don´t know about GB but here in Denmark everyone on metformin starts with a lower dose like 500mg and then they see how well your body accepts it and it also makes it easier to the stomach to take, a lot of people has a rather loose stomach in the beginning like the first 14 days.
I did experience that it was much easier to loose weight after I came on metformin, and as I did start very soon thereafter to eat low carb or lower carb, in the beginning lower fats too and low calorie, the weight has gone down rather easily and very steady..
Not all can go down to 1000 calories a day, but then one could maybe go 1800 calories and still most would loose weight on that amount a day.

I´ll tag @daisy so you´ll get the rather good information every one new gets in here , and there is a link to a free low carb course you can follow on-line for free... I will recomend you that and tell you that that is the easiest way to loose weight I have tried in my life.. make a commitment to yourself and be steady in your aproach and you´ll succeed sooner than you would have thought I hope.
I seems that people on very low carb has a more easier job keeping their lost weight off than on most other diets , wish you all the best of luck and stay in this forum it is a great source or help and support and comfort when times are hard to the individual, which it is to most of us at times <3

MAMA2X

It is normal to start on one then up the dose after a week and then again if necessary. I would contact your GP and ask for an appointment to be sure. Metformin can be troublesome drug for many people and that is the reason for a low dose start so you get used to it gradually

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is normal to start on one then up the dose after a week and then again if necessary. I would contact your GP and ask for an appointment to be sure. Metformin can be troublesome drug for many people and that is the reason for a low dose start so you get used to it gradually

I think the dosage depends on the severity of the blood glucose levels. Not everyone has more than one tablet. I didn't have any!

Reactions: Liam1955

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I think the dose depends on where your numbers are at. I'm on the same dose and was prescribed it in October which was just over three months since diagnosis. The nurse told me they had decided to put me on it because my HbA1c number had gone up and to take it for three months and then they will review after another blood test. I did not take the new number down at the time as I was a little taken aback by the nurses apparent disappointment that there had been no improvement and did I know why. I'm back in two weeks and will make sure I get the latest and previous test results so I know where I am.

The good thing though is this low dose hasn't given me the problems a lot of people have had on Metformin so I'm grateful for that.

Reactions: Melbel and Freema

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will find out what my levels were, I think I was too scared to face it at first, now I'm getting my head round it all and want to know the ins & outs.

My GP is a little blasé, she said not to worry about it and look at it as a good thing (as in changing my lifestyle and losing weight)

There was talk of not even being sure to put me on medication to begin with but then it was decided they would after the two hour fasting test.

I have been dieting since November (mainly low carb base dieting) and exercising regularly (swam 70 lengths today) and I'm losing weight.. In fact I feel the best I have in a while.

It was just the 1x metformin thing that has started playing on my mind as it seems the norm to up them.

I think I'd better make an appointment with the GP again or see if they've replaced the diabetic nurse yet.

This forum is great! I'm so glad I joined.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet alone ought to be the initial step, but maybe it was thought you could benefit from a bit of extra assistance right away.

2g is considered the maximum dose these days, but it isn't by any means the most frequent let alone the starting dose.

Reactions: Melbel

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The Metformin should also help with the PCOS and weight loss.

It sounds like your diagnostic levels weren't too bad if they considered no medication initially.

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jay-Marc that makes sense.. When I asked what metformin do she said. 'They are just to help your body tolerate sugars a bit better'

None of it seemed that serious or panic stations at the time, it felt more like a warning to lose weight and here's some tablets to help.

It's only because my mum is diabetic I know a little about it and have started reading up more.

Reactions: Freema

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It used to be far more common to push people onto the maximum Metformin dose right away, which possibly was your mother's experience. The point about it also being beneficial for PCOS in particular is also important.

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bluetit, I really hope so. I had my bloods taken for a lot of things including my hormones which they say came back normal readings. The confusing part is I have been told I may have a touch of PCOS and i definitely have symptoms so I don't know how my hormones came back normal.

I really need to get the print out of all the blood tests I had done and check the levels.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit, I really hope so. I had my bloods taken for a lot of things including my hormones which they say came back normal readings. The confusing part is I have been told I may have a touch of PCOS and i definitely have symptoms so I don't know how my hormones came back normal.

I really need to get the print out of all the blood tests I had done and check the levels.

Yes, you do. You need all the results - glucose, HbA1c, hormones, cholesterol and lipids, vitamins, whatever else they did. You can then check for yourself if they are normal. What happens is the labs highlight any result that is outside the normal range, and this is what the doctor looks at. What the doctor doesn't look at are the ones within normal range - which could be very borderline. I never accept a GP/nurse saying they are "fine" or "normal". I need to know for myself.

Reactions: Melbel and Liam1955

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bluetit - i have a B12 deficiency which was diagnosed 2 years ago.. They said that was borderline but I was suffering severe symptoms from that.. The whole of my left side went numb. I'm on regular injections for that and it's under control now but that was another borderline that needed picking up on fast.

I'm going to contact tomorrow and ask for a printout of my recent blood test. Should make interesting reading!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit - i have a B12 deficiency which was diagnosed 2 years ago.. They said that was borderline but I was suffering severe symptoms from that.. The whole of my left side went numb. I'm on regular injections for that and it's under control now but that was another borderline that needed picking up on fast.

I'm going to contact tomorrow and ask for a printout of my recent blood test. Should make interesting reading!

Be aware that Metformin can reduce B12 levels in some people. You need to keep an eye on that, but I assume with regular injections you will be getting regular checks.

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah I didn't know that either.. Blimey it's a mine field.

I've been burying my head in the sand with everything, it's time to start finding out where I stand with my health.

I'll be back to update on how I get on.

I can't thank you all enough for your help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ah I didn't know that either.. Blimey it's a mine field.

I've been burying my head in the sand with everything, it's time to start finding out where I stand with my health.

I'll be back to update on how I get on.

I can't thank you all enough for your help.
I was on one tablet of metformin for pcos years before diabetes was mentioned to me.
My signature will tell you more but metformin allowed me and, many others to conceive healthy babies.
I use metformin successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melbel and Freema

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Melbel

Hello Melbel and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hoe you will find this useful. It contains amongst other things advice on carbs and levels and includes a link to the Low Carb Program (mentioned above) which you might like to try. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

All excellent advice above :)

Pls pop back and tell us when you know your text results. Doctors can sometimes b very economical with vital information!

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone.

Daisy, thanks so much for that information, it's really helpful.

Brunneria - I just got off the phone to my doctors surgery and they are printing off all the blood test results that I had done in October. They will be ready for collection later today.

I'll be back when I've got them.

Thanks again everyone :)