Quick question re coconut milk!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Does anyone have any info on coconut milk and effect on blood sugar please? I have been avoiding it so far but keep coming accross nice recipes which use it!

Thank you.

Katharine

I've used coconut milk in Sharron Longs Key Lime Pie (a lot) and a Mary Dan Eades Salmon with spicy topping thing (x 2).

No rises in blood sugar.

Have fun and let us know what you made and liked.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Katherine, that's what I wanted to hear! I'm going to try out a thai soup recipe - if it's any good I'll post it :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey jessie, I use it at least once a week to make thai curries and stuff. Very low in carbs (about 4g per 100ml) so it shouldn't have too much impact on the blood sugars.

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I hate cocnut! :evil:

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
mmmmmmmmm curry thats me sorted friday then :D :D :D

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a feeling I'm going to be eating lots of Thai food then as I love coconut and curry!

Reactions: lorraine95

Trinkwasser

jessie said:
I have a feeling I'm going to be eating lots of Thai food then as I love coconut and curry!

It has a cooling effect so you can use hordes of very hot chillies and add coconut milk for an interesting combination of opposing factors.

Yes Thai cooking has some excellent combinations and as long as you avoid the inevitable rice you can find some very useful meals

http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/junthai.htm

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I use it a lot. Really nice as a milk sub in a smoothie. No blood sugar rise at all. All good I think. I buy mine in Lidl.