quotations about exercise and supplements

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
In my condition can I use buddy building supplements .. like creatine, whey protein?

Also can I do resistance exercise?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my condition can I use buddy building supplements .. like creatine, whey protein?

Also can I do resistance exercise?
I don't see why not. As far as I understand, episodes of hypoglycemia - relative to your condition - are usually seen after consuming large quantities of carbs. There are varieties of whey protein that contain zero carbs, so I shouldn't see any issues there.

Creatine may cause you some issues if the mix contains carbs. I believe there is creatine monohydrate which is carb free and should therefore not negatively impact your BG.

Regarding exercise, again I wouldn't suspect that any form of exercise should cause you problems. But you'll know best yourself.

Hopefully some of our RH members can give you first hand guidance on the matter though:)

Reactions: Ayed447_

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I don't see why not. As far as I understand, episodes of hypoglycemia - relative to your condition - are usually seen after consuming large quantities of carbs. There are varieties of whey protein that contain zero carbs, so I shouldn't see any issues there.

Creatine may cause you some issues if the mix contains carbs. I believe there is creatine monohydrate which is carb free and should therefore not negatively impact your BG.

Regarding exercise, again I wouldn't suspect that any form of exercise should cause you problems. But you'll know best yourself.

Hopefully some of our RH members can give you first hand guidance on the matter though:)

Thanks for your reply..

Excuse me for my ignorance but someone said that
Pure protein like in whey protein it can causes insulin spike !?

Thanks again

Mark_1

Whey protein can cause an insulin spike that's why it's taken after exercise, to help shuttle nutrients into the muscles. It's more marketing hype though it doesn't have that much effect. I good diet and lifting progressively heavier weights over time in the big exercises is what builds muscle. Think squats deadlifts presses rows.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply..

Excuse me for my ignorance but someone said that
Pure protein like in whey protein it can causes insulin spike !?

Thanks again
I'm afraid I can't answer that, I'm type 1 so the way post exercise protein impacts me is probably much different to you.

If you were to find that post exercise protein caused an Insulin spike, then maybe combining that with some simple carbs might help?

Last edited:

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Whey protein can cause an insulin spike that's why it's taken after exercise, to help shuttle nutrients into the muscles. It's more marketing hype though it doesn't have that much effect. I good diet and lifting progressively heavier weights over time in the big exercises is what builds muscle. Think squats deadlifts presses rows.

So . Can I take whey protein?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only you can answer that, it is your body...

As someone with RH; your main concern is low BG. If that low BG comes about only after eating a carb heavy meal, then (in theory) protein shouldn't affect you.

If you ate a steak (by itself) and didn't have a hypo afterwards then you will likely be fine with zero carb whey protein. The amounts of protein in both a typical steak and serving of protein are around the same 50-60g.

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

As someone with RH; your main concern is low BG. If that low BG comes about only after eating a carb heavy meal, then (in theory) protein shouldn't affect you.

If you ate a steak (by itself) and didn't have a hypo afterwards then you will likely be fine with zero carb whey protein. The amounts of protein in both a typical steak and serving of protein are around the same 50-60g.

I'll try and test

Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As others have said only you will know by testing.
Exercise is a funny one because we just don't know how our liver reacts to how much physical exercise our bodies can do without a liver dump.
If exercise is gentle then our liver responds as such, like walking, swimming, gentle gym work and weights. Strenuous exercise needs constant supply of energy and from our bodies particularly the liver converts into energy (glucose), this may cause a hyper, which could mean a hypo. Not what is recommended.

Yes low BG is paramount, but anything concentrated is something I personally would avoid, too much protein is still creating an uneven balance in how to keep your BG constant, which is what RH ers need to do. A balanced diet is preferable to us but very low carb tho. Getting that balance right for each of us is how our health improves and our symptoms go away.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't see why not. As far as I understand, episodes of hypoglycemia - relative to your condition - are usually seen after consuming large quantities of carbs.

Just to correct your answer, mate, but even low carb, can cause problems.
Evidently, even though it should be impossible or improbable, we are in a sense, intolerant to carbs. We have to avoid them to offset the pancreas creating too much insulin!
But thanks for answering.
Best wishes.

Mark_1

I wouldn't bother. The weight gain people experience from taking whey is more down to the added calories. I'd spend the money on some nice juicy steaks and a big bag of chicken. If your taking it for convenience reasons then try it and test but it's likely to spike you due to the speed it gets digested.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to correct your answer, mate, but even low carb, can cause problems.
Evidently, even though it should be impossible or improbable, we are in a sense, intolerant to carbs. We have to avoid them to offset the pancreas creating too much insulin!
But thanks for answering.
Best wishes.
Thanks for correcting my post @Lamont D. I don't have any experience of RH, obviously, I just robbed the info from the diabetes.co.uk site.

It may be worth seeing if it can be changed considering that it's not entirely correct?:)

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for correcting my post @Lamont D. I don't have any experience of RH, obviously, I just robbed the info from the diabetes.co.uk site.

It may be worth seeing if it can be changed considering that it's not entirely correct?:)

I have asked a few times.
The problem is of course, that a few hypoglycaemic patients can tolerate some carbs, just like some T2s.
Then there is T2s with RH, that have no tolerance to carbs!

There is no definitive answer. But erring on the side of caution to reduce carbs a lot.

lindisfel

Expert
If steak was dried and ground up to a powder one would imagine it will be digested quicker than steak that has the muscle fibres still intact although slightly cooked! I don't think protein A, equals protein B. Derek

Zahidkhan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using whey isolate after workout from almost a year and it worked good for me having RH from 12 years and i am 30 now. En plus Creatine and BCCA which inspent alot of money on is constant source of triggering the effects. So is glutamine. I think whey isolate works fine.