Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
no idea if this is a load of tabloid rubbish, but it looks good huh :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Every little helps and T2 is ever increasing, no matter the reason. If it will help sufferers lets have it as soon as.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be a wonder drug for some patients, but don't think it's licensed for Type 1s in the UK, though seem to recall Dr Bernstein saying he uses it in special cases for overweight Type 1s though my memory may be wrong.

There are all sorts of conditions, especially kidney disease, where the drug is contraindicated.

This review contains a lot more information about it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3875253/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the Rxisk Org website:

Warnings & Pharmacology – Warnings, General
CONTRAINDICATIONS:
History of serious hypersensitivity to canagliflozin, severe renal impairment (eGFR less than 30 mL/min/1.73 m2), end stage renal disease, patients on dialysis, patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus, treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis

WARNINGS/PRECAUTIONS:
CARDIOVASCULAR:
Hypotension:
-Canagliflozin causes intravascular volume contraction
-Symptomatic hypotension can occur in patients with impaired renal function, elderly, patients on diuretics or medication interfering with renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, patients with low systolic blood pressure
Recommendations:
-Assess and correct volume status
-Monitor for intravascular volume contraction

ENDOCRINE:
Hypoglycemia with Concomitant Use with Insulin and Insulin Secretagogues:
-Canagliflozin can increase risk of hypoglycemia when combined with insulin or insulin secretagogues.
Recommendation:
-A lower dose of insulin or insulin secretagogue may be required

GENITOURINARY:
Genital Mycotic Infections:
-Canaglifozin increases the risk of genital mycotic infections specifically in patients with a history of these infections and uncircumcised males
Recommendations:
-Monitor and treat with oral or topical antifungal and anti-microbial agents as deemed appropriate

HYPERSENSITIVITY:
-Some serious hypersensitivity reactions were reported, generally occurring within hours to days of starting treatment
Recommendations:
-If hypersensitivity occurs, discontinue treatment, treat appropriately, monitor until signs and symptoms resolve

INCREASES IN LOW-DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN (LDL-C):
-Dose-related increases in LDL-C can occur
Recommendation:
-Monitor LDL-C and treat appropriately after starting treatment

METABOLIC:
Hyperkalemia:
-Canagliflozin can lead to hyperkalemia particularly in patients with moderate renal impairment taking medications that interfere with potassium excretions or the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
Recommendations:
-Monitor serum potassium levels after starting treatment in patients with conditions predisposing them to hyperkalemia

RENAL:
Impairment in Renal Function:
-Increases serum creatinine and decreases eGFR
-Renal function abnormalities can occur after starting treatment
Recommendation:
-More frequent monitoring of renal function in patients with eGFR below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2

SPECIAL POPULATIONS:
-ELDERLY PATIENTS: Higher incidence of adverse reactions related to reduced intravascular volume (hypotension, postural dizziness, orthostatic hypotension, syncope, dehydration) especially with the 300 mg daily dose.
-PEDIATRIC PATIENTS: Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.

LABORATORY CONSIDERATIONS: Dose-related increases in LDL-C

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wooaaa! loads of CI
Type 2 here maybe it will be available - who knows then
thanks for the info :¬)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Indy51 - every drug, particularly newer drugs have a list of contra-indications. It is surely a case of weighing the pros and cons for each patient. Some patients may have problems others may not for others it may be trial and error. I am on Methotrexate a cyto-toxic drug for rheumatoid arthritis, a dreadful disease. The drug is for stomach/bowel cancer, breast cancer and some types of leukaemia I think. But some medic took the plunge, the risk and this drug, with it's many side effects and drug interactions and contra-indications is giving many rheumatoid a a much better lifestyle than they may otherwise have enjoyed. Not a perfect life just somewhat better then expected.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not denying that Alanp35 - all drugs have side effects which is why reading about them is so valuable for patients who want to be knowledgeable about such things. I don't think I suggested that nobody should take it because there are side effects, that certainly wasn't my intention, I was just providing evidence that it may not be a wonder drug for all diabetics as claimed by the tabloid article.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not a wonder drug. A wonder drug would be a two week course of three pills a day which results in a full cure.

It's just another drug, of the stronger variety, that adopts a new way of working to achieve a similar effect to other stronger medications. It's main benefit from what I can see is that it helps to avoid hypos, a major 'side effect' of stronger medications. But, like all medications, it has its own.

It's probably very good for a certain group of patients for whom the current offerings are not suitable but who do need something.

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Oxygen has minimal side effects and is considered a drug if administered any way other than normal breathing. I get your point though, if you read all the possible side effects and contra-indications it's a wonder we take any drug at all. The article itself looks very interesting and although I wouldn't class it as a wonder drug it's seems it's certainly a step forward.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay, another wonder drug! I remember reports of wonder drugs for cancer, obesity, MS, Parkinson's and epilepsy. Strange how these conditions still persist.

Kate

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
It is Kate. Only problem is that each drug does not suit all patients and some suffer dreadful side,effects. But if it helps even 10% it is a step in the right direction I reckon.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I was on dapagliflozin for a while and it is good for both lowering BG and weight - you pee out glucose and it's calories. Canagliflozin is the next drug in that family of drugs that inhibit the re-uptake of glucose in the kidneys. Unfortunately balanitis and a case of UTI meant that my endo was of the view that the benefits for me were not justified by the side effects of having sugary pee!

Doug

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sorry but did they call you sweet pea.
I'll have to get some friends as sharp as you lol. I admit to more than a smile on this miserable, wet Sunday morning.

Doug

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Anyone know any drugs that have no side effects listed?

Yes I do, all the supplements that people buy from so called health food shops and other dubious sources, none of them have any "listed" side effects at all due to the fact that they have never been subjected to any scientific tests or trials like prescription drugs ;)