Raised iron levels

Lee.piarroux

Type of diabetes
Type 2
good evening - I have had lots of bloods recently my BS is still high 8.2 and I have accepted that I will need to go onto meds - however what's worrying me more is the fact that my iron levels are so high and I now having to have lots of other tests - could the 2 be related did anyone else have raised iron levels when first diagnosed?? Thank you in advance

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening - I have had lots of bloods recently my BS is still high 8.2 and I have accepted that I will need to go onto meds - however what's worrying me more is the fact that my iron levels are so high and I now having to have lots of other tests - could the 2 be related did anyone else have raised iron levels when first diagnosed?? Thank you in advance

are you of celtic descent ?

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Haemochromatosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

in the UK it is thought that 1/200 has inherited too high levels of iron, especially those of celtic origin... most if not treated do end up becomming diabetic or ill in other ways, women later than men due to womens mentrual cycle ....

Reactions: KezG

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Could also be influenced by your current eating.....
Ie as much as low iron levels can be from not eating enough, high can be exactly the same.
Ie thats why pregnant ladies are advised only to eat liver (uch) once a week. Thats for vit A content of liver, but theres still some foods that could be influencing your results..

I'm eating lots of iron from veg n nuts as I can't eat other iron forms ie meat and had fallen in to anaemia.

First off would be to analyse foods younare currently eating...