Raw Puer Tea

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was diagnosed with T2D at HbA1c 11% in Sep 15. Latest HbA1c in Feb 16 is 5.3%.

Not sure if anyone here had an opportunity to try raw puer tea. But over the past few months, other than LCHF and intermittent fasting, I have found some raw puer tea to be remarkably effective and helpful in lowering post meal glucose spikes.

Some of the tea I tried can reduce post meal glucose by > 5 mmol within 2-3 hours.

These include raw purple bud from Jing Gu region and raw puer from Jing Mai region.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @kokhongw, I've never tried raw pu-erh. I find the usual fermented kind tastes too strong and bitter for me: is the green version less bitter by any chance?

Kate

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @kokhongw, I've never tried raw pu-erh. I find the usual fermented kind tastes too strong and bitter for me: is the green version less bitter by any chance?

Kate

:) actually no. The "green" version are more bitter and astrigent because they have only been lightly fermented. As they age, the taste profile change and becomes smoother. But those from aged old trees tends to be easier on the palate.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is another raw puer tea that was effective for me:
http://world.taobao.com/item/523994553011.htm?fromSite=main

The readings were after a meal of 10 pot stickers. Guess there's still too much flour in the pot sticker for me.

10421303_10154084972004445_2106868845523307160_n.jpg

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not heard of this tea, I asked in our local whole food shop and they hadn't either. We have a Chinese supermarket in town, is this something they'd stock? I have looked on Amazon but it seems very expensive on there, and that's before adding postage.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not heard of this tea, I asked in our local whole food shop and they hadn't either. We have a Chinese supermarket in town, is this something they'd stock? I have looked on Amazon but it seems very expensive on there, and that's before adding postage.

Yes raw puer tea is usually more expensive, because they tend to be from aged trees, not cultivated bushes. If I try to get similar tea locally, it will cost $10-30 per 100g.

But those i have listed are low cost <$5/100g and you will likely have to order them thru a local Taobao agent.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand/read chinese, so i webt to aliexpress.com and saw a lot over there, including the brand you mentioned. Next time i need more puer tea, i'll get it from aliexpress.

I made a strong dose of one i got, big mistake, super caffeine power, couldnt sleep.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't understand/read chinese, so i webt to aliexpress.com and saw a lot over there, including the brand you mentioned. Next time i need more puer tea, i'll get it from aliexpress.

I made a strong dose of one i got, big mistake, super caffeine power, couldnt sleep.

Yes some of them can give you heart palpitation...that's why I usually only have it during the day. I think it cost a little more on Aliexpress as that is for the international market whereas Tmall and Taobao are for local Chinese market. You may try to turn on google translate...

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just realized not all pu erh teas are the same in effectiveness, and it really has to be a strong brew.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just realized not all pu erh teas are the same in effectiveness, and it really has to be a strong brew.
Yes. Those that I listed are those that I found to be effective...
For every one that I list, I have probably tried 4-5 that didn't have any effect...

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not possible to register to Taobao when one can't read Chinese. Google Translate also doesn't work on the registration page. Well too bad for us ...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may be a silly question but is each 'cake' for one single cup of tea? if so it is very expensive
Each of the smaller cake is 100g of compressed tea leaves. Each pot uses around 5g.
Larger cakes are 357g.

There's few medication more cost effective for lowering after meal glucose.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it helps, I actually have a puer tea, with orange, came via Amazon, which I simply like the taste of. Sealed in a metalised zip bag, so it travels well.
I can't comment on the effects on BG though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tested your blood glucose with the same foods, in the same quantities, without the tea?

I ask because without comparison testing, you won't know whether the tea has an effect or not, since blood glucose levels rise and then fall naturally after eating.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tested your blood glucose with the same foods, in the same quantities, without the tea?

I ask because without comparison testing, you won't know whether the tea has an effect or not, since blood glucose levels rise and then fall naturally after eating.

No, I just like the taste, and it seems to be caffeine free.
Lapsang souchong is another favourite.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes. That is a logical question. No not exactly.

But..without drinking tea...it would typically take about an hour or more for me to clear 20mg(~1 mmol)...so the high glucose reading will stay much longer and won't go back below 100mg (5.5mmol) from 180mg (10mmol) in time for the next meal, certainly it will not be able to reach 4 mmol...especially during the first couple of months of diagnosis. The only time I am able to reach 4 mmol is after a couple days of intermittent fast or drinking a few strong brew of puer tea.

Now that my fasting level is within the 5.5mmol range. I don't usually drink tea with meals any more. Unless I am going for a high carb meal that I know will send my glucose level to > 8mmol. I am now able to clear glucose much better than before...though not completely normalized...