Re-using needles / changing injection location

martinsoton

Hi everyone

Does anyone reuse there disposable needle tip on there novo pen or similar product? I have been caught out a couple of time and had to reuse them, but i am unsure of the risks associated with this?

Also ive been type 1 diabetic for 7 months now, buy have not really been changing my injection points. I only inject on my stomach. What happens if you don’t change the injection location?

thanks everyone

chocoholic

Yes, I re-use needles all the time. I probably change them once a day. My DN actually advised me to do this but to be honest, the newer the needle, the less a jab will hurt, in my experience.Unless, a needle is blunting (which happens quite quickly) I don't think there is a reason to change a needle more than daily but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i never reuse needles, i use a different one each injection i do, i also only inject in my tummy but use a different spot each time so they dont start to get lumpy :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I too never re-use needles. Having seen an enlarged macro photograph of an unused needle compared to one that had just been used once, it was amazing the amount of damage that could be seen clearly on the used needle.

They are designed for once only use and if you are told to use them more than once that is just plain wrong. The bacteria that is also on a used needle from contact with the skin etc must be seen to be believed.

Ken.

chocoholic

Really, Ken. I'm glad you enlightened me. I guess a new needle every jab it is then. Out of interest, has anyone else been advised that needles can be used more than once? I wonder if there is ANYTHING my original DN told me that was good advice. :roll:

iHs

I also re use my insulin pen needles too. I have been ok for the past 25 years so can't see anything wrong really. It is true that pen needles do go blunt but most people can do at least 4 jabs and not really feel anything.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husband re-uses needles multiplr times. He used to do this before the disposables were available and has continued to do it. Often injects through clothing too. Never got an infection from it.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I am sure there may be many who will say it is alright to re-use for whatever reasons.

I would just ask you to look at the photos and advice which is available by clicking on Sue's link.

T hen make your own minds up. Do whatever you think fit. I know I will never re-use a needle.

Ken

iHs

Me too :p

The good thing about injecting through clothing is that it is more or less like having a bare skeleton, you can go all over your body and not limited to any one area :mrgreen:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The danger with that Ihs is contamination from the clothing getting on to the needle.It has not happened to you you said but it can happen especially in polluted areas.

iHs

Yes, that is true I admit, but life has got to be made easier for us all having to do so many jabs. I would rather not draw any attention to myself than go into a public toilet. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I think we get the point. :D

willogs

Your needles are free so I use a new one each time. I have reused on 1 occassion when out and had not replenished my stock, but would not make a habit of it, surely there is an increased risk of infection.

In relation to injecting through my clothes, I like to know where I am injecting and if out either, pop to the loo or do it discreetly, my family/work colleagues are used to me doing it in front of them now. I suppose that is personal choice.

blackbird

I reuse my needles too, but only when I use Novorapid. I tend to use the same one all day and then dispose of it. I don't reuse needles when using Levemir as I found it seemed to clog up the pen. I haven't really had any problems yet except for injections being more painful and suffering more bruising. After seeing those photos I won't be reusing needles again though!

martinsoton

Thanks for everyones responces

please can everyone look at Sues link, it answered my question straight away, and opened my eyes

redrevis

Needle Reuse?

Hello everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with type 1 (last week) and have started my insulin treatment. I'm doing the Basal/Bolus system of 4 injections a day. During my intitial meeting with my DNS, she told me that needles can be used for 1 day then replaced and lancets can be used for a week then replaced. She said the companies manufacturing them recommend replacement after single use, but this is just because they want to make more money, which makes sense that companies want to maximise profit. But today i read
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12181&start=0
which i found in the Diabetes Medication and Drugs section. My question is, who am i to believe? Am i going to benefit from doing single use for needles and lancets are will i just be increasing the profits of these companies needlessly? How many of you only do single use and how many follow the advise like i was given?

p.s why can't i use code? p.p.s you'll probably see me... once only use lancets as single use as well?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I use my needles once only as I posted previously. As regards Lancets I use the Accu-chek multiclix which has a drum containing 6 lancets. I change that drum once weekly as it only pinpricks the surface of the skin and in my view is not unhygenic to do that.

I never inject through clothing, especially after seeing the macro photograph of a used needle

badmedisin

I reuse lancets because whenever I start a new one I get fingerpricks that take forever to stop bleeding. Then I end up bleeding all over my results book, which is just gross!

I definitely wouldn't leave a needle attached to an insulin pen. That just leaves a link from the germy outside world to the inside of your insulin cartridge. I prefer it to be sealed off really. I'm not germ obsessed, in fact I think the germ obsession is dangerous and is the cause of mrsa and the epidemic of allergies, but I think injection are one of those areas where it's better to be safe than sorry. Also when you reuse needles it gets more painful each time.