Really silly, really confused!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

So I recently started having night time hypos. No insulin adjustments or anything. I'm in honeymoon period so it's all a bit weird.

Anyway tonight I've been a bit ridiculous. I had a sandwich at lunch, then for dinner I've had a 100g bag of peanut M&Ms (60g carbs). I know this is a stupid dinner: don't judge me. Anyway, even more stupid, I didn't inject- I thought i'd wait and watch if I spiked then correct. Usually for 60g carbs I take 2.5 units. Anyway, no spike and now I'm 4.5!

How can this be? I'm so confused and frustrated with all these hypos. It seems like recently I inject Lantas at it just makes me crash.

Not sure how to get back into control :-( I can't sleep, I'm always tired at work. I've been managing ok up until the last couple of weeks and really not sure what to do.

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's two things I'd comment on. First, if you're in the honeymoon, your pancreas will be producing insulin in response to the food you've eaten. It's a tricky one, because you can't quantify the amount of insulin your pancreas is producing. You just need to wait until things settle down. Rubbish answer, unfortunately!

Secondly, the amount of fat in chocolate causes quite a late glycemic response in me; it can take a few hours for the sugar in glucose to cause a raise in BG. Others in this forum report an immediate increase in BG from chocolate, however.

So, it's difficult to answer exactly why, sorry!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
Chocolate takes ages for me as well, but I ate at at half 5, so 5 hours ago. I was running at about 7 then within an hour of Lantas I'd dropped to 4.5. I've noticed this a few times this week. Is it possible that it's the Lantas do you think?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have noticed occasional larger drops with lantus. I've been on it for almost as long as it has been around and it hasn't happened very often, but it has happened. I have generally been able to trace it back to not eating long enough acting carbs and the drop taking place when carbs have disappeared.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi.
Chocolate takes ages for me as well, but I ate at at half 5, so 5 hours ago. I was running at about 7 then within an hour of Lantas I'd dropped to 4.5. I've noticed this a few times this week. Is it possible that it's the Lantas do you think?

Not had this happen, but it may help if you inject your lantus in your bum as insulin is absorbed at a slower rate from there, if your still getting hypo's then just reduce your basal dose further, the Honeymoon Period can be a difficult time and you will find you need to adjust your insulin doses quite often in response to the output from your pancreas, annoying but persevere Emmotha.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Perhaps it would be a better option to cut back on your Lantus? First things first though ring your nurse and ask her what the best option would be. :)

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a thought - as it was a friday night - did you happen to have anything to drink with your dins....? Like a glass of wine or similar....? Just cos even a glass can cause me to have night time lows - so just a thought :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
Thanks for the advice.

Nope didn't have alcohol last night. I'm off out tonight though so I was planning to have some, hadn't factored my new night time lows in. And I'm staying at my parents so deffo don't want to hypo there as my other half is not coming with me.

I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard. I didn't even have breakfast today because I just can't be doing with thinking about it :-(

I thought I'd got the hang of it now it's completely messed up. Arrrrrgh.

Sorry to rant.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate to be a party pooper but do you think it's wise to drink whilst your pancreas is coughing and spluttering? I'd hate for you to need paramedics and potentially lose your driving licence if you have one or even your life.
Perhaps a better option would be a good night out without the alcohol?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah you're right, I'm just having one of those days. I was really looking forward to letting loose later. Stupid diabetes.
:(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
or ...have a midnight carby fastfood/ takeaway on the way home and don't bolus :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all.
Thanks for the advice.

Nope didn't have alcohol last night. I'm off out tonight though so I was planning to have some, hadn't factored my new night time lows in. And I'm staying at my parents so deffo don't want to hypo there as my other half is not coming with me.

I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard. I didn't even have breakfast today because I just can't be doing with thinking about it :-(

I thought I'd got the hang of it now it's completely messed up. Arrrrrgh.

Sorry to rant.

I would go easy on the alcohol tonight given your tendency to go hypo, you could also give yourself a reduced basal dose starting from tonight and start your basal testing as from Sunday night/Monday morning, either way make sure to eat something containing carbs before bed, better to wake a little high in the morning than go hypo in your sleep.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
.... brilliant advice from @noblehead - that's what I did in the early days too... you're on Lantus aren't you...? Do you take it in the am or pm...? Tricky to adjust if you've taken todays dose already - but if you take it at night then you *could* have a couple of drinks, and reduce your dose tonight...but be aware that Lantus takes around three days to properly adjust... and also defo agree that if in doubt, have a snack - any drop from having a drink or two can happen hours later - so if you're at all unsure of your numbers at bedtime then have something slow release (half an apple with peanut butter works well for me!) - as better to go a bit higher for a few hours, than too low... I know it can feel overwhelming at times - hug xx

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I changed my diet to low carb, my diabetes team were skeptical, but said they would support it if I could prove I was not having hypos, particularly at night. They did a test which might benefit you if it's available at your hospital (I'm not sure how widespread it is). They attached a more basic form of a continuous blood glucose monitor to me for a week, to see exactly what my blood sugars were doing. I had to fill in a diary of food/exercise/insulin and blood sugars (The sensor didn't give me any information, it just recorded things to be downloaded by the health team at the end of the trial). I went back to see my DSN 3 weeks after the test to get the results. She showed me a graph, which displayed my blood sugars for the whole week. It was fascinating to see trends, and my blood sugars tended to follow a pattern each day.

I see the diabetes team at The Royal United Hospital in Bath, in case your healthcare team don't use this test and want more info.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I changed my diet to low carb, my diabetes team were skeptical, but said they would support it if I could prove I was not having hypos, particularly at night. They did a test which might benefit you if it's available at your hospital (I'm not sure how widespread it is). They attached a more basic form of a continuous blood glucose monitor to me for a week, to see exactly what my blood sugars were doing. I had to fill in a diary of food/exercise/insulin and blood sugars (The sensor didn't give me any information, it just recorded things to be downloaded by the health team at the end of the trial). I went back to see my DSN 3 weeks after the test to get the results. She showed me a graph, which displayed my blood sugars for the whole week. It was fascinating to see trends, and my blood sugars tended to follow a pattern each day.

I see the diabetes team at The Royal United Hospital in Bath, in case your healthcare team don't use this test and want more info.
I think you will find it's a Medtronic device, they are widely used by hcp's. The device has been available for years :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I actually have the libre which tells me the same, which is how I know what's going on.

Mostly when I hypo at night I wake up, but I'm going low on regular occasions and I'm scared about NOT waking up :-(

I'm going to low carb again I think. And reduce my Lantas. always within 1-2 hours after Lantas I drop by up to 4mmol! Weird