Really struggling with recent diagnosis - self-destruct

Umfriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I just needed somewhere to let off steam. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in October last year and I'm really struggling. And now I seem to have pushed the self-destruct button.

Before I rant, I just want to say that I am an intelligent woman who understands what is wrong, what I need to do to rectify it, and how. I have rheumatoid arthritis, collagenous colitis (not a serious bowel condition, but constantly uncomfortable and somewhat unpredictable), and an inherently very high cholesterol level. I am (almost) 51 years old, and I am a practice manager for an ever-increasingly large legal practice - three offices when I started the job, six offices now, and three more due this year - extremely stressful. I don't get paid if I'm not at work - there is no sickness scheme - so I can't take time off easily, even for doctor/hospital appointments.

I am in a long-term stable relationship: my wonderful partner, together with my 22-year old daughter, are my rocks - they are the only thing that really keeps me on this earth.

There, that's a potted me. If you're still willing to read on:

This has been a horrible 12 months for many reasons - too many to write down and to complicated to explain easily but suffice it to say that I have been literally at the point of taking every last tablet in the house (and there are a lot of tablets), many times. And then I got the diagnosis and my initial reaction was that I didn't care if it killed me - I was just completely overloaded. My other half is a biologist and set about trying to 'fix' things - we tried really hard with the diet and although I was miserable I went along with it all. However, in the lead up to Christmas we had another couple of stressful events to deal with and I abandoned everything - and now I have truly pressed the self-destruct button. I am gorging on sweet and fatty things - can't be bothered to cook, just want to curl up in a corner.

I leave the house at 7.30 each morning, and get back at 6.30 each night - it feels like we have no time to do anything sensible food-wise. We used to make good use of our big freezer - I would stand and cook for a whole weekend once every 4-6 weeks and then freeze meals for the next few weeks, which was great. Unfortunately, just after we moved into this house, the electrics to the garage were condemned and the landlady won't reinstate them. We can't put the freezer in the kitchen as the kitchen circuit isn't fit for purpose and already flips off if we run more than two appliances at once. So the practicalities are already made more difficult.

I can't eat breakfast before I go out as I am not ready to eat so early in the morning; and there are lots of foods that I simply cannot eat, despite trying time and again, and most of them are the ones that are recommended, e.g.:

beans, pulses and chickpeas - disgusting textures
wholemeal/seeded breads - can manage these occasionally for a sandwich but cannot eat all the time - don't like the taste and don't enjoy the texture of the seeds
fish - even the smell makes me want to throw up
seafood - same problem with smell and texture
some vegetables, e.g. aubergine, courgette - too 'slimy' and bitter

There are lots of combinations of tastes and textures that I cannot stand too, and some smells are a real problem. It's not a case of not being willing to try, and re-try, because I do, but there is nothing worse than being forced to eat things that make you want to be sick.

I am desperate - I know what I have to do, I know how to do it (I'm a good cook and until the move we never lived on **** - fresh/home made meals every day) but I cannot get my head around things and the harder I try, the more I spiral downwards. It has got to the stage where I would literally prefer not to eat than put so much emphasis on food all the time. I am scrutinised at work - people are constantly pointing out 'I don't think that is part of your diabetic diet!', whenever I eat anything that is not considered super healthy, e.g. white bread, or crisps - as though I don't know it isn't the 'right' thing, but surely I can have a small packet of crisps occasionally.

I have always had sugar in my hot drinks, but I am trying really hard to use sweetener now - but its awful - really bitter. I've tried so many different types but they are all so bitter - it's not psychological, i have done blind tests and I can tell straightaway. So I can't even sit down an enjoy a hot drink, never mind a cold juice, or the like. At least I don't drink alcohol so i don't have to worry about that.

I gave up smoking 15 months ago - which is an achievement - but I have nothing to lean on now, at all - and leaning on myself isn't enough, obviously, because I'm such a failure.

All i get when I try to talk to people is 'do this, do that' (which I don't need, because I know what i have to do!), or 'it'll be okay - you'll get used to it' - they don't seem to realise that I am really struggling and how big this is for me - it is on top of everything else, not instead of, so I'm dealing with all this stress at once and I'm going under - slipping slowly under.

The harder I think about it, about doing the 'right' things, the more stressed I am and the more sugar I want.

What do I do?

Thank you so much for reading.

collectingrocks

Hi Umfriend

I read your post with interest and can sympathise on many things. Don't worry, you will not be judged here, there are a lot of decent people on this forum who will be happy to help you through. And I can see you're an intelligent woman and know what to do, so please don't be offended if Daisy pops up with her advisary post for new members.

The thing is...you know what you have to do. You just have to take small steps at a time. Like you, I work very long hours and don't get time to have a proper meal at home as by the time I get home, it's almost bedtime to get up early the next morning.

Can you take healthy snacks into work? I think the consensus is to eat small, but regularly. Are you on medication?

You have taken the first positive step to come onto this forum and you will find lots of useful information/advice. We are all friendly here and are non-judgemental.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
it sounds like you are having a bad time a the moment, lots of things seem to be happening to you all at once and with your work to that can only add to the stress/overload you are expierencing, i dont know weather your type1 or 2 , but i am 2 . and newly diagnosed . like you it was hard to do all the cooking and trying to find foods witch are suitable to eat, im fussy lol .. i generally dont make meal plans i just go and get want i want at the meal time in question, like you i work early mornings and have tried the usual stuff of youghuts/nuts , i settled on very easy mini quiches witch i bake on weekend and store in fridge, lovley cold and you can add anything you like to them , very filling to and if you are driving then easy to munch on ur travels, . all i can say to you is to try to look at suger as toxic posion to ur body i know the temptetion it brings i do!! change those sweet cravings for others suger free jellys with beries .. bake ur own suger free cookies cook therapy when u have some down time and somthing you and ur hubby could do togeather, as low as you feel right now and isolated/stressed your not alone out here and all of us hear echo your words as we go threw this at some stage, just change 1 thing today its the start that can change all for you! or maybe if you cant bear to cook or time wise immpossible try a food outlet to deliver i think wiltshire foods do diabetic range. let them do the work/calorie count all u have to do is pick what you like all worth a try .. keep ur chin up and know we all here for each other we fight this togeather lots love xxx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Umfriend

I read your post with interest and can sympathise on many things. Don't worry, you will not be judged here, there are a lot of decent people on this forum who will be happy to help you through. And I can see you're an intelligent woman and know what to do, so please don't be offended if Daisy pops up with her advisary post for new members.

Hi Umfriend and welcome to the forum:)

This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Well you've found us now and we can try to help.

Are you monitoring your sugar levels?
Do you need to lose weight?
Can you do any exercise? - Also good for stress/unwinding.

How about you post us a list of what you do like to eat and we can offer suggestions based on that.

As for your cooking /storing solutions I have two suggestions
1) can you squeeze a freezer in a bedroom? Even if you have to go and buy a small one, it may be worth the expense.
2) Use a slow cooker- you can prep the meal and leave it on low or with a timer.

Cara

Umfriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for such swift and positive replies. I have felt such a failure with everything, it has been difficult to move forward. I am desperate to take charge of my diabetes and just need to find my way.

In response to your questions, Cara, I'm not monitoring - my diabetic nurse said it wasn't necessary. I'm not on meds though, so how am I supposed to know what I'm doing? How do I know if my sweats and sickness is due to too high or too low blood sugar (although I make assumptions in relation to having/not having eaten) - and whether what I am eating is the right thing. I find this part quite difficult, as I'm the sort of person who prefers to know about things in reasonable detail.

I am short and fat - I weigh 13 stone and am only 5 ft 1 tall - so I do need to lose weight. However, quite a bit of the medication I take for my rheumatoid has the side effect of weight gain, so it's a constant battle. But I'd be happier if I was a few stone lighter. I was really ill in 2012 and lost 4 stone because I couldn't eat for weeks on end - I had four episodes, so probably went without food for about three months of the year. Needless to say it went straight back on when I started eating again.

I don't exercise regularly - the main reasons are time and energy: with the length of day I have, it's difficult to find time during the week, and I'm just so tired when I get home that all I want to do is find something to eat and then sleep. I know I need to change this - we're thinking we'll just do something at home, maybe a fitness DVD, just to get something going.

See, I'm a total failure because I know where I'm going (and have gone) wrong and haven't addressed it all. Then I go back to the spiral - failure, down, down, down. Oh hum.

In terms of what I do like, it's not so difficult: I love most meat (not lamb tho) and most vegetables, although some of my faves grow below ground, and potatoes are my absolute weakness, in any form. I like a straightforward salad - lettuce, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, onions, eggs. I'm not a lover of spicy food - but I love stews and casseroles, although I find it hard to eat these things without potatoes, for example. Can I have jacket potatoes, because I love them! So there's plenty I do like, really - it's just that there are so many low carb plans that seem to concentrate on the stuff I really don't like, which makes me feel down because it's like I'll never enjoy my food again.

But thank you for you encouraging words - I will do it, and the support I've seen on here is better than anything else I've had so far.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
First thing is get a meter. Many manufacturers will give you one for free but the test strips are more expensive
Lots of us therefore buy the SD Code Free meter as the strips are about one third of the price. Get onto Amazon and do that now!

:D

Cara

More to follow..........

Umfriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done it Cara! Thanks.

This is turning out to be the best use of a day off ever!!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of what I do like, it's not so difficult: I love most meat (not lamb tho) and most vegetables, although some of my faves grow below ground, and potatoes are my absolute weakness, in any form. I like a straightforward salad - lettuce, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, onions, eggs. I'm not a lover of spicy food - but I love stews and casseroles, although I find it hard to eat these things without potatoes, for example. Can I have jacket potatoes, because I love them! So there's plenty I do like, really - it's just that there are so many low carb plans that seem to concentrate on the stuff I really don't like, which makes me feel down because it's like I'll never enjoy my food again..

Meat is fine and vegetables are fine although some root vegetables have carbohydrates but if you identify which ones bother you then you can just cut down on those ones a bit. That is easier than denying yourself completely

New potatoes are usually fine although some old potatoes bear watching you won't really know which ones affect you until you use a meter. Your straightforward salad seems to have no hidden problems whatsoever.

Not liking spicy food probably means that I do not need to tell you that rice is a no-no in Chinese Chippy sized portions. Less is possibly ok.

I should hold off on the jacket potatoes until you get a meter to find out which ones and how big a one you can eat.

Experiment with stir fries since you can often make a nice chicken meal with a sauce and it is a salad by any other name but nicer in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Umfriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Squire Fulwood - I've ordered the meter recommended by Cara - perhaps I'll begin to get a better grip once I know what levels I have. I have fingers tightly crossed for jacket potatoes though!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I can identify with a lot of what you said.

I'm pretty bright. I know chocolate etc makes me fat. I know being 6 stones over weight was wrong. So why did I do it?
I also work long hours but I am at home so I pick.
For me, food is emotionally satisfying.
It took me losing the feeling in my fingers to pull back from the edge.

I lost weight and felt loads better, so it is worth it.

After I lost my first stone or two I looked into the Newcastle Diet ( basically a rapid weight loss using meal replacement) and did that for 6 weeks or so and it was excellent for me. Not having to think about food broke my relationship with over eating ( although over Xmas we had 2 birthdays and an anniversary and so I rewarded myself! 1 stone back on is not a reward .And so my fingers are weird again,

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

It didint 'cure' my diabetes but it helped. I still have weight to lose so I am giving it another try.

If having read Daisy's welcome message you want to think abut lowering your carbohydrates then another possible Amazon purchase for you is 'Carbs and Cals'. It has photos of food, which sounds like a gimmick, but actually brings it all home! I was surprised as I thought I knew about food, even if I didn't use my knowledge

I've just bought The Beck Diet Solution, I cant recommend it yet as I haven't read it all but initial thoughts are it seems quite good.

I am the Queen of exercise DVD buying too. Although they only work if you do them and simply looking at them on the shelf seems to have no effect at all ;)

I also use the low carb Atkins bars for cravings. There is one that is almost identical to Bounty. Try a low cal hot chocolate as a sweet hot drink. I think Options is lowish in carbs.

I don't have shares in Amazon honestly!

As you like stews and casseroles then a slow cooker would be great, if you can get your freezer situation sorted that would help too.

Have a nose around the recipe pages and do ask for info and help. Post your results when you get those too. You can be thinner and fitter for summer if you start now.

Keep in touch
Cara

Umfriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Cara - this weekend is going to be the starting point - bit of a self-talking-to, methinks, and creation of a few basic dishes for in the fridge, if not the freezer. I'll give some thought to breakfasts and lunches - will be delighted once the monitor arrives as that will tell me a lot more than I know now, and knowledge is power.

Can't thank you all enough - I'll pop back next week and let you know what I've managed to achieve over the weekend.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find soups very helpful for lunches you can takr a wide mouthed flask if you are out I made leek and celeriac today dead easy and quite low carb but filling Basically soften leek in butter chop celeriac into cubes I use half leek to half celeriac but you can find out what you like best cover with milk and water 1/2&1/2 add seasoning I use veg stock cube Cook for 10 mins in pressure cooker or about 20 mins in lidded pan then blitz dont worry if it seems to have separated before you blitz it, it will be ok afterwards The best advice is test and look on the DB as a challenge that you will win
CAROL