Reasonable Adjustments at work

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AndBreathe i am gonna go to work on thursday and aee if there is any thing they can do including swappin departments as there is people doing the hours that i have asked for thats why i dont think it is unreasonable me askin for them hours
Good luck today, I hope they can accommodate you, let us know you get on.

binman1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
to much noise, WORK
Hello everyone this is my first ever thread so please bare with me.
I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic Sept 2015 after a little time of work i went back to work on a 10am - 6pm shift (before diagnosis i was on rotating 6-2/2-10) which has helped a lot with the management of my blood sugar levels. i had to speak with an occupational health person regarding my diabetes and also depression. in the report they have stated that through good management i can go back to the shifts i was previously on. i have had some concerns which i have brought to their attention and asked for a reasonable adjustment to be made.
My concerns was:
  • i take my basal insulin before bedtime and if i do the different shifts i would have to start changing the times of the basal insulin which could make me unstable.
  • i have also started to do a medical trial which means i have another injection to have at the same time as my basal insulin at bed time as this one makes you feel sick they suggested i take this at bedtime which i don't fancy changing the time as i have a routine.
  • i have suggested that i can do a 6-2 / 10am -6pm rotating shift pattern which would be a reasonable adjustment and will not cause me to mess about with my bedtime routine.
  • my last concern is a personal concern. 7 weeks after my diagnosis my girlfriend was also diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. we have a small child and we all have tea together as we have to eat properly. also i would like to be at home when my girlfriend is at home in-case anything happens to her whilst having the child ( over protective i know!!!)
I am getting to the point were i think that my company does not care about my situation and only cares about what the occupational health report says even though they have only spoke with me for around 30 mins. i am very close to telling my employers where they can stick there job as i think that i am asking for something that is reasonable practicable.
i am wondering if anybody else is struggling with their employer and would be open to any feedback/help that anyone has.
Regards
Gunn3rs6
hi , only just read your thread , then is the Equality Act of 2010, which saids that Diabetic 2 is a disabled under the law

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Gunn3rs6 - I've just seen this thread. I'm insulin dependant on MDI. I am in a different country to you, although I have had experience with my employer having to accommodate my disabilities. Although for me they didn't start to accommodate my disabilities until it started to impact my work. I had a break down at work one day in 2012 over a phone call I'd received about my health and I couldn't pull myself together so I got taken into the bosses office for a chat. It's been a long process since then and they put me through the wringer I must say. I was being seen by a rehab case manager and an OT for at least 18 months before they made a decision I needed to be referred to their doctor for assessment for fitness for duty. Well to cut the long story short they have put me on part time working hours and approved a partial invalidity pension for me through my retirement funding. But during that whole process they didn't really use my diabetes as leverage to change my hours.... it had a lot more to do with my other illnesses. So even though they do need to accommodate you for injections (which my employer is fine with and they even supply sharps containers in the restrooms), they don't see it has a problem for me because I can manage it. What they do require from me though is for me to let them know if I hypo during working hours as they say it is a duty of care issue and if anything happens they need to be able to back me up, etc. I wish you the best with your negotiations with your employer. As I'm not in your country, I'd say the other UK peeps would be on the money with what your employer is obligated to do, etc.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi , only just read your thread , then is the Equality Act of 2010, which saids that Diabetic 2 is a disabled under the law

The Equality Act 2010 says that a disability is a long term condition which, without treatment, would have a significant adverse impact on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

Type 1s are disabled for the purpose of the equality act because, without treatment they'd die.

It's a bit more of a grey area for type 2s as it will depend on the individual's condition and treatment - it's decided on a case by case basis.