Recent diagnosis

Brss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone I've just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 weeks ago. I'm 54 so this is a massive shock. I'm a fitness instructor and been a runner for 33 years. I have been trying to do all this before diagnosed as my GPS said there was nothing wrong with me even though I was underweight and so tired. I feel so much better now with the insulin. If anyone has any advice for me regarding the honeymoon period and exercise that would be brilliant as I've had a few hypos and am a bit overwhelmed by it all. Many thanks

Sent from my F8331 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the club. For me, the diagnosis was a huge relief: an explanation for how I was feeling and a chance to move on and learn. Don't panic if you get it wrong occasionally, I am continuously learning more, tweaking my insulin and when I take it.
I am pleased to read you are continuing to exercise. Everyone's body is different, ho we react to exercise, how much exercise we can take without hypos, how much less insulin or more food we need is different for each meal of us.
A few things I do that help
- eat some slow acting carbs without insulin before exercise. For me, about 10 to 15g carbs worked.
- add a few drops of fruit squash to the water you drink during exercise. I find this works better for me than bottled sugar drinks as it gives me control,over the amount of sugar ... don't be afraid of a little sugar.
- reduce basal after exercise. Exercise uses up our sugar reserves so we have less through the next day.

Good luck

Reactions: Brss and ziggy_w

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Brss :)

I'm glad you're feeling better now you're on insulin. I felt the same. It was a pretty immediate improvement.

My advice for exercise is to take it easy to start with because your body has been through a lot. Test frequently, carry hypo treatments, and eat a carby snack before you exercise. I like flapjacks, as they're a good mix of fast and slow carbs.

I also recommend getting the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's fantastic for Type 1s.

Reactions: Brss

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One thing which I always try to keep in mind is that insulin operates over time. That shot you have for lunch will be working at various rates for about the next 4 or 5 hours, peaking after about 1.5 to 2 hours and then gradually tailing off. So when deciding how much insulin to take for a meal, you need to not only figure out how many carbs are in it but also how active you're likely to be for the next 5 or so hours as that too will influence the amount of insulin.

Because you're basically trying to balance insulin, carbs and exercise, it means that if you're going to be sitting in front of the telly for the rest of the afternoon, you might take x units, but if you're planning on going for a run later, you'd likely want to take less insulin for the meal as your body has ways of using glucose without insulin when exercising, so the combination of exercise and insulin can be a double whammy.

If you've exercised before the meal, you can sometimes get a delayed "after drop" so you might need to take that into account tp and maybe tail back the insulin a bit.

And if you were planning on doing a run 2 hours after the meal, remember that that would coincide with peak insulin action, which would get messy.

Basically, anytime you're doing something active, have a think about how much active insulin you still have on board

Certainly doesn't mean you can't do them, just requires a bit more planning ahead, and accepting that there are some inherently unpredictable aspects - your liver's got a mind of it's own and will sometimes release or take back glucose without bothering to ask you.

Ask the hospital whether they'll give you a free trial of a Freestyle Libre. Some do, some don't - it's a bit of a postcode lottery. It's a small sensor worn on the arm which measures glucose levels continuously so you can see a continuous graph of where you've been for the last 8 hours and will say whether you're rising or falling rapidly, which is a huge help in anticipating hypos and then taking some carbs to stop it happening. Strips just give you a little snapshot of a point in time, which is not that much help when you're tracking a constantly moving target. Libte is like seeing the whole movie. It makes life a lot easier. Not on the NHS at the moment, so it's £50 for 2 weeks. There's also dexcom which gives alerts, not sure of the pricing for that.

Best of luck, I took things easy for a few months after dx, but then got back on my bike, skis and boat and had a pretty active life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brss