recent DVLA guidlines

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
I had my latest diabetic review a few weeks ago and the doctor mentioned about the new rules the dvla are doing. He said if you are admitted to hospital with a hypo the dvla will take your driving licence off you even if its the first time it has happened. Can anyone confirm this. Ive looked on the dvla site and can find nothing that says this.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've my doubts about this.
Our local NHS issues a leaflet about driving and diabetes and there is no mention about hospital treatment for hypos resulting in withdrawal of a licence. From comments I've read about other peoples contacts with DVLA it seems that DVLA are not particularly good at interpreting diabetic conditions or ability to drive even if folk submit GP's or Consultant's opinions.
If the DVLA site doesn't say anything about hospital admission then I wouldn't worry.
Here's a link to the leaflet my GP gave me when I asked if I should inform the DVLA about my diabetes and the fact that I was taking a medication that might cause a hypo. She said that since I'd only ever had one (under unusual circumstances) and my BG was under good control there was no reason to inform DVLA.
http://www.bedfordshirediabetes.org.uk/downloads/Updates 2014/Driving_leaflet-v3[1].pdf

Dave

Edit - I hadn't spotted that you are being treated with insulin so my comments are redundant as per @himtoo 's post below.
Sorry for any confusion :-(

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have popped in the DVLA guidelines for diabetics on insulin here

please note the important part is if you have a hypo requiring 3rd party assistance

.hope this helps.

Attachments

• DVLA - driving with diabetes.jpg
    DVLA - driving with diabetes.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 569
Reactions: parrotlady

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes