Recently Diagnosed, Type ?

KEV-81

Hi All.
I was diagnosed at the start of December 2016. After a few weeks of feeling run down combined with loosing 3+kg in weight in just a few weeks and during the last few days having a constant thirst I could not quench I decided to go to the doctors who tested my bloods and then rushed to me Hospital after a reading of over 25mmol.
I was put on a fluid drip and a insulin drip to get my bloods down, lots of blood tests taken and by the end of the day my blood sugars were low enough that they sent me home with insulin injections and a diagnosis of type 1. Keteones had been present all day until I was released.
After 3 weeks I had managed to start controlling my blood sugars and they were generally around 10mmol, Levamere insulin at night and novarapid with my meals. Now 3 months on I am managing to control them between 4-10mmol that's to the freestyle Libre blood monitor as well as finger pricks.

The doctors on day 1 were sure of type 1 diagnosis due to the symptoms prior to my trip to hospital, since then my consultant is also sure of type 1 diagnosis. Whats confused me is that a recent set of bloods taken as part of the startright diabetic trials has indicated type 2, although they state that the results are not 100% accurate at diagnosing.

My consultant despite these blood test results is still sure I have type 1 and im just one of the 20% whos blood results don't necessarily tie up with the expected results.

Still trying to get to grips with life with diabetes!
Kevin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @KEV-81 :)

Your diagnosis story is similar to mine as I had a blood sugar of around 25 when diagnosed. I felt a lot better once they gave me some insulin. It made me realise how rough I'd been feeling before.

I'd trust your consultant regarding your type and not worry about it :) As long as your blood sugars are good that's all that matters really.

If you're looking for a good Type 1 book, then Think Like A Pancreas is fantastic and very popular here.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum @KEV-81.

I too can draw some parallels with your experience at diagnosis back in October 2016. Namely the weight loss (shed 6kg+ without realising it), the ketones and the really high blood sugar. I was called back into my GP urgently from an a1c they'd taken routinely (which showed an average of 23mmol/L) when changing surgery and as soon as I'd been seen the next morning sent straight to A&E.

I had some blood tests done at first and sent off and since seeing my consultant was told I am Type 1. Must say it was hard to get my head around at first and I started to disbelieve it myself a bit when my honeymoon kicked in after a while as my doses slowly came down (I'm told as it's given my pancreas a break for a bit) but they've stabilised mostly for now.

Definitely get the book @azure has recommended if you can it is very useful!

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've never heard of the Startright Trials - what are they? There is no test as such for T2 but there are two tests that can help confirm T1 i.e. GAD and c-peptide tests. If you were slim or had lost weight unexpectedly around diagnosis time then that would be a strong T1 indicator. If you had a lot of excess weight then T2 becomes more likely. I'm sure your consultants can be relied upon for the T1 diagnosis.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I've never heard of the Startright Trials - what are they? There is no test as such for T2 but there are two tests that can help confirm T1 i.e. GAD and c-peptide tests. If you were slim or had lost weight unexpectedly around diagnosis time then that would be a strong T1 indicator. If you had a lot of excess weight then T2 becomes more likely. I'm sure your consultants can be relied upon for the T1 diagnosis.

See if these help.
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02287506

http://www.hra.nhs.uk/news/research-summaries/startright-pilot-study/

KEV-81

Thanks for the info and welcome all.

As posted the startright study is done by Exeter clinical research facility and aims to help with the correct help early on with diagnosis.

The blood test showed I am negative for GAD antibodies which in 80% of cases indicates type 2, but 20% of people with type 1 can still be negative.

I'm not massively over weight and wasnt trying to loose wight pre diagnosis, also family history of auto immune diseases points to type 1 also.